Custom hardware for MorphOS exclusive
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    Do you think it will come a time eventually where there will be a custom hardware designed exclusively for MorphOS where the motherboard will have the MorphOS theme and it will look pweaty and elegant and the motherboard is customized to run only MorphOS and it's apps and games?

That there will also be custom MorphOS keyboard/mouse (that works only in that hardware) and the hard drive will have the butterfly logo imprinted on it?

I would so love such hardware hehe I know it is silly and pointless and there are cheaper hardware for it...but to have a custom hardware designed for MorphOS (even if it is x86) and that if there is no hard drive or bootable device that MorphOS will prompt an insert disk screen (like the classical Amiga) waiting for a bootable device (USB, CD-ROM, even disk drive) and the kernel ROM of MorphOS will be integrated into the motherboard! MorphOS will have it's very sexy and attractive insert (animated) screen when there is no bootable media!

I would so easily buy such customized hardware! The hardware is designed in such way that it can only boot MoprhOS it is so customized that it's own custom chipset!!

Sorry...I just wanted to type the above to get my pleasure level high...I think...I am...aah satisfied. You can comment or ignore my post I just needed to get it out of my system and share it with people!

One final note! NEVER EVER EVER EVER CHANGE THE THEME OF THE WEBSITE EVER OR FORUM...EVER! I WANT IT TO BE LIKE THIS EVEN AFTER a billion years!

[ Edited by MorphOSUser 08.09.2018 - 00:09 ]
  • »07.09.18 - 23:06
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    ... Sorta like a Pegasos II board? :)
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »08.09.18 - 02:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:

Well Pegasos I at least. Pegasos II eventually got an OS4 port when Hyperion had zero other options.
  • »08.09.18 - 02:29
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    Exactly! But this time is a new hardware with what I suggested above! I swear I will buy it! Just like that! - flicks finger -

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Would be so cool if came also in Commodore style keyboard case!! - fans face -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=480zwiuM8xs <== this is what I am in right now thinking about it!!

- stands up and dances - Yes! - Claps hands - Everyone! Clap your hands together! - Claps hands -

MorphOS new custom hardware! Yes baby! WooOOooOoooow! - dances -
  • »08.09.18 - 03:03
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Hmm...isn't sarcasm usually subtle?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »08.09.18 - 03:12
    Kronos
    Rule No1: don‘t w### and post
    Rule No2: don‘t drink and post
  • »08.09.18 - 03:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Pegasos I at least. Pegasos II eventually got an OS4 port

Pegasos I and II were designed for running Linux as much as MorphOS, so none of them were ever MorphOS-exclusive. And even if there'll ever be a PPC hardware designed exclusively with running MorphOS in mind, there's no way a later port of OS4 or Linux (or any other OS) to such hardware could be prevented.
  • »08.09.18 - 08:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > custom hardware designed exclusively for MorphOS [...] and the motherboard is
    > customized to run only MorphOS [...] custom MorphOS keyboard/mouse (that works
    > only in that hardware) and the hard drive will have the butterfly logo imprinted on it
    > [...] The hardware is designed in such way that it can only boot MoprhOS it is so
    > customized that it's own custom chipset!! [...] I know it is silly and pointless

Yes, it is ;-)
  • »08.09.18 - 09:19
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:

Well Pegasos I at least. Pegasos II eventually got an OS4 port when Hyperion had zero other options.

The Pegasos II version of OS4 was announced at the end of January 2009. The ITX Sam440ep was available at the time, with the FlexATX version coming about 5 months later.
  • »08.09.18 - 11:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Hi Thierry. ;)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »08.09.18 - 17:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Hi Thierry. ;)

Did the Peg2 version come out before the SAM460 version?
    I wasn't paying attention.
  • »08.09.18 - 17:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

number6 wrote:

You might recall the switch in focus to "classic" suddenly during this period.

That I do, now that you mention it.
  • »08.09.18 - 18:53
    KennyR
    Hardware is nothing. Software is everything.
  • »08.09.18 - 19:21
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Hardware is nothing. Software is everything.

That should probably be prefaced by "once everything is powerful enough..."

But I'd have to agree with you here.

Since even very modest hardware is powerful enough, the days when hardware controlled the development of software are essentially over.
  • »08.09.18 - 20:54
    Cool_amigaN
    Hope we can stay as far away as possible from custom hardware. Getting ppc macs commodity supported hardware out on the door, was one of the best thing it has happened on the platform and one of the wisest decisions, imho.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »09.09.18 - 09:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Hope we can stay as far away as possible from custom hardware. Getting ppc macs commodity supported hardware out on the door, was one of the best thing it has happened on the platform and one of the wisest decisions, imho.

Agreed, commodity hardware = dirt cheap powermacs. Custom hardware = lame solutions like Tabor.
  • »09.09.18 - 13:49
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    Like I said...I just wanted to get it out of my system :D I am glad I am right in thinking the majority or in fact all disagree with my idea :D However, it is out of my system.
  • »09.09.18 - 18:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Custom hardware = lame solutions like Tabor.

Isn't the X5000 also custom hardware?
  • »09.09.18 - 22:54
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Custom hardware = lame solutions like Tabor.

Isn't the X5000 also custom hardware?

Yes it is, and I'd like to buy an X5000/40 for myself.
    But its not as lame as Tabor. Just overpriced for the performance it provides.
    Raptor's hints about an MATX Power9 system make more sense from a price/performance standpoint.

However, I reserve the right to make impractical decisions about what I do with my own money.

What anyone else does is their business, not mine.

Again, it's a hobby, it doesn't have make sound economic sense.

Although, from an economic viewpoint, the additional funds represented by purchasing an X5000 vs a Tabor board seems justifiable to me as I would never be satisfied with the performance of a P1022 based system, AND I already own an FW800 PowerMac with a registered copy of MorphOS.

Practicality played an issue with the compromises made in the design of Tabor (and IMHO, less so with the X5000), and look at the results.

Also, I advocated the development of a P5020/5040 based system.
    My friends have put a lot of hours into supporting it.

I don't feel it would be right not to back away from that and not purchase it.
    In fact, even if PowerMac 11,2 support is introduced for MorphOS (I already own one), I'll still buy an X5000/40.

Further, I think it will make a nice collector's item.

Next, I'd like to point out again that I do not advocate Tabor.

And, unless a Power9 system or the T2080 laptop is adopted, the X5000 will probably be our last system that can be purchased new with the intent of running MorphOS.

This thread has made me pause to consider my rationale in supporting specific platforms.

Tabor still makes no sense to me.

The T2080 laptop and Talos boards make more sense as the primary market is composed of Linux enthusiasts, greatly increasing the potential size of the user base.

And development of the X5000 started before e6500 cored cpus or lower cost e5500 cpus were introduced.

There has been a learning curve here in seeing how long it has taken to develop and introduce this custom hardware.

One thing is certain, while I would like to see continued development of MorphOS, the operating system that has been proposed for the AMD64 ISA is a very sound idea.

As with the adoption of Apple PPC hardware, the long term plans of our developers seems quite well thought out.

[ Edited by Jim 10.09.2018 - 00:52 ]
  • »10.09.18 - 04:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

In fact, even if PowerMac 11,2 support is introduced for MorphOS (I already own one), I'll still buy an X5000/40.

Further, I think it will make a nice collector's item.

Hmm... Pegasos I and II haven't achieved a "nice collector's item" status so far.
  • »10.09.18 - 14:25