• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I think it means [...] they know they are not incorporating the gpu board into
    > the design. [...] or possibly they are thinking of an eventual production design
    > that does incorporate the gpu.

A new public statement regarding GPU:

"we want to have an MXM connector for the graphic card but we cannot guarantee that it will be finally included."
    https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/2017/06/fundraising-powerpc-notebook-reaches-20-goal-six-days/

In terms of slot type, I still can't think of a feasible alternative to MXM.

Neither can I, which makes their waffling doubly confusing.
    As I said, I thought we had worked this out.
    Every single feature and component has been discussed to the point where I thought we had pretty much beaten every topic into submission.

But they are a cautious bunch, for having so much ambition.
    I don't think this will impede progress, as once Acube proceeds with their part of Phase 1, they will have to have a locked down target (and have already been helpful in suggesting some design points).

"we want to have an MXM connector for the graphic card but we cannot guarantee that it will be finally included."

But the prototypes won't have gpus soldered to the boards, which leaves no real alternative to MXM cards, at least for the prototypes.

So, Andreas, what do YOU think is the likely resolution of this confusion?
    I just see it as just being overly cautious, and not a real impediment to progressing through Phase 1.

If a future redesign eliminates the MXM card, so be it, but the goals for the initial prototypes shouldn't be affected.

[ Edited by Jim 30.06.2017 - 03:31 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »30.06.17 - 08:28