DDR3 and PCIe v2 are from 2007 :-)
  • »09.03.16 - 20:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > we don't know what the private share structure

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=932

Ahh, what do you know. 100% of the shares are distributed, none left in the treasury. Matt Leaman is half owner too. It is even less likely that A-Eon's cash balance is fungible with Trevor's wallet.
  • »10.03.16 - 00:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @redrumla

I don't think there is a law against being not profitable. If it is a share holding company all the company need to do when it's out of cash is to ask it's share holders for more. Because then the company is only accountable to it's shareholders and if they think it's a good idea to invest more money it's perfectly legal. Which is what I think the presumably main shareholder Trevor does.

Remember the IT bubble? The share holders kept pouring in money into hugely unprofitable companies because they thought one day in the not too far future it would pay off. And most of the companies went belly up once the share holders realised that their "multi billion dollar companies" was worth about as much as a hot dog stand. The share holders had to take the knock-back because it was up to them to decide whether to invest more and more money into it or not. The only thing the companies had to do was not to lie about its revenue.

Perfectly legal.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »10.03.16 - 10:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the presumably main shareholder Trevor

As indirectly linked to above, main shareholder of A-Eon Technology Ltd. is Matthew Leaman (50%). Trevor and his wife each hold 25% of shares.
  • »10.03.16 - 12:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

>> Seems low-level coders disappeared years ago.

> The Frieden brothers were present at the Amiga 30 years celebrations in Neuss 5 months
    > ago where they told they were currently working on OS4 a couple of hours per week.

"I received a pleasant surprise in my email inbox this morning from AmigaOS Kernel developer Thomas Frieden. [...] Attached to the email was a photo of a vaguely familiar image of a Boing Ball, Hyperion copyright notice and an "insert floppy disk" graphic. [...] I think it means my Tabor board will be mighty pleased"
    http://blog.a-eon.biz/blog/?p=8740
  • »10.03.16 - 12:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Andreas_Wolf

OK, but I doubt it's not Trevor keeping the business floating anyway.

My MorphOS blog
  • »10.03.16 - 12:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @redrumla

I don't think there is a law against being not profitable. If it is a share holding company all the company need to do when it's out of cash is to ask it's share holders for more. Because then the company is only accountable to it's shareholders and if they think it's a good idea to invest more money it's perfectly legal. Which is what I think the presumably main shareholder Trevor does.

Remember the IT bubble? The share holders kept pouring in money into hugely unprofitable companies because they thought one day in the not too far future it would pay off. And most of the companies went belly up once the share holders realised that their "multi billion dollar companies" was worth about as much as a hot dog stand. The share holders had to take the knock-back because it was up to them to decide whether to invest more and more money into it or not. The only thing the companies had to do was not to lie about its revenue.

Perfectly legal.

That's not how it works, you are confusing privately owned companies with publicly trading company. A-Eon shares are 100% distributed between 3 officers, there are none left in the treasury to sell. A publicly traded company such as those during the Dot-com bubble sold shares during an IPO, and held a majority of shares in the treasury. When these dot-com companies needed more funds they would issue "secondaries" by taking shares from the treasury and selling either directly into the market or 2 a 3rd party at a discount. There is a world of difference between a public and a private company.

Trevor can "loan" A-Eon cash, but that loan is supposed to be repaid at some point. This is not something that can happen forever, at some point A-Eon will have to be profitable.
  • »10.03.16 - 12:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    They don't have to sell shares. They can ask the share holders for an influx of cash too.

As long as creditors get paid he can loan A-Eon as much as he want.

My MorphOS blog
  • »10.03.16 - 14:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    A question, a little off the current direction of the thread...
    If the bios of the X5000 is on micro SD, could we upgrade the size of the card and put the boot partition for MorphOS on this as well?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »10.03.16 - 23:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    If the bios of the X5000 is on micro SD, could we upgrade the size of the card and put the boot partition for MorphOS on this as well?

I think not, it's just another way to store and load the firmware. And why would you *not* want to use a proper, fast SSD for the OS, with real file systems (of your choice), etc?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »11.03.16 - 05:49
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

I think not, it's just another way to store and load the firmware. And why would you *not* want to use a proper, fast SSD for the OS, with real file systems (of your choice), etc?

Well, one thing has made me shy away from SSDs, they die without warning and are completely unrecoverable.

Then again, that is true of SD cards as well.

More to the point, the boot partition of MorphOS is small, so why not have the bios load it from SD after bootstrapping then switch to a medium like you suggested?
  • »12.03.16 - 01:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb9By-lODgk
  • »28.04.16 - 13:54
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Well, one thing has made me shy away from SSDs, they die without warning and are completely unrecoverable.

Then again, that is true of SD cards as well.

More to the point, the boot partition of MorphOS is small, so why not have the bios load it from SD after bootstrapping then switch to a medium like you suggested?

SSDs behave like any HDD. If its bad sectors etc. everything be recovered.

If you speak of electric shock, I have a PSU and again surge protection before that.
    A high electric shock would any way kill everything, but your SSD paranoia is too much.

Its fast, usable, bit pricey but heey lightspeed to HDD, USB, DVD, BlueRay, SD card ...

It would be great to have MorphOS, AROS or OS4 on flash EEPROM but they have put
    different junk on boards instead of that :-) Like I would trade my XENA and Xorro extended PCI-E slot for
    such thing and some big FPGA that could load Minimig core
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »03.05.16 - 23:55
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:

I've mentioned it before, but I'll happily mention it again: When MorphOS gets ported to AMD64, we will not be supporting Macs. AMD64 Macs have all the wrong hardware for that to make any sense. When such a time does come, expect us to support one desktop motherboard (with one family of CPUs and GPUs) and one laptop. We'll of course make sure it's hardware that's actually available one way or another.

One board...
    This doesn't worry anyone else?
  • »05.05.16 - 12:07
    Kronos
    @Jim

What else did you expect ?

As long it is something easy to find and supporting a wide range of CPUs I don't see much of an issue.

More reason of concern would be how long it takes from starting on lets say this to release as that might put serious hurdles into sourcing such mobo (which will most likely be discontiued by that time).

On the laptop front things might get even harder, but besides from basing MorphOS_64 on a linux kernel (like AROS-hosted) I see really no alternativ with the limited resources.

But don't forget that is really just for the initial release (just like MorphOS at some time only supported one type of PPC Mac), and if one of the key developers decide that he really needs MorphOS4.2 running on his new 2025 MacbookPro I doubt the other would get their pitchforks to stop him.
  • »05.05.16 - 13:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:

I've mentioned it before, but I'll happily mention it again: When MorphOS gets ported to AMD64, we will not be supporting Macs. AMD64 Macs have all the wrong hardware for that to make any sense. When such a time does come, expect us to support one desktop motherboard (with one family of CPUs and GPUs) and one laptop. We'll of course make sure it's hardware that's actually available one way or another.

One board...

This is a rather old quote, and I think you're maybe misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that we'll only support one motherboard forever. I'm saying that we'll port MorphOS to and support running MorphOS on one specific motherboard (and one laptop) at a time. When that particular set of hardware becomes obsolete, or whenever we feel like it, we'll then pick a new set of hardware to support. Basically we want to avoid the current situation where we support such a large amount of different hardware that it becomes difficult to make sure everything is well supported.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »05.05.16 - 14:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    One board...

I'm surprised to read this kind of comment from you Jim. You have stated on many other occasions how much you trust the decisions of the MorphOS Dev. Team members, so what has changed in your point of view?

As you and I, and most other MorphOS users have stated in the past, the choices of which hardware to support by the Dev. Team members have so far seemed the best and most logical choices. I expect them to continue making wise choices for x64 hardware, just as they have always done with PPC hardware (with perhaps the only exceptions being support for the SAM460 and X5000, IMO ...).
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.05.16 - 21:53
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Sorry guys, I tend to be somewhat neurotic about things that are important to me.

And I DO trust our developers to make the right decisions (they have aced it so far).

Although...if I had the cash I would buy at least a couple of Power8 boards for these guys.
  • »06.05.16 - 01:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> the current situation where we support such a large amount of different hardware
    >> that it becomes difficult to make sure everything is well supported

> the choices of which hardware to support by the Dev. Team members have so far
    > seemed the best and most logical choices.

Seems at least some MorphOS team members are less confident about the team's past choices ;-)
  • »06.05.16 - 04:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Morphos on x86 will be not binary compatible like on powerpc because x86 cannot work in big endian mode.
    It is stupid to repeat old mistakes.
    Morphos on x86 should have not problems with memory protection, drivers, use of many core, porting.
    It is time to cut off 90% of old API, leave only amiga graphics and gui and use unix as base.
  • »06.05.16 - 14:27
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Seems at least some MorphOS team members are less confident about the team's past choices ;-)

Yeah, like anything involving a group, there will always be some dissent.
    And I myself still like the idea of sticking with Power.
    But that might just be the "sore loser" in me.
    I didn't really dig having to move from 68K to X86 years ago and still think PPCs are adequate for our uses.
  • »06.05.16 - 19:18
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    It is time to cut off 90% of old API, leave only amiga graphics and gui and use unix as base.

Are you out of your mind?
    UNIX?
    Never.
    Should we ever go there (or Linux) I am out of here.
    And we don't support native Amiga graphics right now.

We already have a good kernel.
    And Ambient can be retained (and improved), along with some other elements.
    Outside of that, we might as well let our gurus decide.
  • »06.05.16 - 19:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> the current situation where we support such a large amount of different hardware
    >> that it becomes difficult to make sure everything is well supported

> the choices of which hardware to support by the Dev. Team members have so far
    > seemed the best and most logical choices.

I meant from the users point of view, not for the ease of supporting the OS by the Dev. Team. I am sure that many of the team members have mixed feelings, and regret supporting so many PPC models, as it makes more work for all of them. Their choices have made it easy for any MorphOS user to find affordable, (and in terms of NG Amiga choices, powerful) hardware all around them.

[ Edited by amigadave 06.05.2016 - 14:36 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.05.16 - 19:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I guess they figured that since most hardware are more or less the same supporting them would be pretty straight forward. But every hardware has it's own little quirks regardless. It's easy to look back in hindsight now when we know this.

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.05.16 - 22:32
    Profile Visit Website