• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    The X5000 is more of a sideways move, not a forward move, from the X1000's performance level, that fact was established years ago.

I actually preferred the X1000's expansion slot setup as the P50xx doesn't offer as many PCI-E lanes, and the fact that the PA6T has AltiVec instructions is a plus.
    I don't think the PA6T core is quite as nice as the e6500 core, but it had some advantages over the e5500.

And the Gen2 PCI-E lanes, SATA2 capability, and DDR3 off the e5500 SOCs are already becoming dated, when compared to current CPUs.

I'd still favor the X5000 over the X1000, but the memory benches are disheartening. I wonder if these can be improved with better firmware.

If the choices are hoping for an X64 shift that appears to be stagnant, waiting for support for X5000 and MorphOS 3.10, sticking with what we have, or hoping for PCI-E G5 support (or some other RISC solution)...

I'm not surprised we're losing users.

David - Have a good time @ AmiWest. My guess is the focus may be the A1222.
    The teething issues with the X5000 are actually to be expected, and some of these things will improve.
    From what I have been able to tell, the X5000/40 should be ready for release soon.
    Since that will offer twice the core count of the X1000, that's the model I really think makes more sense.

And, of course, I still like the goals of the T2080 laptop project.

Hopefully some solutions to utilizing the additional cores available on newer systems will eventually become available.

[ Edited by Jim 13.09.2017 - 03:00 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »13.09.17 - 07:49