• MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    I would simply not care about allinement and just leave some non partitioned area at the end. Since these blocks will never be touched by MorphOS, the SSD will forever know these blocks are free to use.

Also you probably should NEVER use full format with SSD. Without trim, that sets ALL contained blocks to the "might be in use" state (instead of "known to be free"). Better let that happen gradually, when you start filling the partition with data.

Sure, but he wanted to format and repartition a used SSD, where TRIM makes it fresh as new.

Well, I did not do this for any of my SSDs. They all work in worst case mode. 512KB blocksize, no proper alignment, no trim supporting file system and no unused area. :D

Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:

As for Apple, they didn't "disable TRIM", but rather "disabled TRIM on non-Apple-branded devices". AFAIK, they already did this in the previous OS version, BUT there you could switch this on/off for drives at will. Now on the newest version, you must disable "bigger chunk of security features" to get TRIM working normally on non-Apple drives.

I just wonder, what is this supposed to do with security? It's as (un)secure with and without TRIM...

I guess Apple did that because some vendors had problems with their TRIM handling and the OS using TRIM, simply corrupted the file systems and data on the drives. By disabling it for these "non Apple SSDs" (==untested SSDs) they avoid any of these problems.

Geit
  • »02.12.14 - 14:15