• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    That's where I shake my head. They are taking a router CPU and trying to make it work in a staggeringly expensive desktop computer.

The electricity and heat comparisons are non-issues to me. Electricity is dirt cheap here and the system doesn't run 24/7. Heat is a non factor too. Noise is about the only thing I'd change, but I'm not about to drop $2,500+ for it just to have a much slower computer.

This is boutique manufacturing, and I just don't get it. Anyone who wants one and gets one, more power to them. They are probably much more well off financially than me. I can't justify dropping that kind of dime on a vanity project.

It is your choice to buy an X5000 when it is available for purchase, or to continue using cheaper and faster used Mac hardware. Most people are going to agree with you and will not buy an X5000, but I don't berate anyone who decides they want to buy one, and I also don't blame A-Eon for making new PPC computers to run AmigaOS4.1FE (and now MorphOS3.10). I am sure Trevor (and Matthew) are trying to make the best decisions they can given the information available to them, and the advice they receive from their manufacturing partners, as well as the developers at Hyperion. We and many other people may not agree with many of those decisions, or the advice that led to those decisions, but I don't get all worked up, angry, or disrespectful toward the people who are attempting to do something to help the greater Amiga community.

I dislike the amount and/or severity of some of the criticism I see on forum sites, specially when it is coming from people who don't have all the facts and history that have influenced the decisions. When I do criticize any of the decisions that A-Eon managers have made, I try very hard to remain objective, and I have the advantage of knowing the people making some of those decisions a little better than most other users who have no contact directly with Trevor and Matthew. I have had the pleasure of talking with both and feel that I have a good understanding of what they are trying to accomplish, or at the very least, I think I know for certain that their intentions are good for the community, even when some people within the community feel that some or all of the choices management of A-Eon have made over the last several years, in some of the users minds, are actually bad for the community (a view that I don't agree with).

More than anything else, I respect Trevor and Matthew for their commitment and courage to invest so much of their own money and time, trying to achieve their goals, regardless if you agree or disagree with their goals, or the choices and methods used to try to achieve them. Also, I greatly dislike the way in which some of the criticism has been presented, and have found that some times, by some people (not saying this is you), have often spread information and opinions that are blatantly false, usually with great emotion and few or zero facts.

From my perspective, I blame Hyperion for most bad choices, and I firmly believe that all AmigaOS4.x users and programmers would be much better off if AmigaOS4.x had followed the example of MorphOS2.0, by porting AmigaOS4.x to G4 & G5 Mac computers (but I probably shouldn't even mention that any more, as it is ancient history, and we can't go back to change those mistakes).

One advantage the AmigaOS4.x community has over the MorphOS community is that they have far less users who waste time bashing other systems, other users, and other developers, or company choices, and they have the appearance of a more positive and active community of users and 3rd party developers. They are more vocal in a positive way and spread positive news better and more wide spread than the MorphOS users appear to be able to do, and the only explanation most MorphOS users seem to have is that they would rather have less quantity, but better quality, which is okay, but the perspective that many (most) people outside the MorphOS community have of us, is a negative one, which in my opinion has hurt our ability to gain as many new users from the remaining 68k Amiga community as we should have, or could have, but that loss is impossible to gauge or measure, so it is usually dismissed, specially by those who may have done the most harm to the MorphOS community with their hateful, or negative comments on forums like this one.

After all, we can probably count on one hand the number of new users who come to any Amiga inspired OS from outside the former Commodore Amiga 68k community each year, so not offending those former 68k Commodore Amiga users and programmers, or NOT giving them such a negative perspective is very important to our ability to gain more new users and programmers from the community where are most likely to get new users and programmers from.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.01.16 - 19:42