• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    I tried RiscOS on RPi, because I remember using it back when I was at high school in 1993 on Acorn Archimedes computers. I played for it for about 10 minutes, then gave up because it had no software, and then installed Raspbian.

I suspect most people's response to MorphOS would be the same, especially if it was a brand-new supa-dupa "not legacy compatible" MorphOS that runs even less stuff.

Yes, you are certainly correct, and most people's response to trying out MorphOS on the Raspberry Pi, will be to open and close a few directories, start a few applications and one or two games, that will probably come bundled with MorphOS, just like the few apps and games which come with our current PPC versions of MorphOS. Then they will uninstall it and never think about it again, but even if most former Amiga users who try MorphOS have the same reaction, some few will decide they like what they see, and become more interested, then decide to learn more and join us. Some may return to being active users in our community, and a few will become active programmers of MorphOS software.

The point is numbers! If we are ever able to get a good port of the x64 version of MorphOS on the Raspberry Pi 3 (or later models), our chances of increasing the MorphOS user base, and number of active programmers creating new, and porting existing software to MorphOS, instantly goes way up, due to the shear number of current and future Raspberry Pi owners (future owners that will buy a RPi between now and however long it takes to finish the x64 version of MorphOS, plus more time it would take to complete a working port of the x64 version to the Raspberry Pi). Even if we only see 1/10th of one percent of those Pi owners become MorphOS users and only a dozen new MorphOS programmers, 1/10th of millions of Pi owners equals more new users than we probably have existing MorphOS users now, and maybe a number of new MorphOS programmers equal to 33% to 50% of the existing number of active MorphOS programmers.

Getting 1,000th of one percent, to 100th of one percent, of the existing Raspberry Pi owners/users would still be a significant boost to our user base, and getting even just 10 to 20 new active programmers of MorphOS software could also make a significant difference, specially for the x64& RPi versions, which will have less software to run, in the early years after its release. Depending on the talent level of those few new programmers, and how productive they are at creating new, or porting existing, software to/for MorphOS x64 & ARM (Raspberry Pi), we could actually see an increase in the speed of creating new native software for MorphOS, just because we might have more active programmers.

Having a pre-packaged collection of software for the x64 (and possible future RPi) version(s) of MorphOS, like the Chrysalis collection with installer, will be even more important and useful in retaining new users, when/if we target non-AmigaOS/MorphOS users/programmers, like the Raspberry Pi community.

As pointed out, the Raspberry Pi community probably has a higher percentage of potential programmers & computer tinkerers, which would be more likely to take a closer look at MorphOS, and therefore a higher chance of them becoming new MorphOS users & programmers. Its more than just a numbers game, that makes the Raspberry Pi such an attractive target platform. Its the type of users & programmers who are buying Raspberry Pi boards.

[ Edited by amigadave 04.08.2016 - 13:31 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.08.16 - 19:24