Kickstarter: Tower 57 for MorphOS
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Just thread title post testing ....
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »01.06.19 - 09:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I backed it a few days ago for a boxed version.

"News" from February:

"Unfortunately, Tower 57 did not perform good enough in the long term to allow me to create the boxed version of the game. I sincerely apologize for this situation. I have tried as hard and as long as I could to keep this campaign promise, but with the game's revenue dwindling I was forced to look for a more "traditional" job in order to start repaying the personal debt I have accumulated throughout the development of the game."
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/514621648/tower-57/posts/2414486
  • »23.07.19 - 16:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Just as an update to all . . . .

After I PM'd and emailed Daytona675x about this issue, we discussed this updating issue, and though I know he is looking into the issue, believed to be something to do with a server issue accessing the update files, I have not had a definitive update from Daniel as yet, but, as I said before in this thread when I do get a reply I will do so, unless Daytona675x does do himself before I get a chance to do so. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »24.07.19 - 02:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I backed it a few days ago for a boxed version.

"News" from February:

"Unfortunately, Tower 57 did not perform good enough in the long term to allow me to create the boxed version of the game. I sincerely apologize for this situation. I have tried as hard and as long as I could to keep this campaign promise, but with the game's revenue dwindling I was forced to look for a more "traditional" job in order to start repaying the personal debt I have accumulated throughout the development of the game."
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/514621648/tower-57/posts/2414486

That's pretty rough. There were hundreds of people due a boxed copy and the crowdfund hit its goal. At least the game is very polished. I bought it digitally, well after the crowdfund.
  • »24.07.19 - 16:52
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    That's pretty rough. There were hundreds of people due a boxed copy and the crowdfund hit its goal. At least the game is very polished. I bought it digitally, well after the crowdfund.

I had ordered the boxed copy but if you read the full update he has at least managed to arrange an alternative reward with 11-bit as a consolation.
  • »24.07.19 - 17:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

"Unfortunately, Tower 57 did not perform good enough in the long term (...) I was forced to look for a more "traditional" job in order to start repaying the personal debt I have accumulated throughout the development of the game."

Well, so much about more quality games for MorphOS. (sigh)
  • »24.07.19 - 17:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

"Unfortunately, Tower 57 did not perform good enough in the long term (...) I was forced to look for a more "traditional" job in order to start repaying the personal debt I have accumulated throughout the development of the game."

Well, so much about more quality games for MorphOS. (sigh)

I was unaware he expected this game to be his full time income. The Amiga NG market, even if you include all variants, is simply not big enough to support someone full time. Certainly not a single game. It's a shame.
  • »24.07.19 - 20:54
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:
    I was unaware he expected this game to be his full time income. The Amiga NG market, even if you include all variants, is simply not big enough to support someone full time. Certainly not a single game. It's a shame.

I think you're mixing things a little bit up.

Benitosub, the guy who kickstarted & wrote the original PC game perhaps did write this game full time, seeing it as full time income for some time. And unfortunally failed commercially. :-(

Daytona675x who did the excellent AmigaNG ports (and improved the speed of the engine a lot during this process!) did not do this as his full time job, neither he expected to do so. He's still in the Amiga scene and maybe already contemplating future projects. Who knows? ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »24.07.19 - 23:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:

Benitosub, the guy who kickstarted & wrote the original PC game perhaps did write this game full time, seeing it as full time income for some time. And unfortunally failed commercially. :(

Daytona675x who did the excellent AmigaNG ports (and improved the speed of the engine a lot during this process!) did not do this as his full time job, neither he expected to do so. He's still in the Amiga scene and maybe already contemplating future projects. Who knows? ;-)

Well said!

It is a shame that the original developer did not get the level of success that he had hoped for from Tower 57 sales on all platforms, but hopefully he will learn from this experience, and go into his next project with more realistic expectations, so that the result will seem to him to be more successful, and he will be encouraged to continue doing the excellent work that he can do. Given that he is a fan of the Amiga community, including MorphOS users as well, I wish him well, and don't want this experience to dampen his enthusiasm for pursuing his art form.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.07.19 - 23:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:

Benitosub, the guy who kickstarted & wrote the original PC game perhaps did write this game full time, seeing it as full time income for some time. And unfortunally failed commercially. :-(

Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I did read it wrong.
  • »25.07.19 - 02:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Sure thing, Daytona is a skilled coder and did a massive huge task porting the game for us (despite the numerous bugs the code was plagued with). But the content didn't get from nowhere. All these level/character graphics, music, sounds, level design - just read the credits at the end of the game - a lot of people were involved in creating Tower57 and I somehow doubt that would happen ever again.
  • »25.07.19 - 08:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I somehow doubt that would happen ever again.

You mean an Amiga porting/coding wizard like Daytona675x porting a closed-source Windows/macOS game to OS4, MorphOS and/or AROS?

(Btw, Wings Remastered for OS4/MorphOS/AROS is still to be released.)
  • »25.07.19 - 10:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I somehow doubt that would happen ever again.

You mean an Amiga porting/coding wizard like Daytona675x porting a closed-source Windows/macOS game to OS4, MorphOS and/or AROS?

Yep.
  • »25.07.19 - 12:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    Sad to read this. I backed this project for the boxed version.
    But I'm not angry, just sorry for backers and for BenitoSub and his team...

But, I have a good news for Tower 57 MorphOS fan ! ;)
    Until a few days, I couldn't play it with a dual stick gamepad (I tried a lot of gamepads, fully working with others games but not with Tower 57, I modified the controllers_mos.ini files without success, etc.)...
    I tried an XBox 360 USB Gamepad this week-end and it works perfectly ! And without modification ! (true plug&play ^^)

So, I bought 2 XBox 360 gamepad (a wireless with USB adaptor and a wire USB version). I'll test those when I'll receive it and I'll tell you if they work.

--
    /me likes this game so much, and is very impressed by the wonderful work of Daytona to port it to MorphOS !
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »31.07.19 - 11:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    jPV : I have two PS4's controllers too but they don't work with Tower 57 (no problem with others games...).

How did you do this trick ? ;-)
    Did you modify the configuration in Poseidon ? Here and by default, it's a "Wireless controller", binding usbaudio.class and hid.class, and it merges port 1 to USB.
    Or maybe the controllers_mos.ini ? A [Wireless controller] configuration is in my .ini file but Tower 57 doesn't recognize my PS4' controller...

It's like Tower 57 doesn't recognize HID controllers. But it recognizes automagically the XBox360's controller which uses xbox360.class...

I bang my head on the wall ! :-D

--
    /me maybe bought XBox360's controllers for nothing ! :-D
  • »31.07.19 - 21:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    XBox360's controller with wire and wireless version work both directly and perfectly with Tower 57 ! I'm happy ! ^^

I hope that I'll succeed in using PS4's controller one day.

--
    /me is happy ! :-D
  • »02.08.19 - 21:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

BatteMan wrote:
    XBox360's controller with wire and wireless version work both directly and perfectly with Tower 57 ! I'm happy ! ^^

Can you play in two player co-op game using two controllers (I'm not sure but I seem to remember that Tower57 supports two players)?
  • »03.08.19 - 07:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    koszer : It fully works with 2 XBox360's controllers !

PS : The wireless plugin "mounts" 4 xbox360.class in Poseidon, so I think you could "connect" 4 controllers to 1 wireless plugin ! But I only have 1 wireless controller...

--
    /me hopes the update server of Tower 57 will be OK soon.
  • »03.08.19 - 08:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

BatteMan wrote: /me hopes the update server of Tower 57 will be OK soon.

If you contact Daytona675x via his email - from the game archive - he will almost certainly supply you with the missing update(s) which you can install manually.

I've not heard back from him since my last message - update on this forum/thread, and in any case he's probably busy getting things ready for heading to GamesCom between 20 to 24-8-2019, so I've no further update from him at this stage
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.08.19 - 10:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: If you contact Daytona675x via his email - from the game archive

I tried to send an email but it doesn't work anymore (mail @goldencode.de).
    In fact, with my new installation of Tower 57, I don't have the relnotes.txt (the release note file) anymore...
    And I'm pretty sure there is an other email in this file.

I'll try to find it on a backup (if I backuped it ^^)

--
    /me actually uses version 10 of MorphOS executable, from an another backup, and it works. But update maybe requires others updated files...
  • »03.08.19 - 19:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

BatteMan wrote:
    jPV : I have two PS4's controllers too but they don't work with Tower 57 (no problem with others games...).

How did you do this trick ? ;-)
    Did you modify the configuration in Poseidon ? Here and by default, it's a "Wireless controller", binding usbaudio.class and hid.class, and it merges port 1 to USB.
    Or maybe the controllers_mos.ini ? A [Wireless controller] configuration is in my .ini file but Tower 57 doesn't recognize my PS4' controller...

It's like Tower 57 doesn't recognize HID controllers. But it recognizes automagically the XBox360's controller which uses xbox360.class...

OK, I made some tests now, and found some interesting things. I have two DualShock4 controllers, but only my older one does get binded to xbox360.class and it works with Tower 57. The newer one does have multiple interfaces (several for audio and one HID) and this doesn't work with Tower 57!

So, I think it's that controllers binded to xbox360.class are using sensors.library and only this is supported by Tower 57?

Another interesting thing is that when I have that non-working pad connected to the machine, it reports some values constantly to Poseidon even when I don't touch it, and it also makes constant 50% CPU load, not nice at all! The working one doesn't do any useless CPU load when idling.

Here are the specs of my older PS4 pad: dualshock4old.jpg
    and how it looks in Poseidon: dualshock4old.png

And here's the newer one specs: dualshock4new.jpg
    and in Poseidon: dualshock4new.png

Maybe jaca has some comments about these?

PS. Tower 57's updater thing hits on MorphOS now... that's not nice... here's the log.
  • »04.08.19 - 09:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    jPV : That's it ! My 2 PS4's controllers are new version... And they also "use" 50% of CPU !
    Maybe a new "xbox360.class" will solve this ;)

NewSense : Daniel answered me and I now have v12 of Tower 57. For information, the problem with the server is not solved yet.
    Thank you for your advice.

--
    /me will try to find others PS4's controllers.
  • »04.08.19 - 22:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Batteman - I thought you'd get updated quickly, as Daniel, aka Daytona675x is a very efficient guy, and thanks for the server update. 8-)

[ Edited by NewSense 04.08.2019 - 23:54 ]
  • »04.08.19 - 23:53