• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Pegasos 2 today is nearly 15years old.

Release was in December 2003, so it's 15½ years :-)

> I overclocked Peg2 to 1.33MHz

;-)

;-) maybe I buyed him in 2004? I have to look to archive.

sorry, of course 1.33 GHz ;-)
    1.33GHz not bad, it outperforms SAM460 in Tower57 "benchmark" and have 3003 MIPS/core compares to 3960 on X1000 and 4750 on G5Quad

Last things what I can do for speedup is SATA (this topic), and overclock Radeon9800pro. I cannot reach the 9800XT frequencies, but yesteday I tested succesfully overclocking core 378->394.88, and memory 337.5->351 frequencies. Now I need change BIOS and try it on Pegasos ;-)
    Maybe later, If I find some cheap HD4xxx I will also test it on PCI slot.

There are some cards being sold as 9800Pro cards that has universally keyed AGP card edge connectors and have R360 gpu's (like the 9800XT), but again I've only kept one flashed 9800 with a 128K rom that actually works correctly in my G4.
    And many R300/R360 cards use lousy memory that is clocked below ATI's own cards, or won't handle being clicked to 9800XT speeds which limits what you can do even if you have an R360 gpu.
    Also, speed changes really require editing the rom as I don't know of a MorphOS utility that allows the adjustment of ATI gpu and vram speeds on the fly.

What would be nice is a vmod for the Peg2 that would lower the voltage supplied to the AGP slot.
    BUT, that would probably entail replacing the AGP slot connector with a 4x/8x part as well (the cards would have to physically fit.

There is a point where all this gets to be too much effort.

If you could find a PCI HD 5450 (or was it 5470) that would be an option. Good luck with that though. I have never seen one actually offered for sale. Specs on cards that were supposedly produced, but no cards.

If we had good docs for the Peg2, not just schematics, but full board layouts, we could build new boards with higher clock speeds, adjustability, and a lower voltage, more modern AGP slot, etc.
    And I don't know where you'd get the critical Marvell part.

A T10XX or T2080 based board would make more sense.

Or, as you and Andreas have concluded a Blackbird port (or the release of a late 2005 G5 port), would be more practical.

Looks like you've about maxed it out.

Why not enjoy what you have, and if you really want a G4, buy an FW800 (or just go for the G5)?
    Who said you can't have more than one MorphOS system?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.06.19 - 02:29