Pegasos/MorphOS graphic boards compatibility list!!!!
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I am glad I dont own PPC mac since I would be limited to Apples crazy pricing.

The pricing of graphics cards with PPC ROM may be crazy, but not necessarily Apple's. There are numerous 3rd party graphics cards intended for upgrading the stock cards the PPC Macs came with.

Good - maybe you could list those cards and availiablity now as help to MOS PPC Mac users, a growing crowd. Apple prices I have seen are just sick, AEON looks good to it.

>>> or we (team) could bake their own reflash :-)

>> Nice joke :-)

> That would be old school way.

Quote:

And unrealistic nonetheless.

Why, every EPROM can be reflashed?

Anyway, list of cards tested on SAM460ex that support MOS, I am still waiting for it and I believe I havent missed it in other threads. General answers are no no, I have to know what exactly to get if my Radeon 4000HD is no go. And I am especially interested in Low profile models since in the end board will go to Daddys X500.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »13.03.14 - 21:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Never buy HW based on *hopes* of MorphOS support, that has allways been the general recommendation, and you should (really) take this advice seriously. Sure, MorphOS with Sam460 support was announced/demoed, but until it gets here (*if* it actually gets here in the end) you will not know what will be supported and what will not. If it indeed gets here, then everything will become clear. Not until then. In the mean rime, things may change, so details won't be discussed (they never are), and everything will be pure specularions. You will know. In time. Be patient...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »13.03.14 - 21:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > maybe you could list those cards and availiablity now as help to MOS PPC Mac users

List already given to you:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=9587&start=39
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=9888&start=24

As for availability, search on sites like eBay.

> Apple prices I have seen are just sick

Again: prices are high for non-Apple graphics cards with PPC ROM as well.

>>>>> or we (team) could bake their own reflash :-)

>>>> Nice joke :-)

>>> That would be old school way.

>> And unrealistic nonetheless.

> Why, every EPROM can be reflashed?

You will have to develop the software (= the hard part to do) before you can flash it.
  • »13.03.14 - 22:24
  • Visitor
  • Thanks for your list of links.
  • »18.01.15 - 04:56
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Never buy HW based on *hopes* of MorphOS support, that has allways been the general recommendation, and you should (really) take this advice seriously. Sure, MorphOS with Sam460 support was announced/demoed, but until it gets here (*if* it actually gets here in the end) you will not know what will be supported and what will not. If it indeed gets here, then everything will become clear. Not until then. In the mean rime, things may change, so details won't be discussed (they never are), and everything will be pure specularions. You will know. In time. Be patient...

To be honest Radeon 4000HD was card offered by Acube with SAM460ex.

But Radeon X1300 is cheap and available, so I will replace it.

Since there are AGP and PCI-E versions, many MorphOS users might upgrade, if 3D gets supported. Once it gets to mature phase, please post which cards are 100% working.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »05.04.15 - 13:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Radeon X1300 is cheap and available [...]. Since there are AGP and PCI-E versions,
    > many MorphOS users might upgrade

I doubt there is a PPC ROM for the X1300.
  • »05.04.15 - 15:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Which software requires nowadays such powefull GPUs?
    Awake me...
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »05.04.15 - 16:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    the list needs to be expanded to include system name (ie: power mac g5 & model 7,2, 7,3), video card connection type AGP (2x,4x,8x, pro) or PCI-e, gpu name radeon 9800 sub series xt etc,
    memory installed- 64, 128, 256mb etc.

btw I tried my oem nvidia 5200, a radeon 9200 se, a ati all-in wonder 8500, and finally an ati 9800 xt mac edition

guess which one actually worked? guess which ones never booted morphos?

personally, I need to find out what card to buy for a power mac g5 agp, the mac edition of the 9800xt works but the card is defective- horiz blue-cyan lines tested in both morphos and osx 10.5.8

would like to find out if a agp based x1950 pro will work or what is the better choice x800 or x850?
  • »12.09.15 - 21:03
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    ?

> No, but it can obviously work with Intel based ROM

AN>No, a graphics card with Intel-based ROM can not work in a PPC Mac. I wonder how AN>many times this must be repeated until you grasp it.

Sad sad limitation as it can work on other PPC board. Now I am glad I dont own
    PPC mac since I would be limited to Apples crazy pricing.

> like my cards in SAM460ex and X1000.

U-Boot of the Sam460 and CFE of the X1000 include a rudimentary x86 emulator. That's why they work with graphics cards with non-PPC ROM.

Good. So those standards are not that bad.

> Surely Apple machines are a bit more kinky.

The PPC Mac OpenFirmware lacks an x86 emulator. Not sure whether that's to be called "kinky".

Everything about apple seems to be kinky.

> That is reality I do live each day I turn X1000.

I don't doubt your problem with your X1000 (btw, I thought you gave it away to get the Sam460?), but opposed to what you claim it is not caused by the lack of a PPC ROM in your Radeon HD6870.

Its on my desk for PPC Linux customization for DJ Nick. OpenGL, new kernel, he wants KDE ... we do live in same city.

> Hope that is not obstacle that cannot be overcomed

I'm afraid it is.

I am sad.

> or we (team) could bake their own reflash :-)

Nice joke :-)

That would be old school way.

> RadeonHD is way sooner or later

Not for PPC Macs.

Thanks for making it clear. Now list of cards I can surely
    get for SAM460ex esp. low profile and I am good to go MOS.

crazy pricing? how about $75 usd for a power mac g5 with dual 2 ghz procs and 2 gb memory versus several hundred to 1 or 2 thousand (usd) for a sam or ? board or bare system?
  • »12.09.15 - 21:08
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi,

Quote:

todd wrote:
    personally, I need to find out what card to buy for a power mac g5 agp, the mac edition of the 9800xt works but the card is defective- horiz blue-cyan lines tested in both morphos and osx 10.5.8

would like to find out if a agp based x1950 pro will work or what is the better choice x800 or x850?

I got a X1950 running in my G5, but it is way slower than the 9600Pro (Mac & PC Edition) which I still use.
    Furthermore it had some gfx errors in e.g. RTCW (tree leafes in open areas).

It also might have problems booting in combination with other cards - here e.g the G5 wouldn't start when I had a HVR1110 tv card installed too.

So, ATM I think you're better off with a X800/X850.

Bye HAK
  • »12.09.15 - 22:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I tried my oem nvidia 5200 [...]
    > guess which ones never booted morphos?

This :-)
  • »12.09.15 - 23:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I am glad I dont own PPC mac since I would be limited to Apples crazy pricing.

> crazy pricing? how about $75 usd for a power mac g5 with dual 2 ghz procs and 2 gb memory
    > versus several hundred to 1 or 2 thousand (usd) for a sam or ? board or bare system?

He was talking about graphics cards with PPC ROM.
  • »13.09.15 - 00:00
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    marmotta
    OT: I need help, no one have the ppc rom for x1900/x1950 pcie to share? I have spent lot of time to search it, but all sites are down...

[ Edited by marmotta 02.03.2016 - 10:03 ]
  • »02.03.16 - 08:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

marmotta wrote:
    OT: I need help, no one have the ppc rom for x1900/x1950 pcie to share? I have spent lot of time to search it, but all sites are down...

The only Apple PPC rom for the X1900 is for the X1900GT.
    The isn't one for the X1950Pro, or X1900XT/X1950XT.

But you don't need one to run MorphOS, just OSX.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.05.17 - 20:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    With the Favourable realease of Morphos 3.10 What new group of Radeon AGP Cards should I consider that both support 2d Overlay and 3d? 3D isn't the most important at the moment, just wondering if there would be any reason to upgrade from my 9000 series card?
  • »01.04.18 - 14:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > With the Favourable realease of Morphos 3.10 What new group of
    > Radeon AGP Cards should I consider [...]?

MorphOS 3.10 did not change anything in terms of graphics cards usable with the Pegasos II, and no future version of MorphOS (or any other OS) ever will, as the limitation to Radeon R300 series GPUs (i.e. Radeon 9800 cards) or lower is caused by the Pegasos II's hardware (AGP 1.0, 3.3 V) and firmware (unability to see any GPUs behind bridge chips).
  • »01.04.18 - 16:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    Thanks, Then I can stick with what I have,,, so the AGP Power Mac's don't share that limitation? Is that correct?
  • »01.04.18 - 20:12
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    MorphOS 3.10 did not change anything in terms of graphics cards usable with the Pegasos II, and no future version of MorphOS (or any other OS) ever will, as the limitation to Radeon R300 series GPUs (i.e. Radeon 9800 cards) or lower is caused by the Pegasos II's hardware (AGP 1.0, 3.3 V) and firmware (unability to see any GPUs behind bridge chips).

Actually, there are PCI versions of HD4350-based graphics cards. Whether those represent an upgrade compared to R300 cards depends on the use case.

Similar to the Mac Mini, a lot of older AGP cards only feature single link DVI connectors so you are limited to 1920x1200. A HD4350 card would improve on that and enable to (fully) use 2560x1440 monitors, for instance.
  • »01.04.18 - 20:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    Thanks again!!! I have a Power Mac G5 with a 9600 that I haven't converted to Morphos yet, and a PegII with a 9000 pro, I might upgrade my PegII and was just wondering what the best options are in 2018
  • »01.04.18 - 21:36
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes, and for the Peg you must be sure to get a 9800 that universally keyed (so that it will work in the 3.3v AGP slot the Peg uses).
    The card edge of a universally keyed R300 is dived up into three sections with two slots separating the middle section.
    A 4/8X R300 has only two sections with one seperation, and usually these will not work at the voltage provided by the Peg.
    This can get a little weird in that some later 9800s are based on older board designs, but use the last revision of the gpu (R360 I think, if I'm wrong Andreas will correct me).
    So, while it would seem to be impossible to use a Radeon 9800XT in a Peg (as they are 4/8X cards), some of the cards that are universally keyed and are labeled as 9800Pro cards actually carry a 9800XT gpu (and will probably overclock).
    It probably wouldn't be too hard to modify on Peg for a lower AGP slot voltage, but since the firmware won't recognize later cards, there wouldn't be any point in it.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »01.04.18 - 22:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the AGP Power Mac's don't share that limitation? Is that correct?

To my knowledge, no PowerMac shares the mentioned firmware limitation. With the mentioned hardware limitation, it depends. PowerMac G4 up to the Gigabit Ethernet (PowerMac3,3) model share it, while PowerMac G4 starting with the Digital Audio (PowerMac3,4) model and PowerMac G5 do not (they offer AGP 2.0, 1.5 V).
  • »02.04.18 - 00:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> firmware (unability to see any GPUs behind bridge chips)

> Actually, there are PCI versions of HD4350-based graphics cards.

...which should be using a bridge chip, as the R700 GPU family is PCIe only, so should be subject to the Pegasos II firmware‘s mentioned limitation, shouldn‘t it? Btw, PCI Radeons went up to the HD5450 even.
  • »02.04.18 - 01:02
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    should be subject to the Pegasos II firmware‘s mentioned limitation, shouldn‘t it?

Unlike you, I would not broadly classify graphics cards as "unusable with a Pegasos" for not showing me "SmartFirmware(tm)" for the millionth time when I boot up.

Personally, I have not updated my boot script in 15 years. When there is a CD in the drive, it will be booted. If not, the computer starts from harddisk, which is always connected to the same port.
  • »02.04.18 - 09:21