• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > MorphOS could run on Power 9 [...] directly (aka 'bare metal') and concurrently
    > once the issues with KVM have been worked out.

I don't think MorphOS could run bare metal on POWER9 unless explicitly ported to it. Running current MorphOS on POWER9 would require QEMU to be able to provide sufficiently correct and complete emulation (bar CPU with KVM) of a MorphOS-compatible hardware platform, which is apparently not yet the case.

> doing so under X64 would require a solution such as QEMU

It does so on POWER9 as well, just without CPU emulation when using KVM.

Obviously it would require porting, and both you and Mark are aware of the current issue with KVM.
    If QEMU is used to provide emulation for the SAM460, the X5000, or the PowerMacG5 I have no idea if the developers will allow registration of those emulated platforms.

Would they be able to tell?
    Possibly.
    I doubt that QEMU emulation outside of MorphOS 64 will be encouraged, so without a native port, we might be back to a 30 minute time out.

My primary point in bringing up 'bare metal' is that I've heard it confirmed that it would work.

And a direct port, without QEMU would provide the best performance.

So, to me anyway, these look like options. Run MorphOS PPC on currently supported PPC platforms, if its ported to Power 9 then run it on that, or if its supported under MorphOS X64 then run it on that.

Don't try to run it via QEMU on unsupported hardware, it violates the licensing terms.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »12.06.18 - 22:16