Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Otherwise I'd consider buying an X5000/20 motherboard

Tired of waiting for the X5000/40? :-)

Well, its hard to justify buying an X5000/20 when our current hardware seems just as capable (outside of the issue of video card support).
    Were we to have PCIe G5 support, I'm not sure I could even justify the wait. ;-)

I'd say if we ever get support for the quad G5 w/PCIe HD video card drivers fully supporting 3D, the cost of the 5040 X5000 would be very hard to justify. What do you get? It's new, it has newer SATA hardware (AmigaOS4.1FE SATA driver has at least 1 person complaining or questioning how good it is), it might have faster memory (haven't looked at the exact numbers), and the X5000 will be capable of running both AmigaOS4.1FE, and MorphOS3.10.

If you don't mind paying the price to buy an X5000 for those few advantages, after the MorphOS Dev. Team supports the PCIe G5, (and I think you will, given your fondness for PPC hardware), then go for it.

I doubt that the MorphOS Dev. Team will use their limited time to support the quad G5, UNLESS they want to offer MorphOS users the ability to run a cheap and fast system, which also supports PCIe video cards. The SAM460 is hard to find for sale, and not really cheap, considering the performance you get for your money. If there is no way to shut off, or put to sleep, the unused 3 extra G5 cores, running MorphOS3.10 on the quad G5 will be very energy inefficient.

I wonder if Bigfoot is using an X5000 to write the new RadeonHD drivers, or only using the X5000 to test the driver once it is done?

[ Edited by amigadave 11.07.2017 - 10:38 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.07.17 - 18:35