• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Bout the USB, USB 1.1 worked on 2.0 ports long before we had support for 2.0.

AFAIK thats also true for 2.0 on a 3.x port.

We are also not limited to NEC chipsets its just that these seem to be more reliable than VIA.

Agreed, I just installed a Renesas UDP720202 based USB 3.0 Express card in my i5 laptop, and once I found the proper drivers (on Renesas' website, doh) its been running completely perfectly.

And Renesas owns NEC and its IP, so any current production of the NEC USB 2.0 chips we rely on comes from Renesas, not NEC.
    I've been keeping track of Renesas, because I believe they also adsorbed Hitachi.
    Its still a relatively unknown name, but they have a nice solid collection of IP.

So you think we might initially be able to at least get USB 2.0 performance out of USB 3.0 ports?
    That could prove useful on systems that have limited USB 2.0 ports.

For example, I was under the impression that Raptor Engineering TalosII board only had USB 3.0 ports, until Andreas informed me today that it has one USB 2.0 port.
    You could use a hub to expand that, but sometimes that causes issues.

Being able to use USB 3.0 hardware at USB 2.0 speeds would be a good starting point for the eventual support of full USB 3.0 speeds.

And believe me, that 3 to 4 fold improvement in throughput really makes a difference.

I was using a USB 3.0 SATA adapter with a 2.5" SATA150 laptop drive on the afore to mentioned i5 based laptop connected to a USB 2.0 port.
    The improvement in performance with the USB 3.0 card is just astounding.

I've never used this interface for backups before because it was just too damned slow, with this upgrade it becomes a practical option.

[ Edited by Jim 18.05.2018 - 18:50 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »18.05.18 - 23:47