MorphOS on AmigaOne X5000?
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >Right, but while in theory there shouldn't be compatibility problems, some PCIe v3 cards have been reported to not work in PCIe v1 slots.

Its more complicated than that.
    I haven't finished discussing this with AMD, and using later cards in a v1 slot will probably need some experimentation.
    As I've said before, the Radeon HD 6570 will work in a G5.

BUT, there actually may be problems using v3 cards in v2 slots as well.

This is a partially quote from a message I received from AMD tech support today, "I believe that the HD7000 series GCN1 GPUs should work with the older PCI-E 2.0 revision Motherboards, however you may encounter issues if you attempt to use anything newer as we have had reports from customers that had compatibility issues when using the new RX400 and 500 series with PCI-E 2.0 motherboards."

SO, NXP lists the PCIe controllers in the P50xx as PCIe 2.0/3.0, but what has Aeon/Varisys implented?
    If those slots ARE only v2, they may not work with future AMD based video cards.

AND, does AMD's statement about v2 apply to v1?
    If so, the G5 could potentially support the 7000 series cards, if not the 6000 is pretty good (and probably the best we are likely to get support for in the next driver upgrade anyway).

Its a story that is continuing to evolve, but I personally am moving forward on putting together an X5000 (although I do have a Quad 2.5 GHz G5 sitting in the wings).
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »02.08.17 - 18:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > So the X5000 PCIe x16 slot only has 4 PCIe v2 lanes connected,
    > effectively meaning 1/2 of the theoretical bandwidth of the
    > x16 PCIe v1 slot of the PowerMac...?

Yes, exactly. And also half the bandwidth of the X1000 PCIe v1 x16 slot.
  • »02.08.17 - 22:18
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    'theoretical bandwidth'...hmm, in the real world, not terribly significant.

Again, what is worrying me more is will these boards work with later video cards?
    So far, no one has even shown one working with a GCN gen2 card.
  • »02.08.17 - 22:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > NXP lists the PCIe controllers in the P50xx as PCIe 2.0/3.0

They list it as "2.0/3.0" in one place and as "1.1/2.0" in others (like fact sheet and product brief). I firmly believe that "3.0" is not correct.

> what has Aeon/Varisys implented?

Their press release linked to above clearly states "Gen2".

> does AMD's statement about v2 apply to v1?

I think v3 cards not working in v2 slots also won't work in v1 slots, and that v3 cards working in v2 slots not necessarily work in v1 slots.
  • »02.08.17 - 23:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >I think v3 cards not working in v2 slots also won't work in v1 slots, and that v3 cards working in v2 slots not necessarily work in v1 slots.

Seems probable.

So the G5 likely tops out at the 6000 series, whereas the X5000 supports the 7000 series, most of the R5, 7, and 9 cards, and possibly some higher cards.
  • »03.08.17 - 12:07
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Sam460 is PCIe v1.1 and the X1000 is PCIe V1.x (unsure which rev) and both work with 7000 and RX series cards. A Sam440 with a PCIe-PCI bridge card tops out with the 6000 series but it's suggested that the limitation is in Uboot rather than the bridge.
  • »05.08.17 - 03:00
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    Sam460 is PCIe v1.1 and the X1000 is PCIe V1.x (unsure which rev) and both work with 7000 and RX series cards. A Sam440 with a PCIe-PCI bridge card tops out with the 6000 series but it's suggested that the limitation is in Uboot rather than the bridge.

Thanks Rob,
    We've been tossing this around, and it seems likely that AMD's tech support staff is just throwing around qualifiers out of over caution.

I haven't been able to find any logical reason that even v3 (or v4) PCI-E cards shouldn't work in a v1 slot.
    The SAM440 isn't supported by MorphOS (only OS4), and PCI-E to PCI bridge components (at least for video cards) aren't supported yet (unless one considers to PCI-E to AGP bridge chip used in some of the cards we support, and that's not the same thing AFAIK).
  • »05.08.17 - 11:05
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > both work with [...] RX series cards.

Really? ;-)

http://www.amd.com/en/rx-series

Yeah...that's not the info I'm getting out of AMD.
    What they are saying is that the RX cards may very well NOT work with older slots, and that they have customers reporting issues using this combination.

And a quick search of the internet does seem to confirm that some users are having problems.
    Whether its a hardware or firmware issue isn't easy to figure out, but it does look like we're going to have to work this out on our own.

In any case, everything looks good up to GCN gen1, which we don't even have support of yet.
    So our concern is probably premature.

AND AMD's conditional statements could just be cover for an inability to address all possible combinations of older and newer hardware.
    After all, they threw in qualifiers for pre v2.0 slots when used with GCN cards, a combination that seems to be working.
  • »05.08.17 - 16:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Well here's to the hope of MorphOS being released soon for the X5000. I just had an order placed to build me one! Fingers crossed its as nice as my G5 is when I get it next week some time.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »25.08.17 - 21:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Well here's to the hope of MorphOS being released soon for the X5000. I just had an order placed to build me one! Fingers crossed its as nice as my G5 is when I get it next week some time.

Congrats! (I think)

Surprising that they will get it built, tested and shipped out to you in only one week, but I imagine that sales of the X5000 aren't so hot that they are literally flying off the shelves and into buyers hands.

Will you be bringing your new X5000 to AmiWest this year?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.08.17 - 22:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Congrats! (I think)

Surprising that they will get it built, tested and shipped out to you in only one week, but I imagine that sales of the X5000 aren't so hot that they are literally flying off the shelves and into buyers hands.

Will you be bringing your new X5000 to AmiWest this year?

Sadly no. It's looking like I'll be out of town for work over that weekend.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »26.08.17 - 23:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    It's out for delivery, any word on MorohOS for it?
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »05.09.17 - 23:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Oh nooooooo!

That is a real shame. No way to reschedule the work commitment to a different day?

They shouldn't be scheduling you to work weekends, but this is "America", where the greedy rule, and don't give a sh!t about their employees.

Sorry to read that you won't be at AmiWest this year.
  • »06.09.17 - 05:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Oh nooooooo!

That is a real shame. No way to reschedule the work commitment to a different day?

They shouldn't be scheduling you to work weekends, but this is "America", where the greedy rule, and don't give a sh!t about their employees.

Sorry to read that you won't be at AmiWest this year.

I work FOR the government, lol. I've left Intel. I've got an x5000 though!
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »07.09.17 - 02:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Yes, but you are an outside contractor, aren't you? So, not actually a direct employee of the government, but still subject to there whims regarding when they want you to work.

Actually, I have heard that contractors working for the government or military part of the government, get paid very well, for the work they are doing (hence the huge lobbying efforts by all the military contractors in Washington, to keep the "War Machine" well oiled). That is far off topic though, so we shouldn't get into a discussion about it here.
  • »07.09.17 - 04:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Yes, but you are an outside contractor, aren't you? So, not actually a direct employee of the government, but still subject to there whims regarding when they want you to work.

Actually, I have heard that contractors working for the government or military part of the government, get paid very well, for the work they are doing (hence the huge lobbying efforts by all the military contractors in Washington, to keep the "War Machine" well oiled). That is far off topic though, so we shouldn't get into a discussion about it here.

Not a contractor, I work directly for the Government. I am a federal DOD civilian. GS-12 Step 4.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »08.09.17 - 04:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Googled GS12 step 4.

https://www.generalschedule.org/GS-12

Internet is amazing. :)
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »08.09.17 - 12:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Tcheko wrote:
    Googled GS12 step 4.

Haha, bit off topic, sorry about that. Look in LA county for the actual salary if you were interested. We all get a bonus rate depending on the part of the US we are in.

Back on topic, is any mention of the status for MorphOS posted any place at all?
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »09.09.17 - 03:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Quote:

Tcheko wrote:
    Googled GS12 step 4.

Haha, bit off topic, sorry about that. Look in LA county for the actual salary if you were interested. We all get a bonus rate depending on the part of the US we are in.

Back on topic, is any mention of the status for MorphOS posted any place at all?

I haven't seen anything posted regarding a definitive release date for 3.10, but I was hoping that it would be released prior to, or during the Oct. AmiWest Show. I'd like to see it running on an X5000 while I am at the show, but I have no knowledge regarding if it will be ready by then, or not.
  • »09.09.17 - 03:51
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Did you post your thoughts/review on the X5000 with AmigaOS to one of the other sites Paul?

I got very bored lately and longing for some Boingball back in my life... :-D
  • »10.09.17 - 22:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

JKD wrote:
    Did you post your thoughts/review on the X5000 with AmigaOS to one of the other sites Paul?

I got very bored lately and longing for some Boingball back in my life... :-D

No Steve I havent, but I was thinking about doing it. It honestly feels like it did back when we first showed off the release of the Pegasos II together that first year it was out at AmigWest. Its still quite a bit behind MorphOS is feel and stabiliety, but as far as AmigaOS goes, well it does have that good old feeling.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »14.09.17 - 06:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Hey Paul,

do you remember this quote by you earlier in this very thread?

Quote:

Acill wrote:
    We will sure as hell beat them in price for a G5 system over what a X5000 will run! I cant see any reason to spend that kind of money when you can get a fantastic Mac system. If they want to sell those things in significant numbers the price needs to come way down. It cant be even slightly near the X1000 prices!

yet again they did sell out of those, but know knows.

I specially like the last sentence of your quote, which I have moved to just below this sentence of my own.

Quote:

Acill wrote: The "Amiga" market is nuts.

I guess you changed your mind about the X5000 since that earlier post. ;-)
  • »15.09.17 - 21:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Hey Paul,

do you remember this quote by you earlier in this very thread?

Quote:

Acill wrote:
    We will sure as hell beat them in price for a G5 system over what a X5000 will run! I cant see any reason to spend that kind of money when you can get a fantastic Mac system. If they want to sell those things in significant numbers the price needs to come way down. It cant be even slightly near the X1000 prices!

yet again they did sell out of those, but know knows.

I specially like the last sentence of your quote, which I have moved to just below this sentence of my own.

Quote:

Acill wrote: The "Amiga" market is nuts.

I guess you changed your mind about the X5000 since that earlier post. ;-)

Not at all. I didnt pay for my X5000 in the traditional way. I ended up getting rid of a couple classic machines that I upgraded and repaired in trade for the funds to get one. An A4000 with an 040 and several upgrades and an A3000 with the same.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »17.09.17 - 00:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    i sold this for have the money for buy my x5000 ... and this made more sed

Amiga 4000 PPC
  • »17.09.17 - 05:07