• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

AltiVeced schrieb:
    You are kidding, right?
    To not use all features/ capacities of CPU is a wise idea?
    To keep it simple ... It's like building a highway with 4 lanes and only use 1 ...

For everyday use a 68k CPU should be enough ...
    Give Trevor a call and tell him to use a 750 G3. It's cheap and all you need

Sorry, it's unbelievable ...

Tell the x86 guys to not use the SIMD unit of a i7. It will be fun for sure ;-)
    I wonder, what do you want in fact?

No, I am not kidding. I am pretty serious.
    Of course an optimized code for every processor would speed things up. But it messes things up, too. Look, today we have quite some differerent cpus for MorphOS already (603e, 604, 5200B, 750CXe, 7447ies, some other G4s, 970ies). But binaries don't care about that issue. They are identical for all these processors. The only exception is Altivec. Nobody wants special binaries for a particular processor, what an ugly mess that would be... If that were the case arguments against the Tabor board would be void, too. The thing is about usability in real life: One architecture/ISA - one binary. But no sub ISA binaries.

All in all it's definitely not a G3 that is good for all, but the processor that executes generic code fastest is choice #1. In MorphOS ppc land that is ibm 970. Unfortunately the 970 bysed systems have their downsides (bulky, noisy, leaky, energy-hungry).

The other thing is to realize when a horse that gets ridden is actually dead. And the ppc horse is a dead for desktop usage since a while. Put you saddle on the back of a new horse if you want to ride on.

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 27.01.2016 - 00:12 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.01.16 - 23:08
    Profile Visit Website