Quote:

but it doesn't mention MorphOS at all

I'm not surprised somehow.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.10.15 - 11:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Even if the press release does not mention MorphOS at all, A-Eon promised (back in June already I think) to put back a limited number of final Cyrus+ production boards for potential MorphOS developers and users.
    Pricing and availability is none of our business, though.
    You just might need to ask A-Eon for this..... :)
  • »03.10.15 - 11:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:
    Even if the press release does not mention MorphOS at all, A-Eon promised (back in June already I think) to put back a limited number of final Cyrus+ production boards for potential MorphOS developers and users.
    Pricing and availability is none of our business, though.
    You just might need to ask A-Eon for this..... :)

I wonder if we get a discount for not needing OS4.1?

BTW - Frank, any idea what MorphOS license keys will cost for this yet?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »03.10.15 - 15:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    That doesn't sound like now.

But the pricing is better than I expected.
    And these are the dual core models.

Wonder when we will see the quad core and at what premium?

Are you still thinking of buying the X5000 to run both MorphOS and AmigaOS4.x? Or would you buy the X5000 without AmigaOS4.1FE, if A-Eon/AmigaKit offers it that way to MorphOS users?

It is disturbing that A-Eon has not released any info regarding MorphOS running on the X5000, or even mentioned MorphOS in any of it's press releases.

I thought that Trevor would embrace the MorphOS developers and users, once the MorphOS Dev. Team decided to port MorphOS to the X5000 and support A-Eon, which they did not need to do.

We all know that MorphOS is going to run better and be a more complete system on the X5000 than AmigaOS4.1FE. In fact, I'll be surprised if MorphOS3.10 that supports the X5000 is not finished and ready before Hyperion has completed the port of AmigaOS4.1FE to the X5000. A-Eon might hold back the release and sale of the X5000 until the port of AmigaOS4.1FE is finished, just so they don't make Hyperion look bad when MorphOS3.10 for the X5000 is completed first. I would hope that Trevor and Matthew would not hold it back for that reason, but they do have close ties and dependency on AmigaOS4.1FE users and Hyperion, and I doubt that enough MorphOS users will purchase X5000 systems to change that dependency.

I wonder if A-Eon is paying for and completing the AmigaOS4.1FE drivers for the X5000, while the MorphOS Dev. Team is writing their own drivers for the X5000 for MorphOS3.10?

@pega1,

Do you mean by "put back" that Trevor promised to sell some of the Cyrus+ systems or motherboards to MorphOS users & developers without AmigaOS4.1FE "tax" added?

[ Edited by amigadave 03.10.2015 - 11:33 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »03.10.15 - 19:28
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    As a quick note, a friend recently sent me a terse PM reminding me to "Ask A-eon".

So, maybe we should just sit back and let this unfold.

I have decided that as I have specifically been pulling for this one, I'll have to support and buy it.
    And I'd love to see an X5000 shipped with MorphOS installed.

I can't say whether that will happen or not, but think about it.
    Wouldn't it make sense?

In fact, we have all been so focused on the fact that we set up our own hardware (because hackers do that), that we have ignored the fact that most OS' come pre-installed on new hardware.

[ Edited by Jim 03.10.2015 - 18:16 ]
  • »03.10.15 - 23:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'd love to see an X5000 shipped with MorphOS installed. I can't say whether that
    > will happen or not, but think about it. Wouldn't it make sense?

So far, there is no Sam460 shipped with MorphOS installed, even though you can return OS4 for a refund. So I guess the possibility is bare.

> we have ignored the fact that most OS' come pre-installed on new hardware.

It's not about what we users have or haven't ignored but the simple fact that MorphOS doesn't come preinstalled on new hardware.
  • »03.10.15 - 23:36
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I'd love to see an X5000 shipped with MorphOS installed. I can't say whether that
    > will happen or not, but think about it. Wouldn't it make sense?

So far, there is no Sam460 shipped with MorphOS installed, even though you can return OS4 for a refund. So I guess the possibility is bare.

> we have ignored the fact that most OS' come pre-installed on new hardware.

It's not about what we users have or haven't ignored but the simple fact that MorphOS doesn't come preinstalled on new hardware.

Not yet, but it should.
    Even in the late '80's and early '90s I was involved in shipping hacker oriented PT68K4 based systems fully finished with Microware OS-9 on them as "System IV" computers.

And in retail, complete computers come with an OS pre-installed.

So why not MorphOS?

After all, they usually install OS4 on AmigaOne 500 and X1000 systems before shipment.

Its just the way things are done these days.

Edit - Just wanted you all to realize this is NOT likely to happen.

AmigaOne 500s come with OS4.1 pre-installed, not MorphOS.
    We just have MorphOS support for the SAM460.
    And we will undoubtedly have to install MorphOS on the X5000 on our own.

But retail systems SHOULD exist.
    If I was younger, I'd pursue it myself.
    BUT I have already done that kind of thing once.

[ Edited by Jim 03.10.2015 - 19:02 ]
  • »03.10.15 - 23:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    I think time (and money?) used to bring MorphOS to the X5000 should have been used to move on to something more meaningful such as the x86 version. As someone from MorphOS Team told me... only a handful of licenses came from Sam460 users... let alone from a computer costing 2500 Euro (starting from!) that is the X5000.
  • »04.10.15 - 07:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Everblue

I think it's mostly about getting some up to date hardware that is easy to port to. This will give the Team a way to port more modern hardware which they can use for the system jump.

Also, I bet it must feel nice to be able to remove the last valid critizism against MorphOS: no new hardware. Sure, it happened already with the SAM 460 port but the more the merrier :-)

[ Edited by Yasu 04.10.2015 - 11:04 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »04.10.15 - 10:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Double post.

[ Edited by Yasu 04.10.2015 - 11:06 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »04.10.15 - 10:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @Everblue

I think it's mostly about getting some up to date hardware that is easy to port to. This will give the Team a way to port more modern hardware which they can use for the system jump.

Also, I bet it must feel nice to be able to remove the last valid critizism against MorphOS: no new hardware. Sure, it happened already with the SAM 460 port but the more the merrier :-)

I just hope they get their time and effort's worth in registered licences.
  • »04.10.15 - 11:48
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Everblue wrote:
    I think time (and money?) used to bring MorphOS to the X5000 should have been used to move on to something more meaningful such as the x86 version. As someone from MorphOS Team told me... only a handful of licenses came from Sam460 users... let alone from a computer costing 2500 Euro (starting from!) that is the X5000.

I have placed my trust in the guys that make these decisions as they have not steered us wrong yet.
    The move to X64 does trouble me, as its risky (what is being proposed), but I will follow through with that.

In the meanwhile I am extremely happy to see these new PPC developments and wholly welcome them.
  • »04.10.15 - 13:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Hi Everblue,

I am sure that you will enjoy your birthday again this year.

Quote:

Everblue wrote:
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @Everblue

I just hope they get their time and effort's worth in registered licences.

[ Edited by Spectre660 04.10.2015 - 10:33 ]
  • »04.10.15 - 14:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    Er, sure I will thanks :D
  • »04.10.15 - 15:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Everblue wrote:

I have placed my trust in the guys that make these decisions as they have not steered us wrong yet.
    The move to X64 does trouble me, as its risky (what is being proposed), but I will follow through with that.

In the meanwhile I am extremely happy to see these new PPC developments and wholly welcome them.

Ah well of course, it is their own decision and of course there is no one but Team MorphOS itself that knows what is best for their product! As for the "risky" move to X64... I have no idea what is being propsed, or what the plan is if it has been undisclosed at all. Maybe you know some stuff I do not :)
  • »04.10.15 - 15:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    By then you should be able to see if there are Amiga NG choices that make sense for you .So relax for a while.

Quote:

Everblue wrote:
    Er, sure I will thanks :D
  • »04.10.15 - 15:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    Not sure I understand what you are trying to tell me, but I acknowledge it anyway!
  • »04.10.15 - 16:46
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Um, maybe he's pointing out that we need to take this a little less seriously and relax.
    We have a lot of NG options already.
    I, for one, don't want to wear down the developers with too many more requests.

Look what we have gotten recently.
    A slew of new video drivers.
    A new port to the SAM460.
    And, hopefully soon, a new port to the X5000.

If this was a commercial venture I'd be trying to get these guys to take a vacation to avoid burning out, not asking things like "when are we going to do 'x'".
  • »04.10.15 - 19:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As someone from MorphOS Team told me... only a handful of licenses
    > came from Sam460 users

No surprise considering the current state of GPU support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMTXPvDvWA
  • »04.10.15 - 19:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    As a quick note, a friend recently sent me a terse PM reminding me to "Ask A-eon".

Reminding to ask what should be public info? A-Eonkit don't seem to be embracing MorphOS, rather tolerating it. Will you only be able to get one without OS4 installed if you know the super-secret handshake ;-)
  • »04.10.15 - 20:06
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

Reminding to ask what should be public info? A-Eonkit don't seem to be embracing MorphOS, rather tolerating it. Will you only be able to get one without OS4 installed if you know the super-secret handshake ;-)

considering they allowed the purchase of HW pre-release for MOS to be ported to it, i'd say they're supporting it. and while i don't know how many MOS licenses for the X5K will be sold, i know of at least one. me.

-- eliyahu
  • »04.10.15 - 20:29
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Well...yeah we do come off as the bastard step children of the Amiga.
    And I'm not happy that our developers aren't receiving more support.
    But remember Trevor still has to rely on Herman's for his primary OS.
    Its not like you are just free to buy it for any hardware.

Right now...I think we ought to lay off of all the involved parties.
    Its getting close to introduction, and I'm sure they have other things on their minds then addressing our questions.
  • »04.10.15 - 21:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Actually I take things seriously but try to relax at the same time.

Quote from Trevors Blog 18th June15 just to tease ya . ;-) .

"His current machine is a Sam460ex but, as part of our Core Linux support team, he is about to receive his first A-EON Technology hardware, unfortunately he is sworn to secrecy so don't ask! ;-)"

Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Um, maybe he's pointing out that we need to take this a little less seriously and relax.
    We have a lot of NG options already.
    I, for one, don't want to wear down the developers with too many more requests.

Look what we have gotten recently.
    A slew of new video drivers.
    A new port to the SAM460.
    And, hopefully soon, a new port to the X5000.

If this was a commercial venture I'd be trying to get these guys to take a vacation to avoid burning out, not asking things like "when are we going to do 'x'".

Quote:

Quote:

• »04.10.15 - 21:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > As someone from MorphOS Team told me... only a handful of licenses came from Sam460 users

That is probably a touchy point right now.
    Bigfoot (and others) put a lot into the new video drivers.
    And, I don't know who has one of the limited number of X5000, but one of them is probably Pega-1.
    So, we really need to limit our current demands from these two.
    They have been busting their asses for us lately.

I'd be perfectly happy running a R500 series card in an X5000 until time is available to enhance the HD drivers.
  • »04.10.15 - 21:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    My problem was not being able to get the network up most of the time on my sam460ex. The few times that I did were more of a fluke.
    Also not being able to install to the same hard drive as Amigaos 4.1 and Linux. Still have a spare partition reserved for MorphOS when it supports booting from a shared hard drive thought.

Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > As someone from MorphOS Team told me... only a handful of licenses came from Sam460 users

That is probably a touchy point right now.
    Bigfoot (and others) put a lot into the new video drivers.
    And, I don't know who has one of the limited number of X5000, but one of them is probably Pega-1.
    So, we really need to limit our current demands from these two.
    They have been busting their asses for us lately.

I'd be perfectly happy running a R500 series card in an X5000 until time is available to enhance the HD drivers.
  • »04.10.15 - 21:24