Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    with only a 650 watt psu.

ONLY ????

F###ing insane.

Unless I plan to run some render farm or suchlike I'd never touch a system needing that kinda power...

Hey, and I was only running one video card, but I did have two Xeon cpus.
    And it would still be capable of more threads than a standard desktop Ryzen.

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @ASiegel

My Peg2 would most likely survive without the single slow&small case fan it has, but I'm just to chicken to try (and there are are other reasone why it isn't my main MorphOS-system).

All in all it can be pushed >50W if I'd play some 3D game or so.

What processor is installed in your Peg2?
    And if you think about it too hard, you could claim the the PowerMac G4's cpu was"fanless" since the fan that blows across the cpu heatsink isn't attached directly to it and it basically a case fan.

At least it doesn't do anything blatantly stupid like some of the old BTX case designs where outside air is pulled across the cpu into the case.

I have a bad habit of leaving the cases I use open, so I guess fanless operation with the right choice components is a possibility.

But Power 9 is the wrong ISA to consider this for. There are some NXP PPCs that might work fanless.

But X64 would be the most practical place (other than ARM) to look for this option.
    My first choice would be something Ryzen based and I haven't seen any of the laptop variants used in a desktop board. That makes me think you'd be back in Intel's hands.
    They do have some reasonable competent low wattage cpus.

[ Edited by Jim 31.05.2018 - 13:18 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »31.05.18 - 18:02