MorphOS on AmigaOne X5000?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Speaking of Hermans, how many years has it been since he proclaimed
    > in the forums it was not only possibly to implement SMP in OS4, but
    > it wouldn't take a year? Has it been 6-7 years?

It was 5 years ago that he said it wouldn't take 2 years.

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=336

> I'm sure you have it bookmarked :-D

I don't, but it's easy to find again :-)

Thanks!
  • »10.10.16 - 13:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    as the chances of MorphOS running on X5000 are practically nil

Yeah, you got me there. Honestly it's AmigaOS 4 with MorphOS skin I'm testing for over a year now :P
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »10.10.16 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

Yeah, you got me there. Honestly it's AmigaOS 4 with MorphOS skin I'm testing for over a year now :P

Wiktor, this guy is going to take you seriously, you know that don't you? ;)
    I like tweaking crazy people as much as the next guy, but...
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »10.10.16 - 14:32
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    I remember when I moved to a town in the South Wales valleys as a kid. There was a mentally impaired guy that always wore a Liverpool FC shirt, scarf and bobble hat. Some of the local kids had worked out that if they shouted Man United once, he'd go on a long rant about how shit Man United were.

[ Edited by rob 15.10.2016 - 01:20 ]
  • »10.10.16 - 19:33
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    I remember when I moved to a town in the South Wales valleys as a kid. There was a mentally impaired guy that always wore a Liverpool FC shirt, scarf and bobble hat. Some of the local kids had work out that if they shouted Man United once, he'd go on a long rant about how shit Man United were.

I kinda like the comparison of OS4 to Liverpool FC :)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »10.10.16 - 20:25
    KennyR
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

Say, you didn't have to make outside-warranty alterations to the board or anything did you?

[ Edited by KennyR 11.10.2016 - 00:28 ]
  • »10.10.16 - 21:26
    KennyR
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > the chances of MorphOS running on X5000 are practically nil

Huh?

You just noticed that one?
    Weird huh?
    Considering Wiktor has a system running it, I'm baffled.

And as of last night, we can all buy one.

So what would prevent it is completely beyond me.

True, but at least it won't be beyond you forever.

Caveat emptor, as they say.
  • »10.10.16 - 21:28
  • rob
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    I remember when I moved to a town in the South Wales valleys as a kid. There was a mentally impaired guy that always wore a Liverpool FC shirt, scarf and bobble hat. Some of the local kids had work out that if they shouted Man United once, he'd go on a long rant about how shit Man United were.

I kinda like the comparison of OS4 to Liverpool FC :)

4th in the premier league may be up-playing OS4 a little but if that's how you see it, which operating systems do you feel equate to Man City, Tottenham and Arsenal?
  • »10.10.16 - 21:28
    KennyR
    Quote:

rob wrote:

I find myself wondering how you managed to tell him apart from all the other Welshmen.
  • »10.10.16 - 21:31
    KennyR
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

I don't think it's worth debating, as the chances of MorphOS running on X5000 are practically nil, so nobody's going to be buying that stuff and not using it.

Just say a little bird told me.

Hmm... If there is truth to that statement then the MorphOS Team should issue a statement quickly, so people like Jim aren't suckered into buying an X5000 or Cyrus board early which will not see a MorphOS release.

I don't think the responsibility rests with the MorphOS team to stop people buying hardware that, for one reason or another, won't support an official MorphOS release. It's up to people like Jim to wait until there is an official MorphOS release on it before buying one.

$1500 is a lot of money to waste on a leap of faith, and "It won't run the OS I wanted" isn't a valid warranty claim, especially as the seller make absolutely no claims as to running it.

So, people have figured out that there is no practical reason why MorphOS wouldn't run on X5000, it clearly does. There isn't a legal leg to stand on not running MorphOS on X5000, as even in 2016 you can still run anything you want on a computer. Or, wait, can you? I have a theory. Let's see how it pans out.
  • »10.10.16 - 21:37
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    This post was edited by a moderator.

Reason for editing: A 120+ word comment filled with personal insults towards another forum member is completely unacceptable. The F-word, which was later edited by the author himself, was nowhere near being as offending as any of the other content. (ASiegel)

The "f-word" was never used.
    If Andre wants to pretend that it was, that's his concern (since the only time I have ever used that word in relation to this forum was in a direct PM to Andre himself).

But as far as the other content, I stand by it.

Clearly the poster has under the impression that he has secret information no one else has, and that would appear to be delusional.

So, why doesn't he put up or shut up?

[ Edited by Jim 11.10.2016 - 05:51 ]
  • »10.10.16 - 22:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    I don't think the responsibility rests with the MorphOS team to stop people buying hardware that, for one reason or another, won't support an official MorphOS release. It's up to people like Jim to wait until there is an official MorphOS release on it before buying one.

Yes and no. Technically yes, but if things went sour and a hardware partner is either acting in bad faith or for some other reason will block support, it would behoove them to let their userbase know. The MOS team has been pretty open that the X5000/Cyrus is a target platform. If this has changed, don't drive sales to the competition.
  • »11.10.16 - 01:58
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

So, people have figured out that there is no practical reason why MorphOS wouldn't run on X5000, it clearly does. There isn't a legal leg to stand on not running MorphOS on X5000, as even in 2016 you can still run anything you want on a computer. Or, wait, can you? I have a theory. Let's see how it pans out.

Please note that MorphOS was publicly demonstrated running on an A-Eon X5000 at the Amiga 30 event in Neuss, Germany. Where do you think the developers got the required development hardware from more than a year before retail deliveries finally started?
  • »11.10.16 - 05:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I was there at Neuss, I can confirm that there was indeed a working beta of MorphOS running on a X5000 there. The developers there confirmed it as well.

I took a picture of it and uploaded it to Wikimedia.

MorphOS_beta_on_X5000.jpg

Is this proof enough?
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »11.10.16 - 06:27
    Profile Visit Website
    KennyR
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

Please note that MorphOS was publicly demonstrated running on an A-Eon X5000 at the Amiga 30 event in Neuss, Germany. Where do you think the developers got the required development hardware from more than a year before retail deliveries finally started?

Nobody is denying that MorphOS *runs* on the X5000. Whether or not it runs optimally or requires invalidation of warranty, is another matter. And if it does not, there will be no official release of MorphOS.

[ Edited by KennyR 11.10.2016 - 09:55 ]
  • »11.10.16 - 06:53
    KennyR
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Reason for editing: A 120+ word comment filled with personal insults towards another forum member is completely unacceptable. The F-word, which was later edited by the author himself, was nowhere near being as offending as any of the other content. (ASiegel)

http://www.jordanpfowler.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Prep-H.jpg
  • »11.10.16 - 06:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Say, you didn't have to make outside-warranty alterations to the board or anything did you?

The only thing I did to the motherboard was exchanging cpu fan as I have the oldest revision with quite crap and noisy fan, other than that - nothing. And please notice that this fan exchange wasn't required to get MorphOS running on my Cyrus+
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »11.10.16 - 07:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Whether or not it runs optimally or requires invalidation of warranty, is another matter.

As for running optimally, I trust the development and optimization abilities of the MorphOS team. Regarding "invalidation of warranty", what do you mean here?

> And if it does not, there will be no official release of MorphOS.

Yes, quality standards of the MorphOS team are high, so optimal running will be pretty much prerequisite for release. But I don't see how there won't be an official MorphOS release if it doesn't require "invalidation of warranty" (whatever that should mean).
  • »11.10.16 - 07:29
  • rob
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

Nobody is denying that MorphOS *runs* on the X5000. Whether or not it runs optimally or requires invalidation of warranty, is another matter. And if it does not, there will be no official release of MorphOS.

How could you possibly have to void the warranty by in order to run MorphOS on the X5000?
  • »11.10.16 - 07:29
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Do you think that's clever?

https://westofpersia.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/walnuts.jpg
  • »11.10.16 - 07:49
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

No good deed goes unpunished.
  • »11.10.16 - 08:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    It's easy: Probably MorphOS will get released for the X5000 as it is announced, tested and demoed. But MorpOS team _always_ said: Don't buy dedicated hardware before MorphOS got really released for it. It's just to be on the safe side. Or if you buy now and a release gets delayd, canceled or will not work as expected: Don't complain then, you've been warned.
    I personally expect a working release in the not too distant future though. But warnings should always be considered.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »11.10.16 - 08:48
    Profile Visit Website
    KennyR
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

How could you possibly have to void the warranty by in order to run MorphOS on the X5000?

Didn't you have a ppc accelerator? Reflashing its firmware with an unsupported one would have invalidated its warranty.

People keep accusing me of raking up the past but it's really the repeating cycles that rake up me.
  • »11.10.16 - 10:25
    Kronos
    Kenny is hard trying his own China-syndrom.....
  • »11.10.16 - 11:07
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

No good deed goes unpunished.

Hopefully I will get to meet you in person one day Andre.

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Kenny is hard trying his own China-syndrom.....

But Andre thinks I ought to remain civil about his bizarre behavior.

[ Edited by Jim 11.10.2016 - 10:25 ]
  • »11.10.16 - 12:21