PCIX 2.7 CPU work on PCIe Motherboard?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I was wondering if anyone knows if the PowerMac 2.7 Single Processor will work in a Single Processor PCIe motherboard?

Can't seem to find a definitive answer.
  • »26.07.24 - 21:08
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I don't believe those are compatible. The cards would be physically different and have different power connectors.
  • »26.07.24 - 21:28
    Profile Visit Website
    Doffo
    Different CPUs for sure. Eventually I want to find a dual core 2.5 GHz to swap into a dual core/single cpu G5 PCIe tower. :)

Many years ago I had fun swapping some x-serve 2.3 GHz cpus into a G5 tower that had dual 2GHz cpus. It works, but the tower had to have newer firmware and also it can't be the very early G5 towers that only had 4 memory slots I believe it was. The firmware was too old so that may of prevented the G5 tower from ever booting.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »05.08.24 - 07:05
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    Different CPUs for sure. Eventually I want to find a dual core 2.5 GHz to swap into a dual core/single cpu G5 PCIe tower. :)

Many years ago I had fun swapping some x-serve 2.3 GHz cpus into a G5 tower that had dual 2GHz cpus. It works, but the tower had to have newer firmware and also it can't be the very early G5 towers that only had 4 memory slots I believe it was. The firmware was too old so that may of prevented the G5 tower from ever booting.

Thanks for the additional info!

I swapped my single processor to a 2.5GHz DC and it works beautifully. I think we will see at least one MorphOS video in the near future of this being done.

Runs nice and "cool" and snappy...
  • »05.08.24 - 23:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:

I swapped my single processor to a 2.5GHz DC and it works beautifully. I think we will see at least one MorphOS video in the near future of this being done.

Runs nice and "cool" and snappy...

I just swapped my 2.0 single CPU for a 2.5 out of a non working PCIE. Its a lot of work, but well worth it and a very noticeable speed bump.

Since I had it all apart I tried a 2.7 out of a PCI-X machine, and it doesn't fit on the cooler at all. I did put it on the CPU socket and it fits, but no way to secure it or connect the power. You would absolutely have to machine a mount for it and it may work, but that's a lot of work for not a lot of gain. The 2.5 is awesome.

[ Edited by Acill 05.08.2024 - 17:40 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »06.08.24 - 00:39
    Profile Visit Website