MorphOS on AmigaOne X5000?
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Posts: 326 from 2003/4/11
    Just before this derails any further into lala-land...

    A-EON have been supportive and helpful in getting MorphOS supported on the X5000, both in terms of hardware and software. They lent us a P5020DS as well as shipped X5000 motherboards completely free of charge to both me and Frank, and they've offered their support where they could with regards to software as well.

    In fact we (the MorphOS Team) have only recently been able to offer A-EON a beta version of MorphOS to run on the X5000 very recently, so obviously A-EON haven't been able to publish their own screenshots of MorphOS running on the X5000, nor have they been able to write first hand about it.

    Quote:

    redrumloa wrote:

    It looks as though A-Eonkit may be backtracking on their promises:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&post_id=121499&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1


    I'm guessing there's a language barrier here. What is meant is that A-EON have offered to sell pre-release systems to any MorphOS developers or testers who were interested. I know at least one person took them up on that offer and got the machine as well, so nothing bad at all to be said there.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »07.10.15 - 13:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Posts: 257 from 2015/6/30
    Again let me point out that the Debian demonstration is not on the X5000.
    The fun part of your post is image it inspires of the first batch of five hundred X5000 motherboards selling out like hot cakes to AmigaOS fans.
    The truth may be that many of us secretly or otherwise want to get our hands on one of these .

    Quote:

    redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

    amigadave wrote:
    What rock have you been hiding under? A-Eon and the people behind that company have never wished MorphOS and its users and developers any ill will. The founding member of A-Eon, Trevor Dickenson, even has several MorphOS systems and has written about his use of them, including complimenting MorphOS and its developers, on his blog, or spoke about them in person at different events.


    More like, what rock have you been under?

    No mention of MorphOS:
    https://m.facebook.com/AEonTechnologyLtd/photos/a.461608890516168.110788.447768335233557/1082048695138848/?type=3&source=48

    No mention of MorphOS, but rather a Debian mention:
    https://m.facebook.com/AEonTechnologyLtd/photos/a.461608890516168.110788.447768335233557/1083129291697455/?type=3&refid=17

    It looks as though A-Eonkit may be backtracking on their promises:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&post_id=121499&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1

    Day to day operations of A-Eonkit are not run by Trevor. He may actually personally like MorphOS and be friendly, but his company does not operate in such a manner.


  • »07.10.15 - 13:44
    Profile
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Posts: 326 from 2003/4/11
    Oh, and Spectre660... You were the one with Sam460 network problems earlier in this thread, right? I'll PM you my email address, and if you're up for it, I can send you some test versions of the driver to try. Hopefully we can get this sorted out for you.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »07.10.15 - 13:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11012 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > except for USB, the Macs are one generation behind.

    In case of the memory controller of the PowerMac7,3 it's even two generations (DDR3 vs. DDR1).
  • »07.10.15 - 14:06
    Profile
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Posts: 4912 from 2009/1/28
    From: Delaware, USA
    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > except for USB, the Macs are one generation behind.

    In case of the memory controller of the PowerMac7,3 it's even two generations (DDR3 vs. DDR1).


    Good point.

    @ Bigfoot - Thanks for the clarification Mark.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »07.10.15 - 14:24
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Posts: 257 from 2015/6/30
    Thanks.

    Response sent .


    Quote:

    bigfoot wrote:
    Oh, and Spectre660... You were the one with Sam460 network problems earlier in this thread, right? I'll PM you my email address, and if you're up for it, I can send you some test versions of the driver to try. Hopefully we can get this sorted out for you.
  • »07.10.15 - 14:32
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Posts: 1417 from 2003/4/13
    I stand corrected. If Bigfoot is happy, I am happy. Glad to hear they are supportive after all and I read into things wrong.

    Quote:

    bigfoot wrote:
    Just before this derails any further into lala-land...

    A-EON have been supportive and helpful in getting MorphOS supported on the X5000, both in terms of hardware and software. They lent us a P5020DS as well as shipped X5000 motherboards completely free of charge to both me and Frank, and they've offered their support where they could with regards to software as well.

    In fact we (the MorphOS Team) have only recently been able to offer A-EON a beta version of MorphOS to run on the X5000 very recently, so obviously A-EON haven't been able to publish their own screenshots of MorphOS running on the X5000, nor have they been able to write first hand about it.

    Quote:

    redrumloa wrote:

    It looks as though A-Eonkit may be backtracking on their promises:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&post_id=121499&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1


    I'm guessing there's a language barrier here. What is meant is that A-EON have offered to sell pre-release systems to any MorphOS developers or testers who were interested. I know at least one person took them up on that offer and got the machine as well, so nothing bad at all to be said there.
  • »07.10.15 - 17:19
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Posts: 156 from 2004/11/18
    I think that AEON play the game greatly :-) i think that the X5000 support is not a problem for morphos, the more machine we support the more users we will have :-)
  • »07.10.15 - 21:54
    Profile
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Posts: 65 from 2011/4/21
    Quote:

    In fact we (the MorphOS Team) have only recently been able to offer A-EON a beta version of MorphOS to run on the X5000 very recently, so obviously A-EON haven't been able to publish their own screenshots of MorphOS running on the X5000, nor have they been able to write first hand about it.

    if you're looking for a third-party tester, let me know. :-)

    -- eliyahu
    Check out the latest on next-generation Amiga computing at IntuitionBase.com!
  • »08.10.15 - 16:42
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11012 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    Update:

    > A new lower-end board from A-Eon would most likely be e5500-based (QorIQ T1) I guess.

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11382&forum=3&start=13
  • »11.10.15 - 00:03
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Zylesea
    Posts: 1962 from 2003/6/4
    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    Update:

    > A new lower-end board from A-Eon would most likely be e5500-based (QorIQ T1) I guess.

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11382&forum=3&start=13

    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=40603&forum=16&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0
    From what Chain-Q and Pavlor wrote in that thread I guess it's P102x based. e500v2 - pity!

    [ Editiert durch Zylesea 11.10.2015 - 00:27 ]
    --
    http://www.via-altera.de

    Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »11.10.15 - 00:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11012 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > From what Chain-Q and Pavlor wrote in that thread I guess it's P102x based. e500v2 - pity!

    Pity indeed. According to this, A1222 "Tabor" would be Zigotzky's "P1022 Custom board" he said he bought in 2014. I'm surprised this is actually an A-Eon/ACube board.
  • »11.10.15 - 00:35
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Posts: 257 from 2015/6/30
    Why is everyone taking this so hard ?
    I have one too and it is a very nice board.

    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > From what Chain-Q and Pavlor wrote in that thread I guess it's P102x based. e500v2 - pity!

    Pity indeed. According to this, A1222 "Tabor" would be Zigotzky's "P1022 Custom board" he said he bought in 2014. I'm surprised this is actually an A-Eon/ACube board.




    [ Edited by Spectre660 10.10.2015 - 20:38 ]
  • »11.10.15 - 01:26
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Posts: 1417 from 2003/4/13
    Quote:

    Spectre660 wrote:
    Why is everyone taking this so hard ?
    I have one too and it is a very nice board.

    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > From what Chain-Q and Pavlor wrote in that thread I guess it's P102x based. e500v2 - pity!

    Pity indeed. According to this, A1222 "Tabor" would be Zigotzky's "P1022 Custom board" he said he bought in 2014. I'm surprised this is actually an A-Eon/ACube board.





    I'm not 100% sure I am following this. If this Acube rebranding someone else's hardware and marking it up for the OS4 market? Is this a rpi level board for 1,000 Euro as someone mentioned? Who is the original manufacturer? Wiki?
  • »11.10.15 - 04:33
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Posts: 257 from 2015/6/30
    We wait for the official announcement.
    But I link back to my post a few days ago with a quote from Trevor's Amiga Blog
    were he introduced me as a member of the A-Eon core Linux Support Team.

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&post_id=121579&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1

    Quote:

    redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

    Spectre660 wrote:
    Why is everyone taking this so hard ?
    I have one too and it is a very nice board.

    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > From what Chain-Q and Pavlor wrote in that thread I guess it's P102x based. e500v2 - pity!

    Pity indeed. According to this, A1222 "Tabor" would be Zigotzky's "P1022 Custom board" he said he bought in 2014. I'm surprised this is actually an A-Eon/ACube board.





    I'm not 100% sure I am following this. If this Acube rebranding someone else's hardware and marking it up for the OS4 market? Is this a rpi level board for 1,000 Euro as someone mentioned? Who is the original manufacturer? Wiki?
  • »11.10.15 - 04:53
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    Posts: 162 from 2004/1/6
    @Spectre666 you have a Tabor board?

    Why is Tabor being compared to a Raspberry Pi? Pricewise it surely isn't one!
  • »11.10.15 - 08:52
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Posts: 637 from 2006/5/28
    From: Germany
    the new sam followup Board will have a dual core processor and 1,2GHz Speed. the price will be the same as the current sam.

    [ Edited by Cego 11.10.2015 - 09:36 ]
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 160GB+500GB HD, MorphOS 3.13, AmigaOS4.1 FE, MacOS X Panther 10.3.9, Debian 8
  • »11.10.15 - 10:31
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    Posts: 162 from 2004/1/6
    That's good - hopefully "soon" considering that Acube have been out of Sam460 boards for a while now.
  • »11.10.15 - 11:02
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11012 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > Why is everyone taking this so hard ?

    Have you clicked the 2nd link in comment #138?

    > I have one too and it is a very nice board.

    ...but not for OS4 nor MorphOS.
  • »11.10.15 - 12:15
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Posts: 257 from 2015/6/30
    Time will tell.
    WIth the joint resources of A-Eon,Ultra Varisys,Acube and Hyperion and others I would bet that it will be a nice board for OS4 .

    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Why is everyone taking this so hard ?

    Have you clicked the 2nd link in comment #138?

    > I have one too and it is a very nice board.

    ...but not for OS4 nor MorphOS.
  • »11.10.15 - 12:56
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11012 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > WIth the joint resources of A-Eon,Ultra Varisys,Acube and Hyperion and others

    So has this board been developed by Varisys?

    > I would bet that it will be a nice board for OS4 .

    I have severe doubts about that. After all, the incompatibility of the e500v2 core is the reason the UltimatePPC has been put on hold (or cancelled?). And it was also discussed years before in feanor's market research for new PowerPC system.
  • »11.10.15 - 14:43
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Posts: 257 from 2015/6/30
    I can't preempt the official announcement.
    But the Hardware is what drives changes in software.

    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > WIth the joint resources of A-Eon,Ultra Varisys,Acube and Hyperion and others

    So has this board been developed by Varisys?

    > I would bet that it will be a nice board for OS4 .

    I have severe doubts about that. After all, the incompatibility of the e500v2 core is the reason the UltimatePPC has been put on hold (or cancelled?).
  • »11.10.15 - 15:15
    Profile
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Posts: 4912 from 2009/1/28
    From: Delaware, USA
    If this is based an e500v2 cored cpu, you can bet one thing, it will "drive" away support from MorphOS.

    Quote:

    Spectre660 wrote:
    I can't preempt the official announcement.
    But the Hardware is what drives changes in software.

    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > WIth the joint resources of A-Eon,Ultra Varisys,Acube and Hyperion and others

    So has this board been developed by Varisys?

    > I would bet that it will be a nice board for OS4 .

    I have severe doubts about that. After all, the incompatibility of the e500v2 core is the reason the UltimatePPC has been put on hold (or cancelled?).



    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.10.15 - 15:21
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2639 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:

    Cego wrote:
    the new sam followup Board will have a dual core processor and 1,2GHz Speed. the price will be the same as the current sam.


    That sounds perhaps more interesting than the "Tabor", do you have any more info about that one? Like what is its CPU for example and planned availability etc?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »11.10.15 - 17:39
    Profile
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Posts: 4912 from 2009/1/28
    From: Delaware, USA
    Quote:

    Spectre660 wrote:
    I can't preempt the official announcement.
    But the Hardware is what drives changes in software.

    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > WIth the joint resources of A-Eon,Ultra Varisys,Acube and Hyperion and others

    So has this board been developed by Varisys?

    > I would bet that it will be a nice board for OS4 .

    I have severe doubts about that. After all, the incompatibility of the e500v2 core is the reason the UltimatePPC has been put on hold (or cancelled?).





    ONLY hardware that is an IMPROVEMENT.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.10.15 - 18:03
    Profile