• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    Playing around with the RPi is great fun. It reminds me of the early days where I was just exploring computers.

..........So, it's fun but you have to put up with Linux and it's quirks.

It's much more fun than I expected and building stuff is really quite easy. They've got very good support for this in the built-in Python.

BTW They're more popular than I expected. They had sold 8 million by the time the RPi 3 shipped and they sold half a million of those in a 1 month!

"Half a million" sold in one month! Even if half of those were sold to organizations and/or resellers who add other items in an attempt to make more of a profit on volume sales, that would still leave probably more than 250,000 individual users buying RPi3 boards for tinkering with, as potential new users for MorphOS, "IF" there were ever a port of MorphOS for x64 to the Raspberry Pi, or a hosted version could run on top of Linux.

That is a very large number, so even 1/10th, or 1/20th of one percent of that number would be a significant increase to the MorphOS community, many of the new users would already be programmers, or users interested in learning how to program.

As the MorphOS Dev. Team gets closer to completing the port to x64 architecture, I'll wonder if it would be relatively easy for them to create a hosted on Linux version of the existing PPC version of MorphOS, like AEROS is for AROS. Giving away a Linux hosted version of MorphOS3.9 would be a great way to generate interest in the new x64 version of MorphOS, just weeks before it was ready to be released. That of course would depend on how difficult it is to duplicate what the AROS developers have done to make AEROS. I assume that AEROS uses the ARM version of AROS, but that might not be correct, if AROS is running in a VM on top of Linux. I should find out more about how AEROS works, before writing any more about this idea.

It would be nice if the MorphOS Dev. Team could do two things with the release of MorphOS for x64.

1. Find a way to run Linux/Windows/MacOSX/Android/Amiga 68k/MorphOS PPC, etc. software, via emulation or VM, on top of the new MorphOS for x64, so there would be lots of software that could be run from day one of its release. As others have correctly pointed out, a new OS is worthless if there is nothing to run on top of it.

2. If the release of MorphOS for x64 meets my suggestion above in #1, so it has hundreds or thousands of software titles that can be run from day one of its release, then it would be great if the MorphOS Dev. Team could get lots of free advertising of MorphOS for x64, by reviews, interviews of team members, and history articles describing the path MorphOS has taken to get to this point. Getting lots of IT reporters and publications interested enough to write about the new port of MorphOS to x64 won't be easy, and getting a favorable review might be even more difficult, depending on who is doing the review, and if they remember the Amiga fondly, or instead have a mocking attitude, because they are a Linux/Windows/MacOSX fanboy, and enjoy poking fun at anything related to the Amiga, when they have the opportunity.

It would be great though, if our community, and the MorphOS Dev. Team specifically, made the most of this opportunity. MorphOS is only going to be ported to the x64 architecture once, so lets make the most of this opportunity, as a chance to gain more users and programmers for our platform of choice.

Some users don't care if our community grows, as they seem to regard it as an exclusive club of some kind. They don't realize how this mentality reduces the chances for more software to be written for, or ported to, the MorphOS platform. We need more users and more programmers, to ensure we will continue to have a future for MorphOS.

[ Edited by amigadave 27.08.2016 - 14:45 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.08.16 - 20:35