• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    The people looking for bargain bin hardware are the least likely to spend any money on software.......

Not if they are dissatisfied with both Linux and the cut down version of Windows on those cheap devices they already own, so I must disagree with you on this point. If the Dev. Team provides a free demo version with the 30 minute time limit, and a low entry price for the NG MorphOS, I believe that many of those Pi owners will be willing to purchase the superior OS. We will never know for sure, unless the Raspberry Pi is supported at some time in the future.

Quote:

MorphOS targets people who are dissatisfied with the other available choices regardless of what hardware they currently own.

Yes, I agree, but if the Dev. Team ports MorphOS to x64 only, and ignores ARM, or AArch64, or more specifically, does not support the next generation of Raspberry Pi's, they will be missing out on hundreds of thousands, if not millions of potential users, who by the very nature of purchasing a Raspberry Pi, have shown their interest in doing things differently, and/or experimenting with alternate solutions. Which is more likely to happen, a future owner of the next generation of the Raspberry Pi will pay "X" sum of money to purchase MorphOS NG after experiencing a demo version of it, or a potential user/programmer, who is looking for alternatives to Windows and Linux, will purchase a specific model of laptop, or desktop computer, just to try a demo version of MorphOS NG? It seems like a simple question to me, with a very simple answer. That in itself does not make the discussion a open and shut case, as there are many other factors, but I think it makes my argument worth looking into.

Edit: Remember, one of, if not the main reason for the relative success of MorphOS 2.0 and above, was the fact that it runs on hardware that can be found widely, and purchased for very little investment. Some users left, once MorphOS became an OS they had to pay for, but many more opted to buy it. In the World of Amiga NG products, MorphOS would have to be considered a success, even if it is not a success anywhere else.

[ Edited by amigadave 04.03.2019 - 13:41 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.03.19 - 21:36