• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

I don't see any reason the X5000 would fail.
    Tabor, while not a good solution, is still likely to be purchased by the OS4 fanboys that want a low cost system.

The 2.5 year lead time is a failure in itself (clock is still ticking), as is having a batch of produced boards sitting on a shelf collecting dust and getting old fashioned by the day. A huge amount of money is tied up in this, and the gamble is enormous since it doesn't offer that much beyond the X1000 spec wise and performance wise, especially not relative current standards. It's more of a sideways move than a leap forward, and this compared to an X1000, which was in 2005 level performance territory to begin with. And it's still a grotesquely overpriced piece of HW, only marginally cheaper than the X1000. The market for X1000 priced OS4 machines was very narrow to begin with, even half a decade ago when some people still were interested in that kind of stuff, no matter the cost. And how many of those people already bought an X1000 will actually coin up almost a similar insane price a second time only to get about what they already have? My guess is, not very many. Especially not considering the questional state of OS4 and its future. Is there a heartbeat there still? Are there any developers? Seems low-level coders disappeared years ago. File system development abandoned, gfx drivers abandoned, etc. Is there any competence left capable of building support for new machines? No updates whatsoever for a very long time. And what "OS4 fanboys" for that matter? Even the just-want-to-talk-and-dream-about-it crowd seems to have moved on, judging by forum activity. These days it's the same 10-15 guys talking in circles. I suppose reality has started to shine through. Ben Hermans is currently milking the last few possible sales out of OS4 Final(!) through the €30 digital download edition for emulators running on X86. Who will want a ridiculously underpowered PPC machine like the Tabor? In 2018? By then there will be nobody left.

And you don't see how it could fail? :lol:
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »09.03.16 - 00:19