• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

AltiVeced wrote:
    I don't want to say anything, but ... it isn't that easy to compare CPUs just the way like this.
    Have you all ever considered that you have to optimize the code for a new CPU?
    In the days the Pentium IV 1.4GHz pops up, it was as fast as a Pentium III 1GHz.
    The same with the G5s ... at the early days a G4 2GHz was "nearly" as fast as a G5 2GHz, despite higher memory bandwidth etc.. And the G4 (upgrade cards) at 2GHz were only overclocked 1.7GHz. The same with the 2.7GHz G5, they were overclocked 2.5GHz ones.

All in all, if you have a new CPU core, you have to optimized the code for it.
    An e600 core isn't the same as an e5500 or e6500 core.

The problem is, I don't see the developer (Morph or AOS) to squeeze the maximum out of this new CPUs.
    Do you really think, FreeScale is that silly? To develop a new core (approx. ten years later) and the new one is slower than the old one?

'was as fast as a Pentium III' - Not in many of the benchmarks, I had Tualtin core products running at 1.6 GHZ that were way more powerful than a P4 1.6 GHZ P4 (except foe memory bandwidth).

'"nearly" as fast as a G5' - but still not as fast, and the G5 scaled to 2.5-2.7 GHz while the systems went dual core and then quad core.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »25.01.16 - 19:26