Crowdfunding for TALOS Workstation
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @bennymee

Wouldn't have a problem with a minITXed X5000cr ;)

Since OS4 (and MOS) are dependent on single core high clocked high cached CPU, its either
    best possible support to G5 boards (inl. my iMac G5 :D or descaling /020 and /040 boards
    to /00 single core CPU high freq.

Having dual core since x1000 does NOT make sense unless real AMP,SMP ... is supported. Promised
    and prepaid as OS 4.2 with x1000.

I wonder whats going on with MOS 3.x x64

Thus TALOS board is great, but does not make much sense for MOS OS4 saga.

Same goes even for very nice Acube laptop, which might be quite decent and only PPC laptop.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »22.02.23 - 17:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Price of Talos and Blackbird unfortunatelly increases over time.
    Originally I have in plan buy full Talos, but with one CPU only for linux.
    Before I decided, the price went up a lot.. :-(
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »22.02.23 - 18:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > descaling /020 and /040 boards to /00 single core CPU high freq.

While technically possible for A-Eon to have CyrusPlus boards with P5010 manufactured (which would make it /10, not /00), it wouldn't really make sense for the following reasons:
    - The P5010 has been EOL'ed (last delivery 09/2020) just like the P5020.
    - The cost saving compared to the P5020 is tiny in relation to the overall board price, and Linux would noticably suffer from running everything on a single core.
    - The P5010 does not clock any higher than the P5020. In fact, the P5040 clocks higher than both.

> Having dual core since x1000 does NOT make sense unless real
    > AMP,SMP ... is supported.

X1000 and X5000 (and A1222) being at least dual-core may have more reasons than just the announced multicore support for OS4 (and better Linux performance).

> Since OS4 (and MOS) are dependent on single core high clocked high
    > cached CPU, its either best possible support to G5 boards [...].
    > Thus TALOS board [...] does not make much sense for MOS OS4 saga.

As has been established, Blackbird would be way better suited than Talos II, and spec-wise it would make at least as much sense for MorphOS/OS4 as the quad-G5 and the X5000/40, and even more sense with regard to the POWER9's much higher single-core performance than anything MorphOS/OS4 currently run natively on.
    If it wasn't for the extreme price increase over the years...
  • »22.02.23 - 19:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Originally I have in plan buy full Talos, but with one CPU only for linux.

Is there any benefit of using the full Talos II with only one CPU over using the cheaper Talos II Lite?
  • »22.02.23 - 19:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Is there any benefit of using the full Talos II with only one CPU over using the cheaper Talos II Lite?

For me one much important benefit - Talos II lite and Blackbird is limited to two PCIe slots - x16 and x8. All CPU lanes used here, so you cannot have more. If you put NVMe to x8 slot, you have no space for additional expansion.

With full Talos II I have option in future purchase second CPU, and utilize other slots: 2xPCIe x16, 1xPCIe x8 + 1 OcuLink x4.
    If I buy expensive workstation, I want in future add many modern components.
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »22.02.23 - 20:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > With full Talos II I have option in future purchase second CPU,
    > and utilize other slots

Ah okay, for future expendability, makes sense. I've been well aware that the amount of active PCIe lanes/slots depends on the number of installed CPUs, so I wondered about that full Talos II with only one CPU... ;-)

> 1 OcuLink x4

AFAIK, the OCuLink port is not usable (see comment #76).
  • »22.02.23 - 21:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Ah okay, for future expendability, makes sense. I've been well aware that the amount of active PCIe lanes/slots depends on the number of installed CPUs, so I wondered about that full Talos II with only one CPU... ;-)

Every modern CPU have a certain number of PCIe lanes ( if there is Southbridge, it should have some other slower ones, but Talos have no SB ).

First CPU on Talos/Blackbird/any computer should utilize all basic peripheries ( SATA, USB, NIC, builtin gfx ) from his number of PCIe lanes. It is needed for usecase with one CPU only. Second CPU usually utilize all his PCIe lines for PCIe slots only.

It is perfectly visible here on page 12.
  • »23.02.23 - 05:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I've been well aware that the amount of active PCIe lanes/slots
    >> depends on the number of installed CPUs

> Every modern CPU have a certain number of PCIe lanes [...]. First CPU [...]
    > should utilize all basic peripheries [...] from his number of PCIe lanes. [...]
    > Second CPU usually utilize all his PCIe lines for PCIe slots only.

As I said, I'm well aware of all this, so there's really no need to explain any of this to me. The fact that I know this (i.e. full Talos II with only one CPU installed having the same PCIe capability as Talos II Lite) was very much the reason I asked my initial (and by your first reply reasonably answered) question to you.
  • »23.02.23 - 14:56