• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    "We will never know for sure unless..." is not a good reason to do anything but trivial tasks.

I was not suggesting that as a "reason to do anything", but simply a statement that we won't know who is more correct, unless the Dev. Team decides at some point in time to support ARM, or specifically the next Raspberry Pi. Please don't read more into what I am writing than the simplest interpretation.

Quote:

Why not port MorphOS to the C64? It could become a huge hit, and nobody can prove otherwise unless it is being done! I am sure you get my point...

I got your point perfectly, but it has nothing to do with what I wrote, see my above explanation.

Quote:

Supporting two separate processor architectures is not trivial by any means and brings severe risks of fragmentation, which would hurt the user experience. Porting the OS is the easy part. You are underestimating how much additional work it is you are asking for.

I'm not underestimating anything, and I know that the task of porting MorphOS to a different architecture, plus adding all the other features, such as full 64bit support, memory protection, and SMP support, are HUGE tasks. They are essentially creating a new OS, that is in some ways similar to MorphOS as we know it today. As this discussion progresses, and the few members actually add constructive comments, my perspective changes and grows. I am now more hopeful that the Dev. Team can create a new NG MorphOS that is mostly hardware independent, and cross platform capable, so that even if they do not support ARM at first release, they can possibly add ARM support within a year or two afterwards.

Unfortunately, I don't think that using the Linux kernel is viewed as a desirable solution to the problem of writing drivers, to many, or most of the Dev. Team, but perhaps a different kernel that also includes drivers for many hardware choices can be found and used as a starting point for the NG of MorphOS.

Quote:

Please carefully consider the following: You have no idea what hardware a future x86-64 version of MorphOS would run on but you have already decided that the choices must be less widely available and substantially more expensive than a rumored hypothetical future Rasperry Pi model that has not been announced by anybody.

You are literally asking people to publicly commit to additional work based on your own guesswork, intuition and feelings, not hard facts.

I'm not asking anyone to commit to additional work for anything! All I am asking for is intelligent discussion regarding the Pros and Cons of different architecture choices. I stated some Pros, as well as a couple of Cons, for choosing the ARM/AArch64 processor, and for the most part have gotten back just garbage and insults in return, so I will not bother to continue with this discussion, and I won't mind if you close this thread right here. No one appears to have any useful comments to make (other than the very few, by yourself and perhaps one or two others).
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.03.19 - 18:48