• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Interesting figures Andreas,
    Most seem to point to an interesting parity between your G4 and the P5020 in the X5000 (once frequency differences are considered).
    Occasionally the X5000 pulls ahead, but not as often as I would have expected.

So, its a pretty good guess that a single thread benchmark of a T1042 based system would be quite close to your Mac Mini.

Hmm...so, would I pay an arm and a leg for a P5020 based based system when a T10XX based board the would perform almost 3/4s as well (basically, would I pay for a system that is only about 1/3rd faster than a Mac Mini)?
    I don't know, I the idea of a new system is appealing, especially if its logo'd as an AmigaOne.

I might have to wait for the P5040 based variant.

But even then, I suspect the PowerMac G5 will have an advantage over the A-eon boards.
    Even if SMP were supported the G5 would probably still come out on top.

And while a T2080 1.8 GHz based board might beat both of those (with SMP) in synthetic benchmarks, its additional threads would probably not provide as much of a boost in real world use as as they might in theory.

We should get to see AMD's Zen core this year.
    And Intel's hardware is performing nicely.
    An ISA shift could provide a 2-4 times performance boost.

I LIKE PPCs, but with under performing, over priced hardware as our only recourse, maybe Zylesea is right.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »23.01.16 - 22:36