Peg1-Users ! poll for open firmware update from Bplan
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    SoundSquare is right, please give only a statement here if you are interested in a Peg1 OF Update. We all know the Peg2 is faster, less problematic etc. pp. But there is room for improvement in the Peg1, and I think even bPlan has an interest to support it, the MorphOS Team anyway.
  • »26.05.05 - 08:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Ok guys... here are some things

1. Bplan is a small operation and atm are working on Peg2 support as Peg1 was beta test and Peg2 is the real hw product now and they are working with industrial customers and all efforts need to be put into peg2.

2. Peg 2 is miles better than peg1. Most all DDR ram i've tried works fine - also tv cards and other pci cards work properly. The speed difference is amazing as is stability.

3. I had a Peg1 April 2 and ran MOL with OS9 and OSx with No problem. You cant use the latest mol version afaik you have to use .68

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »27.05.05 - 15:20
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    What's your point ?? If you see no need for a update, there is no need for it ?

We all know the Peg2 is better than the Peg1, but does this mean that there shouldn't be any support. Most mainboard producers releases BIOS updates for outdated hardware, why not bPlan ?
  • »27.05.05 - 15:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    analogkid

The point is. BPlan is <4 ppl and they are very busy and cant support everything...

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »27.05.05 - 16:37
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    I know, they shouldn't lay high priority on the update. My intention is to show them that there is interest for an update, perhaps they have an unreleased update, which they haven't released yet.
  • »27.05.05 - 17:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

cdfr wrote:

The problems on the peg1 can be a little bit annoying but I would prefer bplan to focus on updating the peg2 firmware.
    Why should they spend some time handling more memory sticks now that peg1 owners have had their peg1 for a long time and obviously already have a working setup ?

I have to second this. Focus on the Pegsos 2 (or even better, on completely *new* hardware :-o :-D ) instead of Pegasos 1 which was discontinued 2 years ago already.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.05.05 - 16:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @takemehomegrandma and magnetic

i don't really get your point guys. Unless u got paid by Genesi everytime u convince someone to buy a Peg2 ...

We bought our Peg1, beta machine or not
    Bplan and Genesi should not have sold beta machines to end user, but they did, and they were happy to sell them and get the cash, so we deserve support like Peg2 users. This is not a 10 years ago machine.
    We are very happy that you guys have a wonderful Peg2 machine, powerful (hum..) and reliable. So now that everything is so amazing and perfect with Peg2 machine why the hell would u need further developpment from bplan on it ? let's try to fix the PEg1 instead cause they really need it., Peg2 machines don't need an update the same way.
    My Peg1 was quite expensive and i can't afford a Pegasos2, sorry guys but some of us don't have an opportunity to be part of the Peg2 elite for various reasons, you should respect that.
    We are only trying to get attention from bplan so they could consider thinking about our wishes. Why don't you just stay away from that thread as it is none of your business?

thanks.
  • »28.05.05 - 18:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ SoundSquare

We are talking about b-plan here, two guys (AFAIK) who might be brilliant in many ways but unfortunately not equipped with unlimited time.

How should they use the limited time they have? Well they could *either*:

a) spend it to refine the firmware of discontinued hardware, hardware that hasn't been for sale for two years and won't bring in any money ever again, a firmware which already *works* even if it's not perfect, a firmware which perhaps doesn't make anyone jump of joy but many people still have working in an acceptable manner nevertheless, firmware for a hardware that can't possibly reach even a Pegasos 2 in quality even *with* that refined firmware (not to speak about hardware *beyond* the current Pegasos 2, which is really needed now IMHO).

*OR*

b) spend their time to refine *current* hardware, or to develop *future* hardware as soon as possible, for the sake of evolution of the company and the platform, and then, if there would be some time left over for other stuff, perhaps *then* write some updated firmware for the old Pegasos 1.

Among your rambelings about "Pegasos 2 elitism" and similar nonsense, you mention you can't afford to buy new hardware. From that point of view, your post makes sense. You have made your once in a life time investment in Pegasos hardware, and you say you will not buy something else, so *you don't care* if that "something else" will *ever* be developed, produced and released, the *only* thing you care about is you getting a better firmware for *your* computer. I understand your point, and guess what, I totally respect it. But if you at least *try* to look at things in a bigger perspective, you might perhaps understand that refined Pegasos 2 firmware and most of all, new hardware altogether, will be essential for the survival and growth of the platform and the company behind it.

You don't need to get attention from b-plan, they surely know that most people would appreciate an upgraded firmware (but again, I don't think this is something that *every* Pegasos 1 owner would die for, since their Peg1's are working in at least *an acceptable* way already (I am one of those, yes I have a Pegasos 1 also)). It's only that b-plan (and lots of other people, me included) prioritize growth and evolvement of the platform instead of spending the time on a motherboard that was discontinued two years ago. Future, instead of the past.

Either focus on this, or focus on that. You say "focus on the past", I say "foucs on the future". And focus is needed, at least in a two man show.

Besides, as far as I recall, it has been said that there will be at least one firmware upgrade for the Pegasos 1. There has also been said (now repeated here today in another thread, actually) that the Pegasos 1 -> Pegasos 2 trade in offer will be resumed. So I think you need to be a little more patient ...
  • »28.05.05 - 20:45
  • jah
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    jah
    some improvements may be impossible because of some hardware limitations
    but
    do you think that removing the mouse debug flood that prevent from booting is more resource-consuming than commenting one line and typing "make" ?
  • »28.05.05 - 21:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @takemehomegrandma

I get your point about bplan.
    I care about the future of the Pegasos platform and support future development, don't get me wrong, i'm not an anti-peg2, The "elitist" stuff was refering to your own attitude. Everytime we point out an issue about Peg1 you keep posting about "Peg 2 is amazing, buy a peg2" which is pointless. The only reason why i don't have a Peg2 is money, i really can't afford it, so you can understand how precious my old Peg1 is for me.
    Now about the update offer i've heard it again and again so many times that it gets really hard now to believe it. bbrv said "it should happen shortly", but that's what i've heard for months...
    Of course you'll tell me that it's gonna be real this time.

Aren't we the most patient persons in the computing world as morphos (and ex-amiga) users ?
  • »29.05.05 - 09:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:

The "elitist" stuff was refering to your own attitude. Everytime we point out an issue about Peg1 you keep posting about "Peg 2 is amazing, buy a peg2" which is pointless.

I don't think the Pegasos 2 is particulary amazing at all, but as the opposite to all other "next generation hardware" for the Amiga market, it's working pretty much as it should for a change (a refined firmware would be nice though). I think the Pegasos 2 is what the Pegasos 1 should have been in the first place (two-three years ago). I would almost like to call the Pegasos 2 for Pegasos 1, and the Pegasos 1 for Pegasos 0.5. ;-) That should explain my view of things, I think! :-)

Quote:

The only reason why i don't have a Peg2 is money, i really can't afford it, so you can understand how precious my old Peg1 is for me.

Of course, sorry if I stepped on anyones toes here! :-)

Quote:

Of course you'll tell me that it's gonna be real this time.

How could I say that, when I don't know more about it than you do?

Quote:

Aren't we the most patient persons in the computing world as morphos (and ex-amiga) users ?

Hehe, definitely. But we also have the coolest systems! :-)

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2005/5/29 10:47 ]
  • »29.05.05 - 10:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >One of the point of the peg2 compared to the peg1 is to get rid of the difficulties with memory.

There are still severe difficulties when trying to put in two memory modules.
    On the other hand I did not have the slightest problem with a single non-registered DIMM in Peg1.
  • »29.05.05 - 10:45
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    DedyAmigo
    Hi!
    If Peg I is beta HW, I bought this for support to Genesi, than I should like support from Genesi to us, something like cheaper upgrade?
    Sory pls for my English, but I send e-mait to Genesi 19.4.2004, and result is

-> "You will be able to upgrade soon, R&B "

I am still waiting... :-(((((

DedyAmigo
    Dedy
    http://amigo.bodli.net
    Powerbook G4/1.67GHz, MOS 3.17 reg
    Asus Zenbook UX32VD, Xubuntu 20.04
  • »29.05.05 - 20:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma