MorphOS on AmigaOne X5000?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

In fact we (the MorphOS Team) have only recently been able to offer A-EON a beta version of MorphOS to run on the X5000 very recently, so obviously A-EON haven't been able to publish their own screenshots of MorphOS running on the X5000, nor have they been able to write first hand about it.

if you're looking for a third-party tester, let me know. :-)

-- eliyahu
  • »08.10.15 - 15:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> A new lower-end board from A-Eon would most likely be e5500-based (QorIQ T1) I guess.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11382&forum=3&start=13
  • »10.10.15 - 23:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    Update:

> A new lower-end board from A-Eon would most likely be e5500-based (QorIQ T1) I guess.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11382&forum=3&start=13

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=40603&forum=16&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0
    From what Chain-Q and Pavlor wrote in that thread I guess it's P102x based. e500v2 - pity!

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 11.10.2015 - 00:27 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.10.15 - 23:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > From what Chain-Q and Pavlor wrote in that thread I guess it's P102x based. e500v2 - pity!

Pity indeed. According to this, A1222 "Tabor" would be Zigotzky's "P1022 Custom board" he said he bought in 2014. I'm surprised this is actually an A-Eon/ACube board.
  • »10.10.15 - 23:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Why is everyone taking this so hard ?
    I have one too and it is a very nice board.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > From what Chain-Q and Pavlor wrote in that thread I guess it's P102x based. e500v2 - pity!

Pity indeed. According to this, A1222 "Tabor" would be Zigotzky's "P1022 Custom board" he said he bought in 2014. I'm surprised this is actually an A-Eon/ACube board.

[ Edited by Spectre660 10.10.2015 - 20:38 ]
  • »11.10.15 - 00:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I'm not 100% sure I am following this. If this Acube rebranding someone else's hardware and marking it up for the OS4 market? Is this a rpi level board for 1,000 Euro as someone mentioned? Who is the original manufacturer? Wiki?
  • »11.10.15 - 03:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    We wait for the official announcement.
    But I link back to my post a few days ago with a quote from Trevor's Amiga Blog
    were he introduced me as a member of the A-Eon core Linux Support Team.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&post_id=121579&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1

Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I'm not 100% sure I am following this. If this Acube rebranding someone else's hardware and marking it up for the OS4 market? Is this a rpi level board for 1,000 Euro as someone mentioned? Who is the original manufacturer? Wiki?
  • »11.10.15 - 03:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    @Spectre666 you have a Tabor board?

Why is Tabor being compared to a Raspberry Pi? Pricewise it surely isn't one!
  • »11.10.15 - 07:52
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    the new sam followup Board will have a dual core processor and 1,2GHz Speed. the price will be the same as the current sam.

[ Edited by Cego 11.10.2015 - 09:36 ]
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »11.10.15 - 09:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    That's good - hopefully "soon" considering that Acube have been out of Sam460 boards for a while now.
  • »11.10.15 - 10:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Why is everyone taking this so hard ?

Have you clicked the 2nd link in comment #138?

> I have one too and it is a very nice board.

...but not for OS4 nor MorphOS.
  • »11.10.15 - 11:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Time will tell.
    WIth the joint resources of A-Eon,Ultra Varisys,Acube and Hyperion and others I would bet that it will be a nice board for OS4 .

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Why is everyone taking this so hard ?

Have you clicked the 2nd link in comment #138?

> I have one too and it is a very nice board.

...but not for OS4 nor MorphOS.
  • »11.10.15 - 11:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > WIth the joint resources of A-Eon,Ultra Varisys,Acube and Hyperion and others

So has this board been developed by Varisys?

> I would bet that it will be a nice board for OS4 .

I have severe doubts about that. After all, the incompatibility of the e500v2 core is the reason the UltimatePPC has been put on hold (or cancelled?). And it was also discussed years before in feanor's market research for new PowerPC system.
  • »11.10.15 - 13:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    I can't preempt the official announcement.
    But the Hardware is what drives changes in software.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I have severe doubts about that. After all, the incompatibility of the e500v2 core is the reason the UltimatePPC has been put on hold (or cancelled?).
  • »11.10.15 - 14:15
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    If this is based an e500v2 cored cpu, you can bet one thing, it will "drive" away support from MorphOS.

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I have severe doubts about that. After all, the incompatibility of the e500v2 core is the reason the UltimatePPC has been put on hold (or cancelled?).

"Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.10.15 - 14:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    the new sam followup Board will have a dual core processor and 1,2GHz Speed. the price will be the same as the current sam.

That sounds perhaps more interesting than the "Tabor", do you have any more info about that one? Like what is its CPU for example and planned availability etc?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »11.10.15 - 16:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

ONLY hardware that is an IMPROVEMENT.
  • »11.10.15 - 17:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma schrieb:
    Quote:

Cego wrote:

That sounds perhaps more interesting than the "Tabor", do you have any more info about that one? Like what is its CPU for example and planned availability etc?

Tha Sam follow up _is_ the Tabor: Dual core 1.2 GHz priced between 700 EUR and 1000 EUR - unfortunately with an incompatible and slow fpu. Rumours have it a compatible FPU can be emulated though. We'll see. luckily this board is not too important fom a MorphOS centric POV since we have plenty hardware already.
    If support is a cheap shot, then welcome. If support will be hard, don't waste development time on it and put the effort better into MorphOS NG.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »11.10.15 - 19:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    I quote, especially the last sentence.
  • »11.10.15 - 20:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> WIth the joint resources of A-Eon,Ultra Varisys,Acube and Hyperion and others

>> So has this board been developed by Varisys?

> I can't preempt the official announcement.

Well, you mentioned Varisys in the context of Tabor, so this limits the possibilities :-)

>>> I would bet that it will be a nice board for OS4 .

>> I have severe doubts about that. After all, the incompatibility of the e500v2 core
    >> is the reason the UltimatePPC has been put on hold (or cancelled?).

> But the Hardware is what drives changes in software.

Changes can be for the better or for the worse ;-) Except for automotive chips (e200 core), GPR-based FPU and SPE SIMD have been deprecated by Freescale with the advent of the e500mc core.
  • »11.10.15 - 22:19
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >don't waste development time on it and put the effort better into MorphOS NG.

Yes, as much as I am loath to admit it, I can't see supporting a board that requires different floating point routines.

And, I would have qualified this with a statement about the continued potential introduction of further e5500 or e6500 core based systems, but I'm not sure that the topic carries as much interest with me as it once did.

NG NG, might as well continue to lead, instead of following.
  • »11.10.15 - 22:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    A-Eon's e500mc core option, the P3041 Cyrus +, was cancelled .

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >>> WIth the joint resources of A-Eon,Ultra Varisys,Acube and Hyperion and others

>> So has this board been developed by Varisys?

> I can't preempt the official announcement.

Well, you mentioned Varisys in the context of Tabor, so this limits the possibilities :-)

>>> I would bet that it will be a nice board for OS4 .

>> I have severe doubts about that. After all, the incompatibility of the e500v2 core
    >> is the reason the UltimatePPC has been put on hold (or cancelled?).

> But the Hardware is what drives changes in software.

Changes can be for the better or for the worse ;-) Except for automotive chips (e200 core), GPR-based FPU and SPE SIMD have been deprecated by Freescale with the advent of the e500mc core.

[ Edited by Spectre660 11.10.2015 - 19:11 ]
  • »11.10.15 - 23:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

Tha Sam follow up _is_ the Tabor:

Ah, for some reason I got the impression that the follow-up to the Sam would be a second piece of HW. ;-)

Quote:

priced between 700 EUR and 1000 EUR

The Sam460cr is €539 (was it ever really available BTW?). So it's not at all "at the same price", far from it.

Quote:

unfortunately with an incompatible and slow fpu.

Yes, the e500v2 has been confirmed by Christian. He say the FPU is fast, at least on a Linux where the OS and applications has been specially compiled for it. This is of course completely impossible in the case of OS4. And he say that regular PPC Linux works but that the OS must emulate a normal FPU then. Then it won't be fast at all. This is how it must be done by OS4 as well. Anything he say in that post about performance in DebianPPCSPE is irrelevant for OS4.

He say he is surprised by the performance. Probably his specially compiled Linux setup also makes extensive use of the RadeonHD GPU for offloading things like video and whatnot. But isn't the "e500" kind of a slightly evolved/souped-up "G3" and running at higher clock? No Altivec, and in this case no usable HW FPU as well (for OS4). Nothing you do heavy rendering on, in other words?

Speaking of GFX cards, what about the PCIe slot? Pavlor say it's v1.0 (250MB/s per lane). I get as much as the x16 slot only has a few lanes connected, but how many? Pavlor claims 4 lanes. But the data sheet (linked to by Pavlor ;-)) speaks about many controllers but *not available simultaneously* (depends on HW configuration perhaps?), so with the known other features of the Tabor, does x4 lanes for graphics sound reasonable? If so, it should offer about the same GFX bandwidth as the AGP 4x available in most of the decade old Mac HW that most of us use with MorphOS, right?

Well, all in all I think this could have been a nice machine. Had it had a proper FPU. At half its price. And had it been 10 years ago. As it stands, "our" Macs still seem like a far better option in all aspects; power, price, bang/buck, the versatility of models, etc. And MorphOS of course! ;-)

"We" have made the most and the best out of what the PPC platform has to offer and are enjoying it fully, "they" are still "chasing the dragon". ;-)

Ah, well...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »11.10.15 - 23:14
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

And, I would have qualified this with a statement about the continued potential introduction of further e5500 or e6500 core based systems, but I'm not sure that the topic carries as much interest with me as it once did.

NG NG, might as well continue to lead, instead of following.

gotta agree with you there. personally i want a machine that can dual-boot AOS4 and MOS, but i'd rather MOS NG come out sooner if i had to give up one or the other. i really think MOS NG is the future and am terribly excited about it. so, from my point of view, anything that takes development time away from it -- especially for custom boards given their costs -- is something i'd hope the dev team would punt on.

-- eliyahu
  • »11.10.15 - 23:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Except for automotive chips (e200 core), GPR-based FPU and SPE SIMD have
    >> been deprecated by Freescale with the advent of the e500mc core.

> A-Eon's e500mc core option, the P3041 Cyrus +, was cancelled .

I know that A-Eon cancelled it, but what has this got to do with the price of fish? It was their own decision to cancel it. And even if cancellation was justified, why should that imply they had to go backwards to the e500v2?
  • »11.10.15 - 23:39