halvor
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Please try following:

Open UnitControl! Can you see it here?

If not: Go to Open Firmware, insert a CD and enter following:

>eject CD
    or
    >eject ide1 (if CD-drive is set as slave)

If CD is ejected, your drive is recognized by firmware and we have to look why MOS doesn't.
    If not you really may have a problem with your cable or plugs (data and/or power)

Edit FYI:
    There may be no definition (devalias) for ide1 in OF of your PB. In normal case your HD is .../disk@0 and CD-Drive is .../disk@1 (other PB may be have different settings). In that case eject ide1 won't work.
    Some CD-drives can be set as Master or Slave. My experience is, that this makes on most Power-Apples (witch have Open Firmware), no difference to which it is set, but not on all! On one PB OF had troubles to find such a drive. Astonishingly OSX and MOS find it - but only after system is booted up - it was not possible to boot from that drive. After setting it to SLAVE it runs normal.....maybe your problem is similar...

Hi,

thanks for the detailed description. I’ve tried the OF eject cd command, and it worked perfectly. Also I was able to use the drive in this machine with Linux (never booted from it, I always use a USB key for that) to play audio CDs and to some extent, DVDs. I also reinstalled MorphOS to try if that helps — no luck.

UnitControl in MorphOS only lists the HDD, which I am about to upgrade to an SSD (the Delock 44-pin IDE to mSATA way). Maybe I could just imstall the HDD into the optical drive bay and leave it like that — if it works. It would be nice to have an optical drive since none of my other computers have any. But honestly, I don’t really see if I’d ever use it.

BR,
    halvor
  • »03.01.18 - 11:33