• ASiegel
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    As for me updating my desktop to a newer system, I don't need to do it right now, but might do it within the next few months, mostly to help my friend out in France, who needs a newer computer, by sending her my i5 motherboard.

It might be cheaper to postpone your system upgrade (benefitting from future price cuts) and order some used hardware locally in France (or at least within the EU) now.

Shipping hardware across oceans is always a risk and rarely inexpensive.

Quote:

I'll have to ask around to see how a 6 core, or 8 core CPU will improve the performance of the couple of PC games I play, as well as my CAD program.

You will most likely not notice any difference in performance for these use cases. For people with an older GPU, buying a 200 USD GTX 1060 or RX 480 will have a dramatically bigger effect than spending 500 / 600 USD on a Ryzen chip, new mainboard and fast, known to be Ryzen-compatible DDR4 memory.

For raytracing, 8-core Ryzen chips are an amazing option compared to Intel"s substantially more expensive alternatives. Also, if you encode a lot of video files and are dissatisfied with the quality of NVIDIA's or AMD"s hardware encoders (which are insanely fast, though), then more processing cores will be very useful as well. It does not sound like these are common tasks for you, however.

Moreover, I remember you mentioning an interest in Hackintoshs in the past. It seems worth pointing out that running MacOS on AMD processors is rather painful and difficult to maintain.
  • »12.04.17 - 11:05