• vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

vox wrote:

I am saying all this, because X5000 is similar product. Its not in high end computing but in niche market of fastest available desktop PPC board. Whatever promotion and market visibility X5000 receives, there is a potential benefit for MorphOS.

The way I see it there is zero benefit for MorphOS for neither Sam 460 or X5000 (other than the said improvements of Quark that happened because of this and new graphics drivers that later can be used on x86). They are too limited, too expensive, have too few users. As a "HW path forward" for MorphOS (and OS4) they are a dead-end (the same goes for OS4 of course).

Luckily it has now become more publicly acknowledged than before that the MorphOS Team are working towards a *real* future on a *real* HW platform, so under any circumstances the Sam 460 and X5000 are just side tracks on the way there, a parenthesis in MorphOS's future history... ;-)

Radeon and possible other PCI-E drivers aren`t that little, its a huge leap forward. As long as MorphOS is PPC, its good to have more mobos supported and it will be good to see MorphOS offered again in shops. No one is saying that is definite end or major benefit. Other then that I might think X5000 (maybe X1000 too) could be used to develop PPC64 (general 64-bit version) and multicore support.

So, there is still some work to do.

In perfect future MorphOS 4 would be offered both AMD64 and PPC32/64.

Likewise, its more benefit to current and possible SAM/x5000 owners, but there is also some benefit of having them on MorphOS side.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »22.04.15 - 21:35