MorphOS on AmigaOne X5000?
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    ...Edit: Hyperion Entertainment also does not have the funds or developers to complete AmigaOS4.2 at all (or at least it seems that way).

Speculative, but quite possibly true.
    And if they did, would anyone get it as a free upgrade (like Aeon customers)?

I do share your opinion on Trevor's financial gain (or lack thereof).
    He's paying Varisys well for their role, and the entire project has been totally professional.
    Quite a nice change for the AmigaOne market.

Also the third party additions he's sponsoring for OS4.1 are shaping up nicely.

The question I have been pondering is, does Hyperion deserve all the criticism it gets over its slow delivery and inability to finance the development of future versions of AmigaOS?

If you look at it from a strictly economic sense, they haven't made much money on this and they are still persistently pushing forward. If the aren't generating the funds they need to move faster, who is at fault?

Not everybody can afford Trevor Dickenson's level of commitment.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »21.09.16 - 09:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    ...Edit: Hyperion Entertainment also does not have the funds or developers to complete AmigaOS4.2 at all (or at least it seems that way).

Speculative, but quite possibly true.
    And if they did, would anyone get it as a free upgrade (like Aeon customers)?

I do share your opinion on Trevor's financial gain (or lack thereof).
    He's paying Varisys well for their role, and the entire project has been totally professional.
    Quite a nice change for the AmigaOne market.

Trevor didn't supply the X1000 project with his own altruism. There was a reason (beyond the CPU) that the X1000 was so expensive, and that's that Trevor took no risks on it at all. He didn't take the risk of underselling and so made no savings on economy of scale. They were made in the most expensive way possible, practically to order.

I don't get why Trevor's seen as the great philanthropist here. He started the project, managed the project, but didn't put anything else of himself into the project. He was careful to avoid all risks to himself and confine them to the purchaser alone, to-wit the purchasers ended up with nigh-on unsupported product for megabucks.

Quote:

Also the third party additions he's sponsoring for OS4.1 are shaping up nicely.

The question I have been pondering is, does Hyperion deserve all the criticism it gets over its slow delivery and inability to finance the development of future versions of AmigaOS?

Yep. Yup. YES.
    Absolutely.

Hyperion took advantage of contemporary looseness of labour laws regarding sub-contractors (a situation that no longer exists). They kept driving a product when its sales failed to meet a fraction of expectations. They allowed themselves to be conned by Amiga Inc and put themselves into deep debt hopelessly fighting a lawsuit they believed they could win. And most of all, they failed to keep the userbase aware of their problems, instead driving them on and on with MAPs and announcements of announcements.

Hyperion are absolutely totally to blame.

Quote:

If you look at it from a strictly economic sense, they haven't made much money on this and they are still persistently pushing forward. If the aren't generating the funds they need to move faster, who is at fault?

Not everybody can afford Trevor Dickenson's level of commitment.

And not everyone can be as much as a psychotically stubborn arse as Ben Hermans.
  • »21.09.16 - 21:47
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Trevor paid a lot of money up front to Varisys to design the X1000.
    So you know NOTHING about risk.
    Money that didn't even start to come back for a really long time.
    And late in that board's production, he ate the increase in cpu costs.

Hyperion's settlement with Amiga Inc, WAS a win.

And calling somebody psychotic in a public forum is slander.
    And btw, whether you like him or not, slandering a lawyer is pretty STUPID.

Don't reinforce the negative viewpoint OS4 users already have of our community.

Also, Hyperion's subcontractors, the Friedens, would now appear to own some parts of OS4.
    Not bad for a part time job.

And as to whether Hyperion has made enough money to continue on the course they've set, there is one thing I'd agree with Trevor about, Herman's is pretty persistent, because if it was a purely economic decision, any sensible businessman would have shucked you Amiga head cases long ago.
    You expect too much for too little.
  • »21.09.16 - 23:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

I don't know about the EU, but here in the US insulting someone is not illegal. I don't know if I'd call Hermans psychotic, but I would call him a crook IMO.

[ Edited by redrumloa 21.09.2016 - 21:24 ]
  • »21.09.16 - 23:24
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

I don't know about the EU, but here in the US insulting someone is not illegal. I don't know if I'd call Hermans psychotic, but I would call him a crook IMO.

You are misinformed, not only is it NOT legal, its actionable.
    An insult, is just that, its not an unqualified statement about another's mental state.
    That is slander.

Better yet, you use the term "crook", short for crooked if I'm not mistaken, or in other word someone who engages in illegal activities.
    So, exactly what do you think he did that violated the law?
    We aren't talking ethics here, we're talking actual wrong doing.

This kind of crap makes US look bad, its muckraking.

Stop letting your sentiments overwhelm your reasoning.
  • »22.09.16 - 00:41
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Just a thought...

There's a certain rumor about how Hyperion actually has 110% of itself split into shares... Even the fact that Alan Redhouse still unknowingly owns shares. ;)
  • »22.09.16 - 01:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    An insult, is just that, its not an unqualified statement about another's mental state.
    That is slander.

Better yet, you use the term "crook", short for crooked if I'm not mistaken, or in other word someone who engages in illegal activities.

Come on man, exercising your Second Amendment rights is not slander. If using the term "crook" is slander, why hasn't Hillary Clinton sued Donald Trump and about 50% of the country for calling her "crooked Hillary".

Quote:

False advertising? Being a willing participant in Amiga Inc's hide the assets shell game?

[ Edited by redrumloa 22.09.2016 - 01:10 ]
  • »22.09.16 - 03:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    That is slander.

Come on man, exercising your Second Amendment rights is not slander. If using the term "crook" is slander, why hasn't Hillary Clinton sued Donald Trump and about 50% of the country for calling her "crooked Hillary".

Quote:

False advertising? Being a willing participant in Amiga Inc's hide the assets shell game?

How is Hyperion responsible for Bill McEwen's corporate maneuvering?

And yes, the Second Amendment does not protect slander.
    Politicians don't sue, but try and pull that BS on someone wealthy that hasn't committed a documented crime and see what it gets you.
    Heck, you can't even mention Henry Ford's support for fascists before WWII without the Ford Corporation breathing down your neck, and he's DEAD.

And btw, Donald Trump is a self promoting windbag full of bad ideas, promoting racist concepts, with no idea how to run a country.
    After all, we CAN'T go bankrupt.
    Why would I want a man running our country that I wouldn't trust with my investments?
  • »22.09.16 - 03:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    That is slander.

Quote:

Politicians don't sue, but try and pull that BS on someone wealthy that hasn't committed a documented crime and see what it gets you.
    Heck, you can't even mention Henry Ford's support for fascists before WWII without the Ford Corporation breathing down your neck, and he's DEAD.

And btw, Donald Trump is a self promoting windbag full of bad ideas, promoting racist concepts, with no idea how to run a country.
    Why would I want a man running our country that I wouldn't trust with my investments?

Slander is spoken, libel is written. ;)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »22.09.16 - 10:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Frivolous lawsuits happen all the time, but such a lawsuit would be thrown out and the plaintiff should expect an Anti-SLAPP counter-suit they would promptly lose.

Quote:

So much wrong. Donald Trump is a windbag, at least you got that part right but nothing else. I don't want to go deep into politics on Morphzone, if you want to do that come to Whyzzat

So let me get this straight. Donald Trump is the racist, and Hillary Clinton is not?

Also, can't bankrupt a country? Really? Tell that to Greece, tell that to Zimbabwe.
  • »22.09.16 - 13:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Trevor took no risks on it at all. He didn't take the risk of underselling and so made
    > no savings on economy of scale. They were made in the most expensive way possible,
    > practically to order. [...] He [...] didn't put anything else of himself into the project.
    > He was careful to avoid all risks to himself and confine them to the purchaser alone

How does this fit Trevor's claim that he ate the NRE costs ("over US$400,000", see comment #404) for the X1000 himself without passing them on to the customer?
    And how does this fit Trevor's claim that he and AmigaKit jointly subsidised the CPU price increase of 475 USD per board and did not pass these on to the customer (see comment #54)?
  • »22.09.16 - 13:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Trevor paid a lot of money up front to Varisys to design the X1000.
    > Money that didn't even start to come back for a really long time.

It hasn't so far if we are to believe Trevor, and it's not even supposed to.

> he ate the increase in cpu costs.

...jointly with AmigaKit, according to him.

> Hyperion's subcontractors, the Friedens, would now appear to own some parts of OS4.

ExecSG has been the Frieden's property starting with the first line of code in 2001 as was tested in court in declaratory action.
  • »22.09.16 - 13:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There's a certain rumor about how Hyperion actually has 110% of itself split into shares...
    > Even the fact that Alan Redhouse still unknowingly owns shares. ;)

Do you have any more info on these rumours?
  • »22.09.16 - 13:55
    KennyR
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

That is slander.

This is the internet. You must be new here. Have a seat.

Quote:

This kind of crap makes US look bad, its muckraking.

Stop letting your sentiments overwhelm your reasoning.

For what I said: being incompetent, arrogant, abusive, or an arse - none of these are crimes, therefore it is not slanderous or libelous in any way that could be legally actionable. Could be defamatory, but if you're going to accuse me of being defamatory to BEN HERMANS I'm going to laugh you all the way off the planet and into a galaxy with no other name but Irony. Just with the power of laughter. Besides, Ben really doesn't want to open up another legal suit - he hasn't had a good history in that regard so far...

For what Redrumloa said: crookedness or criminality has, at least, never been one of Herman's issues. Just everything else.

Why are you so butthurt about this anyway? None of this is disputed - Hyperion's OS4 product was not successful, Hyperion went into debt after a settlement that appeared to favour them but actually cost them more than they could afford, OS4 isn't developed any more, nobody can afford the AmigaOS rights. You wanted to know why OS4 development was so, uhm, slow. We all know why.
  • »22.09.16 - 16:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    For what Redrumloa said: crookedness or criminality has, at least, never been one of Herman's issues. Just everything else.

I don't think I said 'criminal'. As for "crookedness", I guess that depends on your definition of crook. At the very least false advertising is illegal here in the US. I really doubt anyone knowing the history would debate that HYPErion routinely engaged in false advertising.

[ Edited by redrumloa 22.09.2016 - 15:36 ]
  • »22.09.16 - 17:35
    KennyR
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

I don't think I said 'criminal'. As for "crookedness", I guess that depends on your definition of crook. At the very least false advertising is illegal here in the US. I really doubt anyone knowing the history would debate that HYPErion routinely engaged in false advertising.

In Ben's case however, sheer stupidity is difficult to dismiss before we can consider fraudulence. Remember, this is the guy who said OS4 would be ported in six months, that WarpOS and AmigaOS would be integrated, and switching CPUs was a case of changing flags and recompiling. He said a lot more stupid crap too, which I won't weary you with.

Hence incompetence. Bad enough on its own but when combined with extreme arrogance...and you have Ben.
  • »22.09.16 - 18:42
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Nick, you are splitting hairs, but you are correct.

Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    That is slander.

Quote:

Slander is spoken, libel is written. ;)

At KennyR, incompetence I would definitely agree with.
    But then read my signature.

[ Edited by Jim 22.09.2016 - 17:00 ]
  • »22.09.16 - 18:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    An Amiga.org user is claiming the X5000 starts shipping in the coming weeks. Price is €2500, or 2783.75 US Dollar.
  • »07.10.16 - 01:03
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Yep, some of the users which registered their interest via email on the A-EON homepage now got emails from distributors to state which model they are interested in.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »07.10.16 - 01:24
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > An Amiga.org user is claiming [...]

To be precise, he is claiming that amiga-news.de is claiming this, who in turn are claiming that an a1k.org user is claiming this, who in turn is claiming that German AmigaOne X5000 distributor Alinea is claiming this ;-)

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2016-10-00008-EN.html (English without links)
    [url=http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2016-10-00008-DE.html]http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2016-10-00008-DE.html[/url] (German with links)

> Price is €2500

As per your link, system price is between 2300 and 2500 EUR (depending on components) and board price is 1700 EUR.

That is quite a bit more then I anticipated.
    Luckily the exchange rate has been fairly good.
  • »07.10.16 - 13:14
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    @Jim

i wouldn't take those prices as posted as being official. ;-)

-- eliyahu
  • »07.10.16 - 18:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    With all the needless fighting and rude remarks toward both fellow members here, and outside persons, this place is getting more and more like Amiga.org and/or AmigaWorld.net every day.

Very sad to see a site that was so above all that crap for so many years, being dragged down by a few people.

Can the moderators here (do we have any?), please issue some warnings to members who are increasing their participation in such actions?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »07.10.16 - 19:32
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    With all the needless fighting and rude remarks toward both fellow members here, and outside persons, this place is getting more and more like Amiga.org and/or AmigaWorld.net every day.

Very sad to see a site that was so above all that crap for so many years, being dragged down by a few people.

Can the moderators here (do we have any?), please issue some warnings to members who are increasing their participation in such actions?

It takes something fairly big to get the mods here to do that David (I know, sometimes you really have to push).
    I'm not sure that this stuff is all that bad. The negative crap about A-eon and T. Dickenson is annoying, but its just misinformation.
    And its hard to defend Ben Hermans.

Lately I've found myself defending the general OS4 development community, which even I myself find a little strange.
  • »07.10.16 - 19:58