Yokemate of Keyboards
Posts: 2548 from 2006/3/21
From: Lake Arrowhead...
i have very little time this week but i'll try to provide some doc here at weekend.
Regarding PPD files: current version is only for Postscript printers as release notes said.......
If printer supports postscript but it has some *cupsFilter inside PPD driver description You can:
1) remove the line and regenerate driver
2) try to get PPD file from windows drivers pack. As Windows doesn't have cups most of PPD drivers for Windows are clean and ready to use with my system.
1) first generate driver on Drivers tab
2) make profile from Drivers, you can have multiple profiles based on one driver (for multiple printers support or one printer with many profiles: color, gray, duplex etc...)
3) VPDF scans profile folder so You can select profile using cycle object
4) in other applications printer-handler PRINTER: device support profile argument to select to which printer it should send data. If none selected, the default one is selected.
5) if some profiles is clean (so it doesn't have any cupsfilter lines) but is still can't be added to drivers or nothing is printed - please send me this ppd file. i'll check what is wrong.
Thanks for this detailed reply Zukow, and for all your work on trying to provide MorphOS with a more modern printing system. I'm hoping to follow the advice of NewSense, and get a laser printer (color, or just black) in the near future, as I am fed up with inkjet print cartridges that dry up so quickly, making my cost per page ridiculously expensive, since I don't print out paper copies often.
@NewSense & pegasos-sigi2,
I understand your frustration, but don't agree with the tone of your "bug reports". Using a forum thread to vent is common place these days on most forums, but is sort of rare, or less frequent here on MorphZone, so maybe that is why the wording of your messages surprised me a bit. Don't forget that MorphOS3.10 is yet another FREE update, provided by programmers who are (unless things have changed in how the registration money is used by the MorphOS Dev. Team) working in their free time for zero compensation, hoping that some of the users will make donations to individual team members. I have no problem with users pointing out problems, but the best way to do that is with a "bug report" made to the Dev. Team, or individual team member who is responsible for a particular part of the OS release that is not working.
I can't ask that everyone stops using these forums to vent their frustrations, but hope that you will be considerate toward our hard working MorphOS Dev. Team members, and make some attempt to not be rude, or insulting to them, while you explain your problems and disappointments.
Edit: NewSense, as a current, or former beta tester for the printing system, you surely know how and where to contact Zukow with any bug reports, rather than using a MorphZone forum thread. I could understand using this forum to ask other users for help, and to ask if any other users are having the same or similar problems, which is part of what you appear to be doing with this thread.[ Edited by amigadave 10.04.2018 - 13:15 ]
MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.