• MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

clr666 wrote:
    U need to find SATA to IDE 44 adapter like this:

2_5_39_39_Hard_Drive_SATA_to_IDE_44_Pin_Converter_Adapter_1455_6.jpg

I do the same, and MM have enough space inside for placing 2.5" SATA drive with adapter without cutting of everything. Only one moment - you need new hole(s) for new drive for fix it inside frame by screw. Also you can remove terrible speaker, you get more space for drive and can forget about "TADAAA" during each boot :)

This will not fit in any of your devices without reworking them.

There is no space in macmini, ibook or powerbook to apply such adapter. Use an 2.5" to mSATA adapter. I recomment the one sold from DeLock. Then get a mSATA SSD and you will be happy.

SSD in a (portable) computer is so much fun. Not only about the massive speed boost, but also about how you can use your device. No more moving harddisk parts inside allow you to move with a device as you want, not the other way around.

Avoid cheap adapters as they may overheat due cheap power converters. The DeLock ones are proved to be working nicly and nothing is won if you buy two or three cheap interfaces just to learn the little more expensive one would have saved you money in the first place.

Plain 2.5" IDE SSDs are expensive more or less first generation SSD technologie, small and slow. You don´t want that. Go for mSATA and you can get sizes up to 1TB and above if you want, while real IDE SSDs are limited around 120GB for a price you can get the mSATA equipment plus a 250GB mSATA card at least.

For G5 systems i recomment the cheapest SanDisk SATA SSDs at least for the system drive. I own 6 of them and they all worked perfectly.
    Latest was a 240GB for 70 Euros. Don´t get the high speed ones for our systems.

The slowest SSD you can buy now, will even, when handled without trim and other SSD commands, be faster than any of your systems can handle speed wise. Even in worst case those "slow" drives do around 300-350MB/s reading and writing, while their max is about 550MB/s or so. Paying for faster versions simply gives you nothing in return as the speed is lost in the machine.
  • »30.01.16 - 11:01