MorphOS shuts down on G5
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Right. What temps is it showing? Are t he fans running balls out? When you say you added fans, are you saying you took out the LCS and added an original G5 air cooled HSF?

I have a similar issue with my G5 converted(*) from 2.7 to 2.5, LCS to HSF. The ASD won't properly calibrate the CPUs, but each time I run the calibration it does enough to be able to use the system fine. Every once in a while it will start doing similar to what you describe. The fans will start screaming, and the temp inidicator disappears. The computer will shut down about once every 5-10 minutes until I recalibrate again. Once I recalibrate, i can go a long time with no problem.

* The original 2.7 cpus stopped working. I replaced with 2.5 and they work fine other than not calibrating fully. It is my understanding G5 are finicky about calibrating after swapping CPUs in general.
  • »08.12.15 - 22:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Thermal.sbar was my first idea to where I should into but sadly it doesn't work at all (it doesn't even appear!). Fans run high when I power on the machine but afterwards (when booting into the OS) they get back to normal (?) levels. Fans added are directly attached on the front and rear of the cpu modules. How often will it need re-calibration and how the fuck do I do it? I do tend to spend a lot of time on my MOS setup (plus the G4 used to stay up for a lot of hours/days), I hope that after a re-calibration, I won't be needing doing so every 24 hours of usage.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »08.12.15 - 22:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Well, IF you need it, I have the liquid cooler from the model (another poster bought the cpus).
    It might even be the cooler from your system.
    And I wouldn't mind shipping it to you.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.12.15 - 13:06
    Cool_amigaN
    Jim, gimme a few days to decide. I am running across the web to gather info about this subject. Today I 'll run calibration through the ASD (though I don't believe it will make any impact) and I 'll revert with more news. I checked briefly MorphOS running on that beast and I am determined not to get back at my G4 :)
  • »09.12.15 - 14:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Thermal.sbar was my first idea to where I should into but sadly it doesn't work at all (it doesn't even appear!)

Ouch! Did you check the CPU temps under OSX? If that fails too then the thermal sensors are pretty much dead/disconnected. If you're able to read the temperature under OSX then add about 30º and you have your temp under MorphOS :) The G5 shuts down somewhere over 100º centigrade (not sure if it's more 110 or 150 though).

Quote:

Fans run high when I power on the machine but afterwards (when booting into the OS) they get back to normal (?) levels.

Do you have original CPU fans, or are they replaced? The original, Apple ones are voltage-regulated and speed up when needed (although not with faulty thermal sensor...). AFAIR there's no easy way to do that with generic fans, so basicaly they spin at the same speed all the time, and that could be a problem too, if the cooling is not sufficient for this unit.

[ Edited by koszer 09.12.2015 - 18:26 ]
  • »09.12.15 - 16:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Calibrating with the ASD should do the trick if the calibration is successful.
  • »09.12.15 - 19:23
    Cool_amigaN
    @Koszer

Where the heck are the thermal sensors on OS X ffs? I just boot it accidentally to MorphOS again and thermal sbar is up and running! I get the following values: 70oC after boot, 75oC on idle, 80oc when launching OWB (and casually browsing), 84oC when trying Wings demo (now it's stabilized on 83oC even though I am just using OWB). However, I haven't started intense usage of the system (Blender, many 3D games for a lot of hours, e-UAE, hd movies etc). What's the normal temperature for the G5? I get mixed information from reading various apple nab past discussions on the net.

Btw, the fans are generic. Is it possible to make them run full speed all the time? Better be safe even if they make a lot of noise.

EDIT: After one hourof regular browsing, I have steady 88oC.

@redrumloa

What values are you getting on your G5? Now I can hear the fans responding (going on/off with different speeds), while I am on MorphOS. Haven't performed ASD yet. Will continue testing and reporting :)

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 10.12.2015 - 00:36 ]
  • »09.12.15 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    @Cool_amigaN:

I had similar issues hardly traceable on a x86 system. After a long, long search including replacing differents parts, etc. it turned out that the power supply was the cause of these crashes and the instability. Maybe you you have some gear to check if the power supply provides the neccessary voltages in a sustainable manner?
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »09.12.15 - 20:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Sorry for a late response, dying sick atm :(

This behaviour never happened to me that's why I asked Cool_amigaN to check if all the fans are working and on their place as they could move while computer was sent.

I see no point of calibrating anything as those fans are connected straight away to molex, at 7V as far as I remember. I had the same temperatures as you are reporting, about 87, 88 when I was normally using system (I had the same values with LCS anyway).

I would remove heatsinks and apply new thermal paste on them and again make sure that fans are in place. You can change voltage for 12V if you wish.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »10.12.15 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I thought this was Wiktor's system.
    The temps are not prohibitively high.

And his hardware is usually bulletproof (after all, he is the only one of you who has sourced what he wanted THEN asked me to get it to him).

That said, G5s have been the touchiest systems I have ever run MorphOS on.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.12.15 - 15:42
    Cool_amigaN
    My endeavour continues: Tried thermal calibration through ASD and I get the following error: "CPU0 results code - CPU0 slot number verify failed.If calibration fails run calibration again. If calibration fails for second time replace processor".
    When clicking calibration I get the following error: "ERROR CPU0 - CPU0 Intake fan speed error. Check that inner door is secure" [...]. Reclicking calibration results to same error.

Googled the error and sadly no helpfull thread arise about the problem :(
    Needless to state that I do have the plexi connected (the red light on the mobo is off). Also, I have to reboot several times in order to get the thermal.sbar on MorphOS up and working (1/10 tries).

OTOH, I run ALL individual hardware tests through ASD about thermal sensors and CPU0 and each and everyone passed (wtf?).

Any ideas what I should look into? What's CPU0, the upper or lower? Also, does anyone has a complete schematic of the mobo of its various sensors?

@Wiktor

Sorry to hear about your health mate. Hope you improve :) I also got a cold the other day ffs.
    Btw, strange taste in music you have, although we agree on movies :P Well, you did forgot about 388GB of personal files on a parition (duzy?) available on MACOSX. Would you like me to back up them and send them back to Poland for you before I format them? Also, how the heck you switch the fans to 12v? Perhaps that might help me on my problem.

EDIT: 89oC steady 1st CPU (which one of them though?) after 1 hour straight 720p YT playing, 2nd CPU 72oC.

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 11.12.2015 - 20:21 ]
  • »11.12.15 - 17:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    As I said running calibration will give you errors as stock fans are removed so not much to valibrate left.. About my data, just wipe it out, sorry forgot about that.

12v, just google for colors on molex, i dont remember right now :) Btw did you try to run MorphOS from cd and check if it makes any difference?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »11.12.15 - 19:02
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Problem persists and seems to be solely related to MorphOS I think. I have installed ThermographX under MacOS and these are the values I am getting on the sensors: http://postimg.org/image/flxj6wl0t/ . To the best of knowledge they look ok. ASD gets all my sensors green/passed. All fans are running ok and without noise (I have de-installed and installed everything from scratch as well - even the battery :P - just to be sure).
    OTOH on 9/10 boot attempts and the sensor sbar on MorphOS 3.9 (registered) doesn't even appear (same on 3.8 version). Right click on sbar modules and going to sensor sbar settings, it's completely empty. Boot from 3.9 cd as well and again I got the same behavior. System shuts down after 5-10 mins max. When/If I get the sensor.sbar up and running, system runs fine for lots of hours.
    Any ideas what I should look into? Perhaps a log or something?

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 08.01.2016 - 14:28 ]
  • »08.01.16 - 11:28
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    ThermographX almost sounds like CyberGraphX. Would be cool (or hot?) to have that available for MOS as well.
    BTW: I find many webpages calling themselves CyberGraphX on the net. Who was first, our graphics driver or one of them?
  • »08.01.16 - 12:29
    Cool_amigaN
    Checked the debug log and it's empty as well. What could cause the Thermal.sbar to be empty on MorphOS?
  • »09.01.16 - 09:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Checked the debug log and it's empty as well. What could cause the Thermal.sbar to be empty on MorphOS?

Does that happen when you boot from CD as well?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »12.01.16 - 10:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @pampers

Hi! As I have written on above posts, unfortunately yes.

Yesterday, I upgraded MacOS to 10.5.8, installed a different sensor app (hardwaremonitor) and the values seem identical to ThermographX with a slight variation on the CPU A (displaying around 50 degrees Celsius instead of 38 I was getting). System run for approx. 1,5 hour without any problem (btw, internet browsing seems unbearably sluggish compared to MorphOS Odyssey :)).

Today I am thinking of booting from Linux PPC wiping out MorphOS SYS and giving it a try on a clean installation with different partition type than PSFS (even though booting from the cd didn't seem to have any effect but who knows), or perhaps installing Linux just to perform some additional tests.

I 've sent an e-mail to jacadcaps regarding thermal.sbar but haven't heard from him yet.

Had you tested MorphOS on the machine prior to the sell and everything was ok? Or did you installed before shipping without extensive testing?
  • »12.01.16 - 14:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Had you tested MorphOS on the machine prior to the sell and everything was ok? Or did you installed before shipping without extensive testing?

That was my beta machine for some time so I did use it with MorphOS before but cannot recall such a problems.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »12.01.16 - 14:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread. Maybe I can help explain some of the symptoms.

Quote:

Thermal.sbar was my first idea to where I should into but sadly it doesn't work at all (it doesn't even appear!).

If you don't get any temperature readings, then likely the fan control module isn't running at all(!). The hardware notices the lack of software fan control and will shut down your computer. That's very likely what you're seeing (shutdown due to lack of software fan control), not because it is overheating as such.

When you boot the system and you can't get any temperature readings, launch task manager and check if you have a task called "PowerMac7 Fan Control" running. If not, then fan control indeed isn't running. There are a few special case scenarios where it will bail out because it believes it is running on an invalid system. One of these cases is if it detects a liquid cooled system but only detects one processor.

If the above is the case, then you can add 'edebugflags init' to your MorphOS boot script, which if I remember right is located at 'boot:bootinfo.txt' (someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have a Mac running right now to verify ;)). After editing the file, don't forget to run 'hfssetmacboot boot:bootinfo.txt' (again, if I'm wrong about the filename, do it on the correct file name). After doing this, you should reboot and if you've run into the case where you can't get any thermal readings, launch a shell and run 'getramdebuglog'. A file named 'morphos.log' should now appear in the current directory, which would be ram: after starting a shell.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »12.01.16 - 15:34
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    With the valuable help of Mark the problem has been identified and it was exactly the issue he had described up above, though I was already suspecting that transportation might have moved something and requested from a friend of mine to inspect the cpu units. Hopefully a reseating on units will fix everything. Will report the following days, once I find the time to take the beast apart.
  • »13.01.16 - 07:45
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @bigfoot

A friend of mine inspected the G5: screws of upper heatsink were/are blemished and it looked like the machine was damaged during transportation. After re-seating both cpus the system now won't even boot, so I assume that re-seating wasn't done properly. Apart from that, any further ideas?

@pampers

Were you using the machine placed horizontally on the floor or upwards as regular?
  • »03.02.16 - 10:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Regular, standing with PSU on the bottom.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.02.16 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Performed the re-seating but it seems that even on the slightest move the upper cpu gets dislocated (even though it has no visible signs of dismounting it just doesn't get recognized). Next step is to determine with certainty whether this is a problem caused by the cpu slot on the logic board (hope not) or from the huge heatsink.

In the meantime, pampers, do you happen to have kept the water-cooling system or have a spare heatnink in case any of the aforementioned are needed?
  • »15.02.16 - 13:44
    Profile Visit Website