Yokemate of Keyboards
Posts: 11438 from 2003/5/22
> I'd caution you not to expect either of those figures to be "hard" numbers. [...]
> I don't know that [...] 60250 (which is oddly specific) will be the end figure
I'm just going by the hard numbers that have been officially announced:
"we have identified four [sic!] phases:
1. Hardware components research, analysis of the architecture, and design of the electrical schematics [12600 euro, 30 net days];
2. Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Gerber format delivery of the electrical schematics [11950 euro, 30 net days];
3. Production and delivery of five working prototypes [ 8800 euro, 40 net days];
4. Hardware testing using software provided by the producer (ACube) [14400 euro, 30 net days];
5. Pre-certification CE certification [12.500 euro].
(12600 + 11950 + 8800 + 14400 + 12500) EUR = 60250 EUR, specifically, even if it seems odd.
> If we get this done, I will have a PPC laptop [...]
As I understand, if all 5 phases are accomplished, there's still no production hardware, beside the 5 prototypes of phase #3. There'll still have to be a company manufacturing and selling the product. I couldn't find claimed anywhere that ACube will be this company.
> this portable
device should be more powerful than an X5000/40 (once SMP is factored in).
...for use cases where 5 or more concurrent hardware threads can be completely utilized.