• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Nonsense. Even the fastest ARM is left in the dust by a mid-range x64 processor such as an i5. ARM didn't scale up - the moment they started making it try to compete with actual notebook and desktop CPUs, it ended up using almost as much power and being much weaker. Not to mention that the fastest ARM is not actually that easy to get in a board - the original Raspberry Pi is about four times slower than a single core 1.6 MHz Atom from 2009.

I heard all that "x64 is dead, ARM is the future" back in 2013. Now it's 2016, and no sign of that. No sign of notebooks and desktops being replaced by tablets either.

I know your reply was for Vox, and his nonsense posting about purchasing AmigaOS4.x from Hyperion within the next year, but I am replying to what you wrote above anyway.

I don't think anyone expects to get good computing performance and user experience from trying to run a port of MorphOS on the original Raspberry Pi device, but the Raspberry Pi 2 is much faster, and IIRC, it has 4 cores. The Raspberry Pi 3 is even faster, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for the people responsible for creating all Raspberry Pi models, to stop improving them, and making new models of the design, that are even faster in the near future. Porting the x64 version of MorphOS to the Raspberry Pi 2, or 3, or later, faster models, should provide acceptable performance for many computing tasks, and would provide a low power way of running MorphOS, but in no way would be meant to compete against MorphOS-x64, on Intel, or AMD hardware. Of course this also depends on how successful the MorphOS Dev. Team members are at keeping the x64 port of MorphOS compact, efficient, and if it still uses a micro kernel as its base. I speculate that the x64 version of MorphOS will be very similar to our existing PPC version of MorphOS, specially with regards to being small, or compact in size, running at a very fast speed (it should be much faster, due to the faster hardware that it will support), and eventually, due to the talent of our MorphOS Dev. Team members, I believe that it will result in a very efficient new operating system.

If this new x64 version of MorphOS is EVER ported to any model of the Rasperry Pi, or any other ARM device, I imagine that the ARM version & devices, would be used in different ways, than users would use the x64 version of MorphOS on desktops, and/or laptops. But my imagination of how things might be in the future could be totally wrong too.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »31.07.16 - 11:38