How to run MorphOS on unsupported G5 PCIe
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > X5000 users with MorphOS got updated drivers for
    > Radeons (R500-R700-), both 2d and 3D

...with the limitation that 3D support does not go beyond R500.

> and also frequency handling

What does this refer to?

> AGP machines have Radeon R400 max.

AGP graphics cards with x86 ROM go up to R700 but I don't know if they are supported by MorphOS on PowerMac G5 AGP.

> Hyperion [...] didn't provide drivers for Radeons
    > in X5000 - Aeon did that.

AFAIK Hyperion provides a restricted (in terms of resolution, maybe also colour depth) driver with OS4 that enables at least OS installation. This driver is licensed from A-Eon or Hans de Ruiter.

> maybe just have two graphics cards in X5000?

This reportedly works with OS4/Linux (using a FirePro/FireMV card in PCIe x1 slot for Linux) but not with OS4/MorphOS. There was a dubious report of a Radeon R200 in a PCI slot working for MorphOS in the latter combination, though.

> 5-years-old AmigaOS4.1FE

FE Update 1 is 3 years old :-)

> OWB in MorphOS will be updated

Without engine update this will help only so much.
  • »16.10.19 - 14:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I believe the updated R500-700 drivers may have also had
    > something do with your exhibit at Amiga34 more than
    > satisfying the needs of a current X5000 or Sam 460 user.

Unlikely. R500 support was added together with Sam460 support in MorphOS 3.8 in 2015. R600/R700 support was added together with X5000/Cyrus support in MorphOS 3.10 in 2018.

> these offer the same limited functionality in MorphOS.

R500 cards are supported in 2D and 3D by MorphOS.
  • »16.10.19 - 15:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    I can't understand also that you want to use 5-years-old AmigaOS4.1FE instead of newly released MorphOS3.12 with updated OWB. OWB in MorphOS will be updated, OWB (or other browser) in AmigaOS4 won't. Is 3d support more important than decent web browser? I don't think so but everyone has it own priorities.

To add to this, besides bragging rights about age of gfx card, using newer gfx cards on OS4.1 gives you no added value. I have a G5 (AGP) and the latest card I can use with 3D is X1950. My AGP based G5 with X1950 is *faster* than X5000 with whatever newest PCIe Radeon and the current 3rd party A-eonkit 3D drivers (at last check).
  • »16.10.19 - 16:46
    Kronos
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    using newer gfx cards on OS4.1 gives you no added value.

You should be able to run 4k res with some of the Radeons supported by the pay-extra drivers.
  • »16.10.19 - 17:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

You should be able to run 4k res with some of the Radeons supported by the pay-extra drivers.

Hmm, you may have a point there. I do wonder how sketchy 4k would be in this environment though. 3D would probably still be slower than X1950 on MorphOS.
  • »16.10.19 - 17:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Is 3d support more important than decent web browser?

> using newer gfx cards on OS4.1 gives you no added value. [...] My AGP based
    > G5 with X1950 is *faster* than X5000 with whatever newest PCIe Radeon

Apparently, outrun1978 feels that OS4 gives him added value over MorphOS, maybe also because of OS4's superior 3D standard support (via 3rd party solution, giving him OpenGL ES 2 and OpenGL 2.1), as implied by zukow. Thus, the obvious reason for outrun1978 not choosing the G5 is that the G5 doesn't run OS4, while the X5000 does (as well as MorphOS). Hence his preference for the X5000. His choice doesn't seem to have anything to do with performance, as far as I understand.
  • »16.10.19 - 18:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Quote:

>
    and also frequency handling

What does this refer to?

Ahh, it wasn't added to Release notes as different line - so R500 had problems with some of Monitors (including my 24" Dell), lower resolutions weren't available - they gave - 'Out of sync' on the monitor. There is much better now.

Quote:

> 5-years-old AmigaOS4.1FE

FE Update 1 is 3 years old :-)

Right, with one main feature - better memory support for Classic - very important for X5000 user. I was refering to the fact that MorphOS Team doesn't support X5000 well which isn't true. Did Hyperion provide network driver for X5000 lan? MorphOS Team provided.

Quote:

> OWB in MorphOS will be updated

Without engine update this will help only so much.

MophOS Team did fixes also in the engine - CSS flexbox is working so sites such as http://allegro.pl looks ok and as more and more sites will use flexbox - more pages will look garbage on AmigaOS4.x.
  • »16.10.19 - 18:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    ..... as more and more sites will use flexbox - more pages will look garbage on AmigaOS4.x.

Yeah, the updates from Hyperion are all way too little in substance, and way, way too long in waiting for them to arrive, but pointing these things out to OS4 users does not improve their opinion of MorphOS, so it is better to just ignore what is (isn't) happening at Hyperion, and instead just point out what great things are happening on MorphOS.

If it weren't for the developer team that is funded by A-Eon & AmigaKit, that is producing consistent updates for OS4 users, we would hear a lot more complaining from those OS4 users, and maybe some of them would see the light and switch to MorphOS. Unfortunately, some of them will never consider using MorphOS, mostly because of some past very bad exchanges between the two groups of users on forum sites. People would never be so rude to each other face to face, but the illusion of being untouchable when typing stuff on a forum site makes some people (not you) write stupid and hateful things, on both sides.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.10.19 - 19:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it wasn't added to Release notes as different line - so R500 had problems
    > with some of Monitors (including my 24" Dell), lower resolutions weren't
    > available - they gave - 'Out of sync' on the monitor There is much better now.

Thanks for info.

>> FE Update 1 is 3 years old :-)

> Right, with one main feature - better memory support for
    > Classic - very important for X5000 user.

The general news and fixes that are also relevant for X5000 users don't read too shabby for such a minor release, I think :-)

> Did Hyperion provide network driver for X5000 lan? MorphOS Team provided.

Besides Bigfoot's driver provided by A-Eon for OS4, there is another Cyrus/X5000 Ethernet driver for OS4 done by Jamie Krueger to be provided by Hyperion. I don't know if this driver has been delivered beyond beta testers yet.
  • »16.10.19 - 20:13
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Without GUI scaling though, 4k is a really bad idea for anyone who doesn't have a huge 4k monitor.

So back to no added value.
  • »16.10.19 - 20:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Looks like I may get a chance to try out your unsupport very soon :-D
  • »22.10.19 - 04:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Added another tested Radeons to the google gallery (link in 1st post)
  • »26.10.19 - 21:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

zukow wrote:

What are these? Some 2400s?
  • »27.10.19 - 08:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

zukow wrote:

What are these? Some 2400s?

EDIT: I've found that the second one is Asus Radeon HD3450. I guess no 3D here.
  • »27.10.19 - 09:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    yes, radeon model number are added as comments there

no 3d and overlay doesnt work correctly in 1080p
  • »27.10.19 - 09:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Hi all. I've always been curious about MorphOS and when I heard that it un-supports Powermac11,2 now... so I bit. I've had one of these G5 macs laying around for years. I bought one of the Sapphire X1950XT "boobs" cards from ebay, flashed it for PPC and shockingly it worked. Installed MorphOS and it all seems to work besides some bootup problems due to a past FreeBSD installation.

But I know very little about AmigaOS and even less about MorphOS. If I get one of these cards is this the right card to get? And if so will the network device just appear or do I have install one of the .device drivers? I don't see any of those anywhere on the installation disk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIe-10-100-1000M-GLAN-realtek-RTL8168E/274047265184

Thank you!
  • »06.11.19 - 14:50
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

piku wrote:
    But I know very little about AmigaOS and even less about MorphOS. If I get one of these cards is this the right card to get? And if so will the network device just appear or do I have install one of the .device drivers? I don't see any of those anywhere on the installation disk.

It should just appear in the network preferences, no manual installation needed. The drivers are there in MorphOS/Devs/Networks directory, so you just didn't look deep enough ;) But as said, they are already in use and no need to touch anything. Files in the MorphOS directory aren't meant for users to mess around, so keep your hands out of it.

As you're a new user (welcome!), I'd suggest you'd read articles in the MorphOS Library. Getting Started could be useful, for instance.

Quote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIe-10-100-1000M-GLAN-realtek-RTL8168E/274047265184

I'm not a hardware expert, but would look good for me. I just bought the one Zukow recommended, but as this also seems to have the supported chipset, I can't see why it wouldn't work.
  • »06.11.19 - 15:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Thanks I see now that the card he has pictured is an RTL8111 but I can't tell what the letter is after it. I looked for a specific model to be posted and I didn't find it. The RTL8111E on ebay does indeed seem cheaper. I'd like to just not waste my time and get something that I know someone else has working.
  • »06.11.19 - 18:46
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    CraigE
    Quote:

piku wrote:
    Thanks I see now that the card he has pictured is an RTL8111 but I can't tell what the letter is after it. I looked for a specific model to be posted and I didn't find it. The RTL8111E on ebay does indeed seem cheaper. I'd like to just not waste my time and get something that I know someone else has working.

I recently managed to install MorphOS on my Quad G5 using a X1900XT and this exact network card, from this exact listing, so I can confirm this one 100% works: amazon link
  • »09.11.19 - 15:17
  • ASiegel
    @ CraigE

Thanks for sharing.
  • »09.11.19 - 15:33
  • Just looking around
    RTL8111E from ebay for $9USD works great!
  • »11.11.19 - 01:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    IMPORTANT!!! (or in fact VERY IMPORTANT :) )

Please register your morphos G5 PCIe machine. We need to know how many users can use G5 machines to add more support for that (for very low registration numbers. adding network drivers will have low priority). Paying is not necessary, just use RegTool and send info about your devices.
  • »11.11.19 - 10:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Anyone tried running Linux on a PCIe G5 with a flashed ATI Radeon 1900 XT? I am curious if you actually get to the desktop with such a card. Be it with or without HW acceleration..
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »12.11.19 - 15:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    I have two PCIe G5s for internal testing and in the 2nd one i have flashed X1950XT and it works without serious problems (although a bit different than X1950XT with PC Bios). I used older version of AtiFlash and some rom for Mac Radeon X1900GT. Flashing from PowerMacG5 PCIe itself isnt supported.
  • »13.11.19 - 08:56
    Profile Visit Website