• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

MartinW wrote:
    Hi there,

HDD:
    So problem is the machine didn't come with a hard drive. Nor did it come with the screws or rubber grommets to fit one. Typical!

All you need is a harddrive, a ribbon cable, four screws, some insulation and a metal mounting rack. Of course the machine will work without them, but it's always good to secure the drive somehow.

Quote:

Is there an SSD option? I have a Kingspec 32GB PATA SSD that I have had for some years but not only does the PB not recognise it but also when it is plugged in, the PB will not see the CD either - it's like it's blocking the entire IDE interface.

SSD is a good option, but it's hard to find a new PATA one. On the other hand, there's a quite-cheap option using a mSATA 1,8" drive with a mSATA to IDE adapter. But then, you'd need to secure the drive really well.
    As for the trouble with harddrive blocking the interface - I'd say it's a master/slave conflict. First of all - are you sure the ribbon IDE cable is from A1138, and not from an earlier PowerBook? If you're not sure, try to change the jumper settings on the harddrive (if there are any) setting it to slave and see what happens. You can disconnect the optical drive too and check if the computer starts to see the HDD.

Quote:

License:
    When I license the PB, if I change the hard drive will that change the fingerprint or whatever it is that is used for licensing?

MorphOS keyfile (stored on a harddrive) recognizes the motherboard. You can swap the harddrives back and forth and that will not alter your registration as long as there's a MorphOS.key in DEVS:.
  • »09.06.18 - 13:05