How to run MorphOS on unsupported G5 PCIe
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    eastone
    @Andreas_Wolf

I don't need 3D acceleration at this moment. The problem is I have Debian installed next to MorphOS and would like to get a 2k resolution on both systems. I have several graphics cards, but none of them work as expected.

E.g
    Radeon HD3450 offers max FullHD (thru HDMI, there is no DP) on both systems.
    Radeon HD 4650 also only FullHD (thru HDMI, DP gives black screen) and only on Morphos.
    Radeon HD6450 gives 2k (thru DP) on Debian and black screen (thru HDMI and DP) on Morphos.

So I am asking if anyone is using Displayport on Morphos, Debian should handle it (I hope so).
  • »25.08.22 - 15:04
  • ASiegel
    @eastone

For the record, you really do not need DP for 2560x1440 (or 2560x1600).

Dual link DVI is perfectly sufficient.

Put differently, you will not have to give up 3D hardware acceleration in order to run a 2K display at its native resolution.
  • »25.08.22 - 15:31
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    I don't think you'll currently have much luck with Display Port currently, unfortunately. Display Port support is something both Cyfm and I would like to get addressed, so it's not something that's completely forgotten about at least, just something that hasn't yet gotten done.

If by 2k you mean 1440p (rather than, you know, 1920x1080, which would be 2k the same way that 3840x2160 is called 4k), then as Asiegel points out, dual link DVI should be sufficient for that. Now whether or not the mentioned hardware actually supports dual link DVI I don't know, but I'd expect at least the 4650 to do so, and I'm also not entirely sure whether MorphOS will correctly use dual link DVI hardware on those cards.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »25.08.22 - 15:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    I'm also not entirely sure whether MorphOS will correctly use dual link DVI hardware on those cards.

It has worked in the past with my Radeon 9600 Pro card if I used the first (or second) DVI port at least.

If I recall correctly, dual link DVI support was the reason I upgraded up from a Radeon 9000.

There are even Powerbooks with dual link DVI ports. Sadly, mine only supports single link DVI so I am stuck with 30 hz when I connect a 1440P display, which is certainly not everyone's cup of tea.
  • »25.08.22 - 15:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    I'm also not entirely sure whether MorphOS will correctly use dual link DVI hardware on those cards.

It has worked in the past with my Radeon 9600 Pro card if I used the first (or second) DVI port at least.

Completely different hardware and completely different code paths, so unfortunately dual link DVI support on older models doesn't really mean much in this case.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »25.08.22 - 16:30
    Profile Visit Website