Kickstarter: Tower 57 for MorphOS
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    It will be done (if they reach the goal). Daytona of Cherry Darling will do the port. The game will be in C++ (mostly at least). He has been in contact with the developer and thinks it can be done. And since Daytona delivers, I don't doubt him.

And yes, both AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS will be ported. It says so on the kickstarter description.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »22.08.15 - 15:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    If it doesnt make it to MorohpOS, I'll have a Linux version :-)
  • »22.08.15 - 15:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    It's confirmed, Tower 57 will be ported to MorphOS (and AmigaOS 4), if it reach a 1000 euro streatch goal. This is the first big budget game for NG since ... never?

I wrote more about it here: https://morphosuser.wordpress.com/2015/08/21/new-game-tower-57/

Pledged 35 euros, hoping that the stretch goal is reached to allow an AmigaOS4 & MorphOS version to be created.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.08.15 - 03:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

weiseb wrote:
    I assume strech goal of 1000 Euros means about about 17K left to reach 46000?
    Sorry but I dont see that. The campain is already running for 3 weeks and has 1.5 left.

Yes, there's always a risk that too many people think "It won't achieve the goal anyway...", don't pledge, and the project fails to reach the goal because of that :-)

The only real risk to the user is, if it does reach the goal, but not some specific stretch goal (of course there's always the risk that the project starts and fails later)

I'd say it's very much possible to exceed the minimum, but not by too much...
  • »23.08.15 - 09:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    weiseb
    Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
    Quote:

weiseb wrote:
    I assume strech goal of 1000 Euros means about about 17K left to reach 46000?
    Sorry but I dont see that. The campain is already running for 3 weeks and has 1.5 left.

Yes, there's always a risk that too many people think "It won't achieve the goal anyway...", don't pledge, and the project fails to reach the goal because of that :-)

The only real risk to the user is, if it does reach the goal, but not some specific stretch goal (of course there's always the risk that the project starts and fails later)

I'd say it's very much possible to exceed the minimum, but not by too much...

I second that!

While I dont believe the goal will be reached I already supported
    the campain with money and hope that I am wrong.
  • »23.08.15 - 10:10
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Just backed up this project. Always liked Chaos Engine. :)
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »23.08.15 - 16:27
    Profile Visit Website
    tolkien
    Only a few days left. Come on mates.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »28.08.15 - 23:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I've maxed to my pain limit (99€). I hope some of you will too ;-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »29.08.15 - 14:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Its getting close to reaching the primary goal with only a 1000 needed after that.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »29.08.15 - 19:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > only a 1000 needed after that.

...or not:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?post_id=98835#forumpost98835
    http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?post_id=98856#forumpost98856
  • »29.08.15 - 20:13
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > only a 1000 needed after that.

...or not:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?post_id=98835#forumpost98835
    http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?post_id=98856#forumpost98856

Neat.
    Looks like this will be happening.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »29.08.15 - 21:00
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    It looks like a really nice game with a lot of thought put into it. I backed it a few days ago for a boxed version. We know the Amiga OS and MorphOS versions are in safe hands with Daytona so If you like games for MorphOS then help make the final push now.
  • »30.08.15 - 03:14
    Tcheko
    http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/514621648/tower-57/

The trend is good. Some more backers to secure the trend? :)

++

[ Edited by Tcheko 30.08.2015 - 08:30 ]
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »30.08.15 - 08:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    And we reached 45000 euro. With time to spare. A NG port is then a go :-D

My MorphOS blog
  • »31.08.15 - 00:16
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    It's happening, yay!
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »31.08.15 - 08:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Adonay
    Amazing just did my contribution as well,
  • »31.08.15 - 17:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    WOw, i migh support this aswell.. Looks really good, so cool !! Nice work all donated allready... !!
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »31.08.15 - 20:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Daniel, aka Daytona675x, is the programmer chosen to port this game to AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS, and AROS. As he has stated that he intends to use his own routines and methods for rendering using a compositing engine of his own making, I am wondering if this will adversely affect the ports for MorphOS and AROS. Wouldn't a Warp3D or OpenGL/TinyGL version work better for the MorphOS port of this game? I am not familiar with the 3D abilities of AROS and Mesa, so I don't know how Daytona675x's decisions will affect the port to that platform.

Does anyone know if Daytona675x has done any programming work for MorphOS and AROS previously? I have read that he is a very accomplished programmer, and many people praise his abilities, so maybe my questions and concerns are unfounded.

Maybe a more experienced MorphOS programmer will volunteer to work with Daytona675x on this porting project, so we don't end up with a port that only works best on AmigaOS4.x and the compositing abilities of the currently unsupported RadeonHD video cards (not fully supported yet by MorphOS I mean).

Edit: I should not have written more experienced MorphOS programmer, what I meant was a programmer who specializes on MorphOS alone, as opposed to a programmer like Daytona675x who "might" prefer AmigaOS4.x as his primary target platform. I don't mean to disparage Daytona675x in any way shape or form. I am only voicing my concern because I want the port of this game to run as well as possible on MorphOS (and AROS), not to have the AmigaOS4.x version run better/faster, because of the rendering engine chosen by the programmer. Daytona675x, I am sure you are a great guy, and a fantastic programmer, as has been proved by your past and current work.

Edit2: One other question comes to mind. Will the changes to the game engine mean that the AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS, and AROS versions will not be able to play cooperatively online with the PC, Mac & Linux versions? I hope not.

[ Edited by amigadave 01.09.2015 - 18:45 ]
  • »02.09.15 - 03:16
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Daniel, aka Daytona675x, is the programmer chosen to port this game to AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS, and AROS. As he has stated that he intends to use his own routines and methods for rendering using a compositing engine of his own making, I am wondering if this will adversely affect the ports for MorphOS and AROS. Wouldn't a Warp3D or OpenGL/TinyGL version work better for the MorphOS port of this game? I am not familiar with the 3D abilities of AROS and Mesa, so I don't know how Daytona675x's decisions will affect the port to that platform.

I don't remember if I've seen that statement, but I'm pretty sure it means he'll use his custom engine on higher level (maybe not using SDL framework for 3D or so), but it's still using TinyGL, Warp3D, Mesa, or OS4 compositing on the lower level, depending of the platform.

For example his latest game, Wings Battlefield, uses TinyGL on MorphOS, Mesa on AROS, and Warp3D or compositing on OS4 depending the gfx card.

Quote:

Does anyone know if Daytona675x has done any programming work for MorphOS and AROS previously? I have read that he is a very accomplished programmer, and many people praise his abilities, so maybe my questions and concerns are unfounded.

Yes he has. We have MorphOS versions of several of his games, for example Ace Of Hearts, Voxel Bird, Voxelnoid, and the recent Wings Battlefield. He's been improving his engine all the time and he really is a skilled programmer, and I'm impressed how quick he is to code too :)

Only Voxelnoid was somehow unstable on MorphOS, but the rest work really fine. I had recently Wings Battlefield running as four player game for several hours on MorphOS and it worked just fine, and I've had a long sessions with the two first games too.

Quote:

Maybe a more experienced MorphOS programmer will volunteer to work with Daytona675x on this porting project, so we don't end up with a port that only works best on AmigaOS4.x and the compositing abilities of the currently unsupported RadeonHD video cards (not fully supported yet by MorphOS I mean).

I really don't see any need for that. I have full trust to him :) Maybe he started on OS4, but he has studied the other platforms well too and that's been proved with his earlier work. He's also been answering the questions on this forum and I can't see any sort of bias when communicating with him. I think he has equal interest to make his games to work as well as possible on all platforms.

Quote:

Edit2: One other question comes to mind. Will the changes to the game engine mean that the AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS, and AROS versions will not be able to play cooperatively online with the PC, Mac & Linux versions? I hope not.

I'd guess not.. probably actual gameplay and network layer etc would stay the same, just the lower level rendering differs... just a guess though :)
  • »02.09.15 - 06:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Daytona675x
    @amigadave
    @jPV

Quote:

I don't remember if I've seen that statement, but I'm pretty sure it means he'll use his custom engine on higher level (maybe not using SDL framework for 3D or so), but it's still using TinyGL, Warp3D, Mesa, or OS4 compositing on the lower level, depending of the platform.

Exactly. It is to be expected that the SDL dependencies can be removed very easily. And if possible I prefer to use on my own code :-) My framework uses a special rendering abstraction system (among others for inpur and sound etc.) that allows to select the best "low-level" rendering API for the respective task. This is more important on AOS4 though, to select between Compositing and Warp3D (and to avoid MiniGL). And it of course allows me to have more control over the whole stuff when it comes to tweaking.

Quote:

I really don't see any need for that. I have full trust to him :) Maybe he started on OS4, but he has studied the other platforms well too and that's been proved with his earlier work. He's also been answering the questions on this forum and I can't see any sort of bias when communicating with him. I think he has equal interest to make his games to work as well as possible on all platforms.

Thanks! Yes, don't worry :-) I am absolutely neutral regarding AmigaOS flavours. The MorphOS and AROS versions will be exactly the same as the AmigaOS4 version. Was the MOS version of Battle Squadron (or any other game I was involved) worse than the AOS4 version? I don't think so.

Quote:

One other question comes to mind. Will the changes to the game engine mean that the AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS, and AROS versions will not be able to play cooperatively online with the PC, Mac & Linux versions? I hope not.

The core mechanics of the game will remain original of course. It will be "compatible". And as long as no weird third party blackbox lib is chosen for networking (and I strongly doubt that Benitosub would do so) there is no reason why it should not work or not work between the systems. Wings Battlefield's networking works across all systems too btw. :-)

Calm down guys. I promise(d) you that I'll port this thing for all OS flavours at best possible quality. Period :-)

However: don't throw too detailed questions at me! I have no idea of the current source-code. I only know what Benitosub told me - which was detailed enough to be able to say: "I can do it for sure and it will run for sure on medium level NG Amiga systems".

But for example I cannot tell yet if it will be possible to run it on a A1200 PPC. And I cannot really tell you which rendering strategy I'll chose at the end of the day (maybe I'll stick with the respective 3D APIs, but maybe I'll also do "manual blitting" like in Battle Squadron). As soon as I got the more or less final PC code to work on I can tell you more.
  • »02.09.15 - 07:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Daytona675x wrote:

This is more important on AOS4 though, to select between Compositing and Warp3D (and to avoid MiniGL).

Clueless but curious as I am I have to ask: Why is it important to avoid MiniGL on OS4?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »02.09.15 - 09:15
    BSzili
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Daytona675x wrote:

This is more important on AOS4 though, to select between Compositing and Warp3D (and to avoid MiniGL).

Clueless but curious as I am I have to ask: Why is it important to avoid MiniGL on OS4?

Because it's slow as hell.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »02.09.15 - 09:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Wouldn't a Warp3D or OpenGL/TinyGL version work better for the MorphOS port of this game?

A Warp3D-based version for MorphOS would be a bad idea as it wouldn't work above Radeon R200. And I'm not sure Wazp3D would be up to the task.

> I am not familiar with the 3D abilities of AROS and Mesa

If I'm not mistaken, AROS uses Mesa v7, which is an implementation of OpenGL 2.1.

Edit:
    According to this article, there's a private AROS port of Mesa v11, which implements OpenGL 4.1.

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 04.12.2015 - 00:17 ]
  • »02.09.15 - 09:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks for the reply and assurance Daniel.

Not being a programmer (like you), I just find it confusing that the rendering would work the same on the three different Amiga inspired NG platforms, when one works best with Compositing, and the other two appear to work best with OpenGL/TinyGL, without needing to duplicate the work needed, so AmigaOS4.x uses Compositing, but the MorphOS and AROS versions would be written to use OpenGL/TinyGL to get the best performance for their platforms.

My knee jerk reaction was caused by your statement on AmigaWorld.net that you would be using Compositing to replace SDL, and that you wanted to stay away from OpenGL/TinyGL. To my limited knowledge, Compositing instead of using OpenGL/TinyGL 3D would not result in the best possible performance for MorphOS, and possibly AROS as well.

I have no doubt that MorphOS will soon have full 3D support for some of the RadeonHD video cards, and perhaps systems that are able to use such RadeonHD video cards will also have Compositing support equal to or surpassing that built into AmigaOS4.x video card drivers, but that will not help over 90% of the existing MorphOS users, who will still have AGP systems that use older Radeon R200, R300, & R400 based video cards.

I believe you when you say not to worry, and that all versions will run adequately, but if there is a way to explain in simple terms that even "I" will understand, and it won't take you more that 5 minutes to write out such an explanation, I would really like to understand how all of this works (in the simplest terms).
  • »03.09.15 - 02:22
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Daytona675x
    @amigadave
    Quote:

Not being a programmer (like you), I just find it confusing that the rendering would work the same on the three different Amiga inspired NG platforms, when one works best with Compositing, and the other two appear to work best with OpenGL/TinyGL, without needing to duplicate the work needed, so AmigaOS4.x uses Compositing, but the MorphOS and AROS versions would be written to use OpenGL/TinyGL to get the best performance for their platforms.

I simply already wrote my own OpenGL-like library if you want to put it this way. It's a thin layer that on MOS compiles to TinyGL equivalent calls, on AROS to Mesa equivalent calls and on AOS4 to Warp3D-equivalent calls (so it more or less does the same as MiniGL there, only faster) or alternatively to Compositing calls (so it more or less does the same as WaZp then, only more dedicated to the respective task (my "engine" simply knows better what I want to do than WaZp would know)).
    So in my app-code I use one single set of functions (my OpenGL-like lib) and the output on all platforms is the same (well, almost).

Quote:

My knee jerk reaction was caused by your statement on AmigaWorld.net that you would be using Compositing to replace SDL, and that you wanted to stay away from OpenGL/TinyGL

You simply misread, I did not write that :-) What I wrote was this:

Quote:

Most likely I'll get rid of SDL and use my own trusted framework or excerpts of that to handle input / audio / video / whatever. And I certainly won't use OpenGL directly, because I don't want to rely on MiniGL. Instead I'll use my own OpenGL-like wrapper most likely. That would allow for high quality 1:1 compositing builds without going through WaZp. And it's faster and I have one depenceny less (on MOS and AROS it would translate to TinyGL / OpenGL of course).

As you can see I did not write to stay away from TinyGL or OpenGL nor did I write to replace SDL by Compositing or whatever.

SDL is a lib containing abstraction layers for windows handling, input, audio, video, etc.
    This is exactly what my framework does too, plus an additional OpenGL-like abstraction layer. It is simply less work for me to remove SDL and use my own stuff instead. And in contrast to SDL this framework was especially written with Amiganoid systems in mind from the ground up (I started writing it during the Battle Squadron port).
    And it is my code. If something doesn't work as expected I have a much better chance to fix up things instead of having to dig into "foreign" SDL code.

Don't worry, I know what I'm doing :-)
  • »03.09.15 - 04:38
    Profile Visit Website