• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    This all sounds like Hyperion's MAP -- pipedreams and fairies.

What part of what I wrote seems like "pipe dreams and fairies" to you?

Quote:

It also ignores completely the core dogma of OS usage -- people don't use an OS to use an OS, they use an OS to use software. OS4 forgot this and made an expensive platform almost none of its original fanbase ended up using, simply because there was nothing to run on it. (Well, not completely true -- OS4 won a few converts over MOS because its support for AGA and the native chipset.) The world is replete with good operating systems like BeOS/Zeta that went nowhere because there just wasn't the userbase, software, or drivers.

Everyone knows that any OS is only as good as the software applications and games and tools/utilities, that are available to run on it, but all of that cannot be created until the OS is first created. Emulation is a perfectly acceptable short term solution to allow some software to be used, until ports of existing software, and the creation of new software, can be completed for MorphOS-x64. That is unavoidable if MorphOS is ever going to move forward and have any chance of doing modern computing tasks in the future. If all you want is a retro computing experience, you can stick with the PPC version of MorphOS, or go back to the original AmigaOS on 68k hardware (or FPGA clones), or even switch to AROS, or AmigaOS4.x. No one is forcing the user base to switch to the new x64 version of MorphOS, but the Dev. Team will attempt to make an OS that has many of the features that keeps most of us wanting to use MorphOS instead of any of the alternative operating systems, while also adding the features of modern operating systems, which allow development of software that allows us to do almost everything other users do on the Windows, MacOSX, and Linux platforms, in a better, faster, more elegant and pleasing way, without the bloat and unnecessary confusion used in all other operating systems.

Quote:

I don't know about y'all, but I used MorphOS because it finally let me use my Amiga applications on a system that wasn't designed in the 1980s and on a CPU that had enough power to do basic computing in the early 21st century. I didn't use it because it wasn't Windows or Linux -- Windows and Linux, which are fully SMP-capable, x64/ARM operating systems, work just fine for me.

If you are satisfied with the performance and user experience of Windows, MacOSX, or Linux, then maybe a new x64 version of MorphOS is not for you, but I strongly believe that a better solution is possible, and I welcome an opportunity to use a new operating system similar to MorphOS, or new, or nearly new x64 hardware, that is available at a reasonable price, all over the world. I do not enjoy how Windows, MacOSX, or Linux work, and frankly get very frustrated often, while using those systems. I only use them because they are the only alternatives at this point in time, to run specific software I want to use. Hopefully, within the next 5 years, many/most of the software I want to run, will have port available, or an equally satisfying alternate program written to run natively on MorphOS-x64, and I can further reduce my dependence on Windows, MacOSX, or Linux.

To each his/her own! Use what you want to run what you need/want to use, and enjoy life, because it is very short, and time is precious.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.07.16 - 00:02