• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Hi Andreas, sorry for the delay, I took a break and I have been playing around with Ubuntu Mate, and I'm doing some yard work (its Sunday after all).

All good points in your posts.
    Yes, the goal at this point is just to obtain 5 prototypes.
    The agreements with Acube do not include manufacturing (I don't believe they actually manufacture their own boards), it just for engineering/design. That IS a really good question btw, that has not occurred to anyone from outside the group.

The current goal, in reality, if anyone read the posts I referenced, is for the motherboard of the system.

The board, once designed, can be manufactured by any firm with the capacity to handle something this complex.
    And assembly of the systems does not have to be done by the firm that manufactures the boards.
    Further, if you really want to break it down, the company that makes the boards does not have to be the same company that populates them (with the obvious point that this is NOT a design that a hobbyist could populate at home).

You've made the correct assumption on the graphics boards.
    An onboard gpu would have limited us to one solution, and I'm one of the people pushing for AMD gpus, while some others would prefer Nvidia.
    This solution will increase the end price, but it will also be more flexible, allow upgradability and extend the long term utility of the system.

I am reasonably sure that we will get the schematics paid for.
    You must admit, that is a bargain price that we have been quoted.

There are still discussions that we need to hold as to what we are going to do with this as a property (NDAs, etc).
    The group is working as a non-profit organization, but I myself, am not in favor of just dumping the design into public domain (at least not at first).
    BUT, I can't speak for everyone, so...

Hey, to summarize, the goals are set for now.
    And we will just have to pursue this one step at a time.

In every further step of this, I assume we will work out and discuss the details before acting.
    Its proven to be a successful strategy so far.

Believe it or not, many of you that wouldn't necessarily think of yourselves as having been involved in this, have provided useful ideas and input.

[ Edited by Jim 25.06.2017 - 16:06 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »25.06.17 - 18:23