• jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Brumiga wrote:
    2 / Partitioning of a ssd. I opt for a ssd but I have several questions. How big should the blocks be using sfs ? Usual 512 or 2048 ? I seem to have read somewhere that it's 2048, but I'd like to be sure. How many buffers should I put for each partition ? At the beginning of morphos 1.4.x it was indicated 600, then Daff in its morphos installation tutorials indicates 128, but on the screenshots of these it is indicated 300. In the preference settings of sfs should you leave everything default or put more? Where this there and how much then?

I would say blocksizes 512 or 4096, but I haven't studied the topic well enough yet. Basically it could be better for modern SSD's to use 4096, because AFAIK they write that much data with each write, but how it's in reality with older setups otherwise...

Buffers isn't that important to decide initially, because you can always change them later and on the fly too, but generally it'll feel much faster to delete big amounts of files etc if you have bigger buffers. It'll consume more memory per partition, but I have nowadays 4096 on the drives with lots of small files and lots of usage/deleting (sys and work), but then other less used partitions 1024 or 2048. 128 is more like classic Amigas with few megs of fast ram, which just can't afford too much memory usage for partitions, so several hundreds or couple thousands are fine for our current memory sizes.
  • »27.12.20 - 19:56
    Profile Visit Website