MorphOS on AmigaOne X5000?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Already often said by me, but I repeat it happily again: I am all for putting all the energy into the ISA switch of which I prefer x64 over ARM.

For the X5000. I consider it not too interesting, but if teh porting is really not taking too much development time why not. And while I guess the price/performance ratio will be far off good or bad I would happly have something more powerful than the G4s which doesn't require a personal nuclear power plant (note to A Wolf: this is an exaggeration) to actually run it and fight with leaky cooling systems (I know there are also air cooled G5s).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »12.04.15 - 21:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    I request MorphOS support the VIA Nano Processors.

Quote:

zukow wrote:
    I have two Amstrads and C=128DCR, morphos should support them too !!!11!111111

AROS should be better suited for these computers.
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »12.04.15 - 22:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I thank the team for its support of the X5000.
    We will soon be able to run MorphOS on an AmigaOne platform.
    It will be good to have our OS associated with the Amiga name again.

AND, I'd liked to state right here, as I promised that I would buy an X5000 if this development came to pass, I WILL purchase an X5000 as soon as they are made available.

James Igou
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »13.04.15 - 00:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I thank the team for its support of the X5000.
    We will soon be able to run MorphOS on an AmigaOne platform.
    It will be good to have our OS associated with the Amiga name again.

AND, I'd liked to state right here, as I promised that I would buy an X5000 if this development came to pass, I WILL purchase an X5000 as soon as they are made available.

James Igou

I welcome the support of the AmigaOne.
    However, I also believe MorphOS is capable of being its own independent OS associating itself with primarily everything MorphOS has to offer.
  • »13.04.15 - 02:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Supporting just one motherboard and just one laptop for amd64... yeah hahahah, good luck with that. All motherboards have short lifespans and go through umpteen revisions, sometimes with drastic hardware changes, rapidly, within the lifespan - it will be the "supported motherboard of the month" game. Over time there just has to be support for more and more hardware.

One cool thing would be to offer MorphOS at a VDP, virtual desktop provider.
    -- kolla
  • »13.04.15 - 07:03
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Oh, and how will the licensing scheme work on amd64?
    -- kolla
  • »13.04.15 - 07:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

kolla wrote:
    Supporting just one motherboard and just one laptop for amd64... yeah hahahah, good luck with that. All motherboards have short lifespans and go through umpteen revisions, sometimes with drastic hardware changes, rapidly, within the lifespan - it will be the "supported motherboard of the month" game. Over time there just has to be support for more and more hardware.

One cool thing would be to offer MorphOS at a VDP, virtual desktop provider.

This is a serious issue. It would not be an issue if MorphOS ever ports to MIPS, especially a MIPS laptop with the full sized internal keyboard containing the numeric keypad.

[ Edited by In_Correct 13.04.2015 - 00:49 ]
  • »13.04.15 - 07:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I thank the team for its support of the X5000. We will soon be able to
    > run MorphOS on an AmigaOne platform.

Yes, even before the release of the X5000 version :-)

https://acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/14-case-systems (currently out of stock)
  • »13.04.15 - 08:00
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    MIPS, with added benefit of being bigendian, and available on old SGI and DEC hardware, hehe.
    -- kolla
  • »13.04.15 - 08:04
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    >In_Correct wrote:
    >Right now available options for AEON aCube are only the silly operating systems.

;-)

>I am not against a X86 64 computer port, (while still prefer ARM MIPS AMD) but please enable full support for the PowerPC computers and retain support for PowerPC computers

+1

Also I hope we see PPC supported at least as long as they are available in any half sensible form.

(Ideally all our community OS&HAL&driver wizards should be considering on one SoC at a time, to master them fast and fully, then on the next one. That's the key to deliver better Amiga experience. One feature/characteristic of "Amiga" has been the capability to make the HW perform optimally with the OS.)
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »13.04.15 - 08:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MIPS, with added benefit of being bigendian

This depends on the specific implementation. There are pure little endian MIPS chips, especially the Chinese ones.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7675&start=583
  • »13.04.15 - 08:13
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I thank the team for its support of the X5000. We will soon be able to
    > run MorphOS on an AmigaOne platform.

Yes, even before the release of the X5000 version :-)

https://acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/14-case-systems (currently out of stock)

Actually, there has been no promise or statement that support will occur.
    Then again, they DID receive an X5000 for the demo before the machine has even been released.

And as to other machines, well I do have a few G4 and G5 systems (including a laptop).

AND...good things ARE coming.

We all know that.

After all, we've got the best developers left in the Amiga community on our side.
  • »13.04.15 - 11:39
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fransexy
    Quote:

Well, another good OS for this machine

I fix it for you ;-)
  • »13.04.15 - 12:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Yes, even before the release of the X5000 version :-)
    >> https://acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/14-case-systems (currently out of stock)

> Actually, there has been no promise or statement that support will occur.

Actually, there has:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11130&forum=3&start=11

> Then again, they DID receive an X5000 for the demo before the machine has
    > even been released.

Of course, he (pega-1) received it as development machine way before this demo.
  • »13.04.15 - 12:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    After all, we've got the best developers left in the Amiga community on our side.

It's not even close.
  • »13.04.15 - 13:50
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

It's not even close.

Interesting comment, but I'm not sure of your intent.
    Do you know any better?

And yes Andreas, I knew that, but choose not to post it.
    Frank deserved his confidentiality, until he chose to discuss the matter.
  • »13.04.15 - 17:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

It's not even close.

Interesting comment, but I'm not sure of your intent.
    Do you know any better?

I guess my comment wasn't clear. I agree we have the best developers in NG Amiga-like land and think they are far superior to any other group out there.

Also not meant as a dig at the various AROS guys, who are doing their own thing in a respectable manner. I just think on whole the MorphOS team are firing on all cylinders.

[ Edited by redrumloa 13.04.2015 - 11:56 ]
  • »13.04.15 - 17:53
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I kind of thought that was your intent.
    Yeah, these guys are pretty talented.
    AROS is interesting, but MorphOS is more stable and I just find it an overall better environment.

It will be interesting seeing the direct comparisons with OS4 as both OS' mature.
    So far, the only system we have in common is the Pegasos and that is getting dated.
  • »13.04.15 - 18:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    It will be interesting seeing the direct comparisons with OS4 as both OS' mature.
    So far, the only system we have in common is the Pegasos and that is getting dated.

I'm always interested in the comparisons, but OS4 users generally consider comparisons to be FUD only done by trolls.
  • »13.04.15 - 19:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > yes Andreas, I knew that, but choose not to post it. Frank deserved his
    > confidentiality, until he chose to discuss the matter.

He gave up confidentiality when he brought his development machine to the show for everybody to see. And that he must have got it way before is pure common sense.
  • »13.04.15 - 20:34
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > yes Andreas, I knew that, but choose not to post it. Frank deserved his
    > confidentiality, until he chose to discuss the matter.

He gave up confidentiality when he brough his development machine to the show for everybody to see. And that he must have got it way before is pure common sense.

Oh, absolutely. Trevor mentioned the idea of offering at least one to the developers a long time ago.
    I'm just amazed that Frank (AND all the other developers) have the time and energy to pursue so many different projects.
    While others may find the SAM460 more interesting (because of the much lwer price), I just don't see the point of buying a system with less power than a G4 Mac (except that they are available new and have a PCI-e expansion slot).
    And it would not surprise me if the difficulties with the SAM port stem from issues with its processor.

In any case, I am thrilled with this development.
    Its something many of us have been hoping for a few years.
  • »13.04.15 - 22:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    This X5000 support is even more strange than the support for Sam 460. At least the Sam is "cheap" (but not really) and thus probably has 2-3x the userbase as the X1000 and X5000 can hope to accumulate *together* in their life spans. And still that won't be that many. IMHO it doesn't make sense.

But I see in bigfoot's post above that at least the Sam 460 resulted in "ironing out" some issues in Quark, which obviosly made it easier to port (given that it only took 2 days to get MorphOS booting on the X5000 thanks to this). And it possibly helps developing native drivers for new GFX cards. Both these things perhaps makes the X86 transition easier. Which IMHO would be the main benefit of this.

Because the X5000 is just as insane as the X1000, and just as with the X1000 it won't help OS4 in any way, and it will do even less for MorphOS. It takes a certain mind-set to buy €3,000+ EUR systems that is neither a chineese Power8 motherboard or at least a Mac Pro, and those who does it, does it only for OS4. For MorphOS there are far more suitable machines, and the X5000 will upon its launch come in second place compared to the fastest PPC Macs that MorphOS already supports, that's still available at a fraction of the cost.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »15.04.15 - 02:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    @takemehomegrandma

P5020@2Ghz prices range from US$240 to US$320 for 1K pieces depending on the selected model.

Afair, it is way cheaper than the PA6T used in the X1000.

I hope the price tag for the X5000 will be saner than the X1000 one. If the X1000 board design is reused, it might also save a lot of buck from the R&D pov.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »15.04.15 - 07:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Quote:

Tcheko wrote:
    @takemehomegrandma

P5020@2Ghz prices range from US$240 to US$320 for 1K pieces depending on the selected model.

Afair, it is way cheaper than the PA6T used in the X1000.

I hope the price tag for the X5000 will be saner than the X1000 one. If the X1000 board design is reused, it might also save a lot of buck from the R&D pov.

As has already been stated elsewhere on these forums, the X5000 is very different than the X1000 is/was, so there was extremely little, if any, cost savings when developing the X5000 motherboard from what was learned on the X1000 design.

I can't remember the exact costs of the PA6T CPU's, but I think it was between $500 and $800 US dollars each, so if the CPU in the X5000 is only 50% to 70% less, it is not going to make the cost of the X5000 much cheaper than the X1000. Remember, Trevor already stated that he was not making any profit on the X1000, but expected to make a profit on each X5000 sold, to support continuing as a business.

I expect these facts to cause the cost of the X5000 to be nearly the same as the X1000, if not slightly higher.
    WB_Coder = Wanna Be Coder
  • »15.04.15 - 07:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    @takemehomegrandma

I'm not sure if I can tell how much did I pay for X5000 mobo (so I won't) but it wasn't the price of X1000 so please don't spread fud in here.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »15.04.15 - 07:27
    Profile Visit Website