• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Well.. all of these 'porting MorphOS to another CPU architecture' discussions are nice, but a bit pointless - unless you are a Dev with MorphOS source code access.

If you want to run some AmigaOS on other archs you can already do this with AROS. Here you can already help/improve existing ARM or amd64 support. Which in turn could even be a benefit for MorphOS in the future if some Dev wants to have a look at already working AROS ARM code for instance. ;-)

You are most likely correct, this discussion is pointless, unless one of the members here actually points out some valid suggestions as "Pro's" for using ARM instead of x64, and one or more of the MorphOS Dev. Team members happens to read it, and then think . . . . maybe choosing to port to ARM64 isn't such a bad idea. That one team member then talks to the other team members, and they have their own discussion behind closed doors, to make sure they still want to go forward with the port to x64, or if they want to look at possibly porting to ARM64 as well, or instead of, x64. They are free to change their minds, if they have evidence that one choice is better than their current plans.

I still stand by my statement that there are certain "Pro's" to porting to ARM64, instead of x64. I'm not sure if there are enough "Pro's" in favor of ARM64, to outweigh the "Con's", or if the "Pro's" for x64 don't outnumber the "Pro's" for ARM64, but I think it is worth having a discussion about it. Unfortunately, most of the replies to this thread have nothing to do with the discussion I had hoped would take place.

Edit: I don't know how far along the road to porting MorphOS to x64 hardware has progressed, but if it is further than just a concept, and actual x64 code has been written, there is no point in further discussion about the Pro's and Con's of x64, ARM64, or any other possible architecture change. Since MorphOS for x64 is going to be so radically different than our current MorphOS3.11 for PPC, I'm assuming that there is still a long way to go before we will be seeing a public demo of MorphOS for x64, and still longer before a public release and sales begin. I'm also guessing, that any coding work that has begun, can probably be more easily ported from x64 to ARM64, than the job of porting MorphOS3.11 for PPC to MorphOS for x64.

Can we please get back on topic, and discuss the Pro's and Con's of using ARM64 as a future target to port the Next Gen version of MorphOS to, instead of, or in addition to x64 hardware?

[ Edited by amigadave 26.02.2019 - 16:16 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.02.19 - 01:03