• ASiegel
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    As you will also know, there are places in the US without any building code restrictions.

Not every solar set up is the same and not everybody puts panels on their home's roof.

Where is this location within the US without any building code restrictions?

Idaho County, for example. Also, Delta County, Colorado, specifically mention on their county website that there are no building permits or inspections required in any unincorporated areas.

The first time I heard about regions with either no building codes or no enforcement of such codes was a discussion of rural areas in Alaska, by the way.

Quote:

Unless it is some kind of military, or other government property/building, that can claim to be exempt from local county and/or city code requirements, I can't think of any property within the US that is not part of a county jurisdiction, and therefore, subject to the code restrictions of that particular county.

Well, see above. There is also native American land that has a very special legal status (and its own local tribal codes and statues).

Quote:

The International Building Code has been adopted by every state in the USA, as far as I can remember.

Apparently, not all counties, especially remote rural ones, adopted their state's building codes.

Quote:

Electric codes are not so uniformly adopted.

Even areas with either lax or no requirements for building permits and / or inspections tend to require inspections of electrical installations and septic systems.

This does seem reasonable considering bad electrical installations can easily lead to fires and cause immense damage to an entire region as well as potentially kill people and animals on both neighbouring and distant properties. Likewise, septic systems can explode (methane) and poison.

Quote:

It has been just over 10 years since I was forced to retire early, due to my back problems and failed back surgeries, so I am sure some things have changed slightly, plus there were very few solar electric array installations in the small resort town where I worked, prior to my retirement.

These codes tend to change frequently, indeed. Staying fully informed is almost impossible unless you are paid to do so.
  • »07.09.17 - 15:26