Cold Boot, reset button
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    @Falcon_11:

10-12 secs? Only the time of the initialization process of OF is longer at me... :( Mine boots around 28-30 secs (2-5 secs for MOS+Ambient after the boot.img is loaded).
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »17.06.04 - 19:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • mat
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mat
    OK. As I wrote earlier I've been experimenting with OF scripting to make it recognize disks with long spin-up time. After some problems (screwed up nvramrc) I have found the solution that works for me. What I did is a small script added to nvramrc that adds the slight delay (3-4 seconds) to the boot-up process. The delay is enough for my disks to spin up so I can use auto-boot without reseting Pegasos on cold boot up.

First of all I want to warn enyone trying to use it - it can make your Pegasos unbootable and you'll need to reset nvram settings using emergency procedure described here (in case of screwed up nvramrc you need to press ESC on serial console to get to the IKARUS low level console). I won't take any responsibilty for any damage you could do to your Pegasos or yourself.

After that warning here is what I did.

0. My setup is Pegasos II G4 1GHz with the newest OF (2004-05-04), two disks (Maxtor 200GB and WD 80GB) on primary IDE channel.
    1. Boot up to OF prompt
    2. Open nvramrc using nvedit command
    3. You'll see the simple text editor. At the beginning enter the following:

: wait 500000 0 do i drop loop ;
    wait

Mind tha spaces - it must be exactly as above.
    Press CTRL+C to exit the editor
    4. Save nvramrc to nvram using nvstore command
    5. Power down, wait for the disks to spin down completely and then power it up again. It should boot up normaly with a slightly longer delay before prompt. After that you can try ls /ide - it should show your IDE disks - hopefully detetectd correctly.

Above procedure worked for me - I hope someone brave enough to try will find it usefull to.
  • »21.06.04 - 16:40
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Wow! Sounds like a good solution...
    I am a little scared though. The emergency revival procedure looks very complicated.

Has anybody else tried this successfully?

Cheerio,
    JBB
  • »23.06.04 - 21:39
  • mat
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mat
    Hey, you don't need to be scared. This is just two simple lines of code and two commands. If you do this with "standard" carefullness it just can't go wrong.

And to the revival procedure - it's not really complicated. You just need to connect serial terminal and type the commands manually (as I did) - it's just 5 minutes.
  • »24.06.04 - 09:12
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Hi mat,

Can you just confirm:
    - My NVedit file contains only 1 line, is it normal or it only displays line 1-.
    - I need to type your 2 new lines in line 1- and 2-, with "enter" at the end of each line, so the previous exisiting line becomes 3-?
    - There is no ";" after the final "wait"

Just checking before possibly breaking my Peg forever... but I'm sick of double resetting and willing to take the risk.

Cheers,
    JBB
  • »08.07.04 - 08:31
  • mat
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mat
    First - even if something goes wrong you won't break it "forever".

Second - if you have the newer OF then there should be one line in nv seting some network alias if I remember correctly. What you need to do is just put the additional two lines at the beginning of this file just as if you use normal text editor. And yes - after this the existing line shoul get the number 3.

Finally - no there is no ; in the second line as ; is the Forth keyword marking the end of new word definition (and starting word compilation). Second line just starts freshly defined word "wait" in interpretation mode and thus does not need to have ; after it.

And to be perfectly clear - in the word definition there are spaces between every two Forth words - beeing it numbers, keywords, texts or punctation marks (: and ;). So the definition reads:

:<space>wait<space>500000<space>0<space>do<space>i<space>drop<space>loop<space>;<new-line>

Hope this explains everything,

M.
  • »08.07.04 - 12:31
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Cool.
    Thanks Matt, I'll try tonight!
  • »08.07.04 - 13:06
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Wow wow!!!
    It worked. I can boot in one go after a cold switch on! Thanks a million Mat.

Last thing: 500000, corresponds to what 5s? 10s? Have you tried a little smaller? The boot is much longer now, but that's a small price to pay to be able to dodge the reset button (which on my case is a nightmare needle pin tiny one to reach)

Cheerio,
    Happy JBB!!! :)))
  • »09.07.04 - 00:02
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    (in case of screwed up nvramrc you need to press ESC on serial console to get to the IKARUS low level console)

Please explain further...I mis-typed..doh! :-/

I have hyperterminal connected to serial and I can see debug output....how do I send a command?
  • »09.07.04 - 06:04
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Never mind, I found the answer....

phew! :D
  • »09.07.04 - 07:16
  • mat
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mat
    @JBB
    Cool you did it. And the 5000000 is the loop limit - it does not correspond to anything. I just tried some values and decided that this one gives enough time for my disks - you may try lowering it and re-testing on your hardware.

@JKD
    As I wrote before - you can't screw it permanently and the restoration procedure is quite straightforward. And BTW - did the fix finally worked for you?
  • »09.07.04 - 09:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Maybe this can help

http://www.algonet.se/~chaozer/coldrebootpatch.shtml

Morphos coldrebootpatch
  • »09.07.04 - 16:13
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Mat,
    yes the fix did work for me, with a timeout of 400000. Since this is basically a loop then I assume countdown depends on CPU speed.

It took me a little while to find a decent term program and then the instructions on bPlan's homepage to re-set the nvram...a little nervous for a while there :D

Steve
  • »09.07.04 - 16:54
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    300000 works for me... (PegII-G3)
    A little faster.
  • »09.07.04 - 22:46