Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Wouldn't removing hard coded address writes (forcing everything through
    > a memory allocation manager in the kernel) provide a similar level of
    > intervention as the 68K environments I previously mentioned.

You mean changing AmigaOS/MorphOS to something different, inherently incompatible? Then see thread title.

. If a legitimate process could use a kernel memory map benignly, then malware could use it just as easily.

I personally wouldn't even begin to know how this could be slotted into MorphOS or even just quark and remain compatible.

Well, we are already discussing dropping some compatibility in order to support SMP and a larger address range.

Yes, this would tweak compatibility quite a bit, but I don't think it would be that easy malware to circumvent.
    The nice thing about micro kernel structure is that its better protected than monolithic kernels.
    And the processes would not actually access the memory mapper, they would just trigger requests for services that would for the most part be transparent.
    Basically its a little like have an MMU in software.

AND, the approach REALLY reduced system lockups when implemented in 68K based systems.

>I'm guessing it would have to support privilege levels (or rings).

If I'm not mistaken this is usually how a micro kernel is implemented, with the most vital components being located at the core, and successive layers/rings like an onion wrapped around that core.

BTW - That document Andreas mentioned does seem to offer some hope for AMD's Zen architecture.

[ Edited by Jim 05.01.2018 - 20:42 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »06.01.18 - 01:35